Macceth reference in Argento's Opera

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Yeah sure, the whole movies is based around the "Scottish play".
    But.... recently I heard a passage which struck me. I'm not into Shakespeare, nor have I learned any of it in school. That's more for the English speaking countries I guess. So probably many of you already noticed it.
    So, what am I talking about?
    When the killer's eye is plucked by the raven it's just because it's nasty and it's an Argento horror movie, right?
    Until discovered this:
    Coincidence, I hardly think so!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Macceth? :D

I've never been a big Shakespeare fan either. I read some of it back in school of course...

I find the enigma of whether he actually wrote any of the plays, etc. credited to him far more intriguing.

3. Crystal Plumage

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I seem to recall there being an "out damn spot" type moment in there too. Or am I mixing up my horror? It's been maybe a decade since I've seen it.

Also
    Cristina Marsillach goes Ophelia in the end, like in 'Hamlet.' I always liked that.

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Being an English major, I've been fascinated by Shakespeare for as long as I can remember. The amount of complexity of his characters, intricacy in his stories, and depth in his dialogue has always been superbly enthralling and completely influential. Every artist, directly or indirectly, has in some way been influenced by Shakespeare, no question.

Argento has always gone the extra mile to wrap his dark pictures in interesting complexities and references. Suspiria has an obvious Grimm Fairy Tales quality, The Stendhal Syndrome weaves Rembrandt into its vision, while Inferno represents a striking ode to the late Mario Bava. The Macbeth reference in Opera and Hamlet reference in Phenomena (mentioned above) are other great examples of this.

Argento always sprinkled his films with subtle references to other artistic mediums. Whether through dialogue, shot composition, or narrative, the effect always remained fascinating. It's a prime example of why Argento's films were always one above everything else being released during their time. His pictures, simply, were strong enough to uncover such absorbing strokes.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Crystal Plumage

Hey Arif! Welcome back!

7. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Ciao!

I'm finally getting back to the forums. It feels great to be back! Exploring the site brings back so many fun memories.

It seems I got burned out on cinema about a year ago, plus I studied abroad in Italy this past fall (Awesome experience!). But I feel the fire rekindling once more.

How have you guys been?