Lucio Fulci VS Dario Argento

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Dark Lord, Dec 12, 2001.

?

Argento or Fulci?

1. Dario Argento

70 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Lucio Fulci

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

I voted back in 2003 and stand by my Fulci vote more than ever. As I've veered off the beaten path and watched more of his later or maligned work, I respect him even more as an artist. I'd disagree with my man Anaestheus in that Fulci's films were only as good as his crew. He used the TROLL 2 crew for DOOR INTO SILENCE, and even without much gore, violence or nudity, he was still able to create a really exciting, provocative and personal picture that ranks right up there with his more renowned work. I see a lot more of Fulci's personality in his films - Argento's I see more flash but less intrigue. Argento has some amazingly personal and deep pictures, like Tenebre or The Stendhal Syndrome, don't get me wrong, but when you look at the entire body of work - and both have sizable ones, Fulci's to me always come through with a lot more heart. Fulci really wins the battle if you look only at their later careers, since Argento's films seem to be getting worse and worse with each telling, while Fulci put up some of his most interesting stuff, like DOOR or CAT IN THE BRAIN, before kicking the bucket.

Regardless, thank god we have both of 'em!

2. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Most everything Argento did Lynch did and did it better. When I want dream logic nightmares I usually reach for Eraserhead or El Topo. But when I want Fulchi theres only one place to go. :D

Dont get me wrong I love Dario, they all get play here, even the more maligned ones like Mother of Tears and Pelts, but Fulchi is fucking Fulchi. I only wish he made more movies. The only one I havent seen is Lizard. And Im kinda putting off seeing that because I know I wont have any more to look forward to.

3. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I really can't choose...I enjoy their films equally.

I love the exploitive and grimy nature of Fulci's films, and I love Argento's style and the way he shoots his murder scenes to look like works of fucking art!

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Are you saying Lynch's films are better for making no sense? Or, that they're better because they actually make sense?

Anyway, Argento and Lynch are completely incompatable. You say you love Dario but you prefer Lynch. So, this is coming from someone who doesn't like Lynch at all: I love Dario and these guys are nothing alike. Hell, I'm surprised you didn't try to mention De Palma in connection with Argento because those directors have a lot more in common than him and Lynch. (Oh, and... Cronenberg trumps Lynch. And - for me - so do Peter Weir, Bernard Rose, and George Sluizer).

As for Fulci... there's no way to take him seriously. People who try just don't get it. They're expressing more in themselves than anything else. Which can be amusing to read, so I'm not knocking it. Anymore. Though I agree with stephen36 on New York Ripper and want to quote a friend from another message board, it's: "bullshit shitting shit." Absolutely one of the worst films ever made, judging mostly by content and lack of respect for the audience's intelligence.

5. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

About the same as the quote I was responding to. :lol: