Macabre

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Cujo108, Feb 21, 2003.

1. gojira69

gojira69 Guest

Wha???

Dear dwatts, I am truly sorry for the perceived attitude. There is none. We're just discussing a movie. Well, maybe a little... ;)

This is a legit question that you should answer. Even after you replied to me and seemed miffed, I am still unclear as to your meaning. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2004
  2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Man, it's been more than three months since that post. Seriously, it's just not something I've given an ounce of thought to since then. People should make up their own mind about the movie. Reading back, I had other issues with it back then too. It's just a weak film. There's nothing else to be explained, if you don't agree, I have no problem with that :)

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Didn't see the posting date, so apologies there, but you're still skirting the issue. I think the movie is decent at best as well, but haven't seen it in a long time, and really don't remember anything that could be construed as a "punch line" other than
    the body popping up.
    If you don't remember, that's fine, but it isn't a ridiculous question I'm asking here.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

*sigh* What "issue"? That's an issue for you? Trust me, it's not an issue, I simply don't seem to think it's really that important three months later is all. The film isn't all that good, my wife didn't like it. I reckon that's enough :) Maybe if you'd asked three months ago I'd have felt more inclined to worry about it.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I watched this again last night and I'd forgotten just how fucking great it is. That little girl... those fake New Orleans accents... the "love" scenes... it was all too much for me. :lol:

It also may be one of the most disgusting movies ever made. :nervous:

6. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

You mean the soup? ;)

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

No, I mean the chick making out with that damn head. :(

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Well,I don't know what ;) means anymore....

Anyway I didn't find it that disgusting.Though the idea,that it was based on a true story from the papers,is.
    I wonder why Pupi Avati didn't make this movie himself.It would have been a classic.
    It's still a fine movie but I haven't seen it in some time because I almost fell asleep the last time.It's time I watched it again.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I think it's my favorite Lamberto Bava film. Yes, even better than Demons and its sequel.

A Blade in the Dark is good, but kinda puts me to sleep. It has some great murder setpieces, though.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck what a boring movie. im all for a slow build, but this didn't build shit. it was an hour and 15 minutes of nothing followed by 15 minutes of schlock. ugh. guess it took bava the younger a few films to "find himself".

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Only one of his best movies.
    He was "finding himself" when he was an assisting director for his father.
    When he shot Macabre he already knew well what he was doing.

Also, don´t look Macabre as full head on horror movie, it´s not.
    It´s more like a thiller with twists of terror.

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I love Macabre. The slow burn is what made me appreciate it more. I prefer it even to Blade in the Dark, which I find to be overrated and a bit dull.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I know that he cut his teeth assisting his dad, as well as ghost directing Shock, more or less. So yes, he definitely had some experience under his belt. But what I meant was that it took him at lest 2 films (Blade in the Dark, while better, has its fair share of dull moments) to figure out how to tell a story.

I'm not trying to start a venomous argument here, but seriously, I can't understand how anybody could like this. Like I said, I can appreciate a good slow building movie. But there isn't any building at all in this. No one is in jeopardy, no one is working towards anything, there's no drama, no conflict, or even a story. There is, quite literally, nothing going on. She goes for a walk, he makes dinner, and her daughter sneaks around her appartment, etc. That's it. There's no tension about anything, until we see whats in the fridge (the surprise of which has been spoiled thanks to arrow's dvd cover). Once we see whats in the fridge, and there's finally something going on, the movie actually becomes worth watching. But that reveal should have happened 45 minutes earlier. Once the last 15 minutes begin, it actually becomes interesting. I liked the final scene, although I thought it was something Pieces pulled off better. Lamberto has done some good work, although none of it comes close to his father's. He's a perfectly adequate director. But the worst thing a movie can do is be boring, and this had over an hour in which nothing happens. At all. What's the justification for that? It's not like there's any character development during these scenes. It just plods on showing the mundane activities of their daily lives.

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Couldn't of said it better myself Dave. Preach on brother!!!!

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yep, I agree. The movie was incredibly boring and the ending was stupid. I might have enjoyed the ending more had the rest of the movie not been so bad but by that time it was pretty much a lost cause. Maybe someday I'll give it another chance but I doubt I'll be willing to sit through this again any time soon.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

No worries, you just stated your opinion and I just stated mine.
    After all, every movie in history is loved by some and hated by others.

I respect your opinion.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

absolutely. cool.