Macabre

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Cujo108, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Now, as much as I love DEMONS, I think Lamberto Bava's first film, MACABRE, is easily his best, and a true gem of the Italian horror genre at that. Some claim it is boring, while others claim that it's "ridiculous shock ending" ruins the whole film, but I have to disagree completely. I find it quite captivating, and while the end is rather cheesy once you think about it, I actually sorta like it, and think it works despite going against the rest of the film.

Anyhow, this film is very suspenseful, and a bit creepy in an oddly disturbing way. Bava's direction is top notch here, and he strikes a perfect balance in the mood. I never thought it bordered on camp. It's his most polished work in my opinion.

The storyline itself is really intriguing to me, and Bava plays it out wonderfully. The little bitch of a girl is also a character you just love to hate. She's a great addition to this film, and a big part of why it works so well.

This film is quite underrated, and it deserves better. Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. Now, to those who have seen it, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I still gotta pick it up, thx for the review i'll put it at the top of the list.:)

3. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Some of the music was interesting and the ending was pretty crazy, and oh yeah those fake-ass New Orleans accents were funny as hell but the rest........:sleepy:

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I've been dying to pick this up, but it keeps getting bumped off the order list by something else. Nice to see a positive review on it for once though :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  5. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I finally got around to watching this last night since I really didn't think it would be that great. It turned out to be a pretty good movie and worth watching at least once. Just don't expect much because it's not a real "exciting" movie. Check it out.

6. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

i agree 90%!
    loved this flick since i rented it on VHS a few years ago, so of course i bought the DVD,
    it certainly has a great mood, which helps because it aint really all that exciting,
    up there with bava's "blade in the dark" and the first "demons"

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Nice review Cujo. I've seen this on tape years ago. I enjoyed it back then.
    The DVD is on my list!

8. Suicide

Suicide Guest

I thought it was pretty boring for the first hour, not bad boring mind you, it kept my interest and all, but I thought the last half hour was great. Edge of my seat kinda stuff. My little brother was in the living room eating something during a little of the finale, he was pissed. Good times.:lol: I recommend it also. Maybe not for an unseen purchase, being that it's not super cheap, but definitely worth a look.

9. Rock

Rock Member

I've rented it from Netlfix and will be checking it out this weekend, along with THE PROWLER!

10. Rock

Rock Member

OK, now that I've seen it...it reminded me of LISA AND THE DEVIL...not in terms of plot but more the way I grew so restless and irritated with the movie while it progressed, until it ended and all sunk in and kinda disturbed me...I can forgive the dubbed voices but those incredibly fake Southern accents really hurt the overall effect...and poor blind Robert, all the poor bastard wanted to do was get laid...the best part was watching Jane strangle her psychotic little bitch of a daughter...and was it just me or was the corner of the guardrail Fred drove into already red with blood before he hit it?!

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I bought the stand-alone release recently and thought it was pretty average. Didn't see the appeal really, but it had some cool moments, and that little girl was a bitch! The ending was hilarious as well.

Uh...for some reason this is showing up as before Cujo's post on my computer. Weird.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Seeing how more people have probably seen this now because of the AB double feature, I'd love to hear some more opinions on this gem if anyone would like to contribute.

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I saw this on the old "Frozen Terror" VHS that my local video store has. I need to get that double feature with A Blade in the Dark, another great film. To be honest, I think the plot to Demons is far more ridiculous than those two. Still, all are wonderful films and Lamberto Bava is very underrated. :)

14. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I saw it twice now,but the second time I was really bored with it.Still a great movie though,but I think I prefer Buio Omega over this one.

15. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I still have memories of it being pretty good and I would still recommend it. As slow is the movie is I really didn't find it boring at all. I don't know how good it is after repeat viewings though. I'd say it's probably one of those movies that would be best to re-watch only after you've forgotten all about it.

16. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Yeah, I ended up seeing this awhile back, and I completely agree with Atmims in saying that while it was slow, I was never really bored with it. It had some really creepy moments that broke up the monotony.

That little girl Lucy and the
    "shock of a life time" ending
    were the definite highlights for me. I always thought Lucy would've made a great companion to Bob (Giovanni Frezza) from House by the Cemetary in some horror flick.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I finally got to see this last night with my wife. My wife is not a horror fan, I should add. Anyway, my wife guessed the end 30 minutes into the film, so much for that punch line.

I also found the film padded for run time beyond belief. Shots on a boat, shots of a guy opening a tin - they seemed endless. We were also treated with a scene where a blind guy manages tro find a hiding place in a kitchen that can't be more than 5 feet by 8.

Honestly, I wanted to like this film, but at best it's an hour long TV episode, padded for movie length. Blade in the Dark is much much better, imo. To be honest, I was impressed that I managed to get through it without fast forwarding. Furthermore, if I had fast-forwarded, in retrospect I wouldn't have missed anything.

At best - a 2 out of 5. Sorry. I love my Italian flicks, and the dubbing was excellently funny (as always), but this one was real snoozy. Watch it again? Not anytime soon....

18. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I don't understand what all of the fuss is about over this movie. I bought the Anchor Bay DVD that had this and A Blade in the Dark on it and I was not impressed with Macabre. I think anyone who is paying any attention at all can figure out what is going on. I thought it was boring for the most part. I liked A Blade in the Dark much better.

19. Luna

Luna Guest

Count me in as one who liked the mood of this one. The music was jazzy and that little girl was one evil little bratling. I totally knew where the movie was going but I didn't much care that I guessed it because it was entertaining enough for me along the way. It's perfect lazy Saturday afternoon viewing, as far as I'm concerned.

20. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

What is it about bratty, whiny kids in Italian horror movies? Between the girl in Macabre and the incredibly annoying blond boy from A Blade in the Dark and House by the Cemetery, it's enough to wish they would be killed soon, especially that boy. Good god, I hope he didn't make any other movies I have not seen yet.