Mad Love

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Wow. This is one of the best of the 30's horror cycle. Karl Freund really knew how to make them. I'd certainly go as far as to say this is a better film than The Mummy.

Of course, it relies heavily on Peter Lorre's performance, with is simply excellent. It's like he's pulled his character from "M" and empowered it, driving it in a different direction. From the deep caring of the surgeon, to the love of beauty, to the crazed ramblings of a mad man - Lorre does it all.

Man, what they could do with 69 minutes! I just loved seeing this last night. It's stodd the test of time, so certainly doesn't need my recommendation - but if you haven't gotten the DVD yet, you need to rea h into your pocket for the wallet. Stunning movie making.

2. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

What a great film! I like this back to back with Face Behind the Mask. Lorre was an incredible actor.

3. Dbone

Dbone Guest

Sweet jesus... I thought you were talking about the movie with Drew Barrymore and Chris O'Donnell from the 90's

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I love this film, one of my favorites...in fact, thanks to this thread, I now feel the need to watch it again :D

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Eh, I found it uneven in pretty much all departments. There would be high points and then low points that really made you scratch your head. There was a lot of set ups with no pay offs, the surgery sequence where he really goes crazy comes to mind. I think the script was probably butchered before shooting, and watching it I think quite a bit was edited out.

Even still there are great moments, Lorre laughing like a maniac in that neck brace was my favorite. The way he was so proud of how he drove Colin Clive nuts, the irony is delicious.