LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS coming in May from Synapse

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Jeremy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

After an eternity on Synapse's "coming soon" list, Johan Vandewoestijne's Lucker the Necrophagus finally has specs, a release date and full cover art. Below is Synapse's official press release:

YOUR DEATH IS ONLY THE BEGINNING!

LONG-LOST BELGIAN GORE/HORROR SICKO CLASSIC LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS COMES TO DVD IN MAY FROM SYNAPSE FILMS

GORY CULT CLASSIC MAKES ITS AMERICAN DVD DEBUT IN A NEWLY-REMASTERED DIRECTOR’S CUT​

John Lucker is a deeply disturbed serial rapist and killer. Locked up in a clinic after committing eight murders—and keeping the dead bodies around for his own sexual pleasure!—Lucker manages to escape and flees to the city, searching for the one lone survivor of his previous killing spree. His disgusting rampage continues and more people die one by one. Lucker must find and kill the woman who escaped him the first time…and this time, no one will get in his way!

In 1986, a young film school student named Johan Vandewoestijne shocked the film community in Belgium by creating one of the most disturbing, controversial and gory films to ever be released in that country. With little money and a love for the horror genre, Vandewoestijne won the hearts of horror fans worldwide with his little film called LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS. For many years, LUCKER was one of the most sought-after and widely distributed films on the “grey market.” Originally released only on VHS, LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS was distributed poorly; the original film materials were destroyed and LUCKER officially became a “lost” film for over a decade. Now, more than twenty years later, director Vandewoestijne has created the ultimate version of his shocking masterpiece, using the only existing video materials in his possession. Do you dare experience LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS for yourself?

Horrific Special Features Include:

• 16:9 anamorphic, director-supervised and approved widescreen transfer
    of the Lucker Director’s Cut (68 minutes)
    • English audio version
    • Original VHS version of Lucker the Necrophagus, presented in English
    with Dutch subtitles (74 minutes)
    • LUCKER: THE STORY BEYOND THE FILM featurette

Look for Synapse Films’ Special Edition DVD of LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS in stores on May 20th, 2008, at a retail price of $19.95.

For further information on LUCKER THE NECROPHAGUS, as well as other Synapse Films titles, please visit our website at www.synapse-films.com or visit the Synapse Blog at www.synapsefilms.blogspot.com or our MySpace page at www.myspace.com/synapsefilms.

Attached Files:

2. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

that's some pretty cool artwork there!

I must say, Johan Vandewoestijne isn't very well known in Belgium, except maybe amongst hardcore horror fans. His films aren't always the best, but you can tell he loves the horror genre. He didn't do much horror after that: Rabid Grannies and Parts of the Family ... two pretty lame Troma efforts.

I'm glad to see this one gets a good treatment, as it has never been released here in Belgium. All I have is a DVD-R copy of an old VHS tape ... guess I'll give it a spin tonight :)

3. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'll definitely pick this one up.

4. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Heard this was one sick film. Can't say the cover artwork is all that good though.

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm hoping Synapse has it available on their table at Cinema Wasteland. Get it a bit early. :)

6. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

there has been an official (Benelux) release of this movie a couple of months ago (http://www.filmfreaks.nl/filmdetail.asp?id=586) and it has almost the same specs (difference being that the Benelux version is NOT anamorphic)

i'm wondering if the quality of the Synapse DVD is going to be better, since the Benelux edition is quite crap (at times VERY soft image, though i'm thinking this is due to poor elements available)

as for this movie being called sick... except for 1 scene, nothing you haven't seen before with quite cheap effects (most of the gore is "after the facts" and a variety of "knife in flesh" effects)

i was actually a bit disappointed with this, also :

Johan Vandewoestijne (or John Desert as he is also called) produced Rabid Grannies (direction there by Emmanuel Kervyn) and that one is MUCH better and gorier than this

still, those who are interested, dig in, as it will be one of the only movies ever made that can prove that Belgium is as much capable as any other country in making utter trash :lol:

7. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I'll be really interested to read some reviews when it comes out because when I saw it a couple years back (admittedly a really poor quality copy), I was completely underwhelmed by the distinct lack of gore and general dullness of the film. I thought perhaps maybe I saw a cut version or something.

8. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

hey, I didn't know about that one. Thanks for the heads up! Are you sure the disc isn't anamorphic, because the site you refered to says it is.

You can say that again! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  9. Vile

Vile Guest

It's definitely a sickie. Looking forward to the Synapse dvd.

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

"using the only existing video materials"???
    Not "film" materials?
    If that's the case, I am not so sure I will want to buy this.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sickie? Tell me more, I don't know this one...

12. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The Chaostar:

Don't dismiss Lucker quite yet. This isn't a matter of Synapse not finding the best elements available: they found the ONLY elements available. The original negatives of Lucker were destroyed nearly twenty years ago, with the only remaining complete copy being on video tape (with permanent Dutch subtitles). The director eventually found that the original processing lab still had bits and pieces of the film: rejected or alternate takes, and even some new snippets of violence and gore that the distributor removed from the film before it was released. This is what the director used to create a newer, slightly different version of Lucker.

Synapse cleaned up the newer version; remastered and anamorphic, it should look as good as it ever will.

You get to see both versions on the DVD, so give it a chance!

13. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Is this movie worth a blind buy? I didnt give it any thought untill you guys started discussing it.Thanks to you guys im broke but I watched alot of movies I normaly wouldnt have :banana:

Sean

14. The Chaostar

That's what I was afraid of...

from DVDTALK

"Lucker is cobbled together from 'the only existing materials' in the director's possession, as all the original film materials were destroyed. Ooh does it show. It's like watching something patched together from multiple fifth-generation VHS dubs. Soft image, wildly varying colors (none of them close to naturalistic) film grain and damage, image jumps and skips, posterizing, shimmering, and if the image wasn't so fuzzy I'm sure there'd be aliasing too. Whatever you can think of in terms of poor quality, it's here. But hey, it's a lost film right? The director's cut is presented in a 16 x 9 (1.85:1 ratio) anamorphic transfer. Included also is the 74-minute VHS version from a master with Dutch subtitles. For my money this version - despite a few instances of tape damage and most everything described above - is slightly better visually, because the source, color and overall quality is at least uniform."

15. The Chaostar

And now I wonder... Could the picture look worse than TOUCH OF DEATH?

16. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Probably. The film itself is probably more interesting, though.

17. The Chaostar

If bootlegs out there look the same... why bother?

18. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I read about this title for many years, and finally got to see it thanks to Synapse's new DVD. The picture quality is not great, but i found it to be totally watchable. Even from a VHS source, the quality is better than average. The movie is pretty sick and there are a few scenes that will stick in your head. Definitely up there with Nekromantik and Maniac in terms of uncompromising horror. Thanks Synapse for doing the best job possible with the materials available, and letting the world get a chance to see this rare slice of low budget Euro-horror!

19. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Lucker quality

I just watched Lucker last night...

Chaostar asks what the point is in buying the DVD if it looks the same as the bootlegs:

Well, for one thing, the remastered version actually looks better than the VHS, and there are no burned-in subtitles. The sound quality gets a tweak, too. DVDTalk overstates the lack of quality. To me, the changes in film stock don't stand out any more than those in the Anchor Bay release of the uncut Profondo Rosso. Lucker was an incredibly low budget film shot by a first-time director, and the new version: there will be rough edges no matter what.
    What stands out more than the picture quality is the odd editing here and there where it's obvious they had to mix similar alternate shots to create a whole sequence.

By buying the DVD, you'll be making sure that the director gets some compensation for his work (which was literally stolen from him because of the lousy distributor and subsequent destruction of the original film elements). With a legit release in the US, bootlegs of Lucker are questionable purchases, as the whole reason for buying them (availablity) goes out the window.

The DVD release has a great documentary that details the complicated history of Lucker.

Me? I'm happy I bought it. I get a notorious slice of history, plus two versions of the film and a documentary...for 16 bucks.

20. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

Just watched the vhs version and plan on watching the director's cut in a little bit. I think this is a fairly decent slasher pick but I can't help but think about Nekromantik the whole time I was watching it. I like the cheap score and there is some cool cinematography as well as some overall effective scenes.