Mad Max: Fury Road - non spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, May 14, 2015.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
    Directed by George Miller

People of certain era's have quite a fond nostalgia for the original Mad Max trilogy (in particular the second installment) set in apocalyptic wasteland where people battle for survival. I however do not go in for nostalgia and have found that despite much iconic imagery that's easy to latch on to, that they have not held up very well. Which brings us to this new entry in the series which has not been marketed as a remake but another chapter in the series with a rebooted Max. There is quite a bit of borrowing of story elements from the previous films, however none of that really matters as this film stands on its own and is the first of the series to be made on a more blockbuster styled budget.

Now the positives of the film are that George Miller is a much better visual film maker than he was back in the day so this film looks fantastic most of the time. It is also much better paced than the original films, with the first two in particular being quite stilted and languid, this one very rarely stops moving and when it's moving it is at it's best. The action is mostly superb and there is very little noticeable CGi effects with only on standing out as awful (which unfortunately is at the climax of the film). An effective score that is the heartbeat of the film complements the great audio one the top of the complicated and superb visual editing. Hardy who has taken on the role that made Mel Gibson famous has the presence and look to carry the role and the rest of the cast he interacts with are strong too.

Which brings us to the negatives… whilst George Miller has become a better director, his writing has not improved and has perhaps got worse. The script can be clunky with a lot of ham fisted expository dialogue, luckily there is not that much talking in the film except for in the handful of small scenes where the film takes a breath. Some of the costuming and design work is a little over the top and not as grounded as the old films. The worst offenders are the three highest ranked villains in the film whom all look and act pretty terribly and were certainly a wasted opportunity. Also Mad Max has no real arc and his story or lack of comes second to several other characters, he really has not got much to do but be along for the ride and be badass.

Luckily the films almost non-stop car chase and well choreographed action make up for its shortcomings and make for an entertaining film that is a lot of fun on the big screen and the best of the Mad Max films. If I was rating this just against action films I would probably give it a 7.5 or an 8 and it is certainly one of the most fun and well executed action films in many years but as it is, I will give it a movie rating of….

6.5/10

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

THis is a reader review, it is in the correct section

4. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

This is entirely unfair of me but from the reviews I've read (all great action, not too much else) this movie seems like it should be 90 minutes long as the first two were. But to justify the large budget and hype it seems that will not fly.

I am still very excited to see it this weekend.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Believe me... this movie is perfect as it is!

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah but the film is almost all action so there are only a few small scenes that are not, they are terrible for sure but it is a small percentage of the film overall.

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Over the top? Ham fisted dialogue? Car chases? GTFO.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The hype this is getting is way over the top

9. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

As over the top as the costumes? loooooolz.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The costumes are a little over the top? What the hell kind of critique is that? As Chomp said GTFO. Films are artfoms and can be as crazy and over the top as they want to be. This is one of the aspects that elivates the film over most of the stuff I've seen lately.

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I haven't seen this yet (going tuesday) but I've always hated Thing's reviews. Reading them causes my mind to melt.

Why do I keep coming back? fuck if i know.

12. Zombie Dude

And he has to separate them from everyone else's to make it worse.

13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

umm.. they are over the top, much more so than the previous entries to the point of being cartoony, and are too over the top for me and seeings its my review, that makes sense to me.

14. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Makes your mind melt? you must have some serious issues dude

15. Zombie Dude

That's the whole point. It's definitely not a negative, it's a massive plus. I shake my head in shame at you.

16. thing

thing Well-Known Member

ok haha....