Madman Marz

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DeathDealer, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I kinda liked it but at the same time didn't. I bought it a few years back watched it and then sold the DVD. I did quite enjoy it but not enough that I would want to keep it.

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Is the UK disc better?

How's the picture quailty when compared agaisnt the two?

3. Georgef

Georgef Guest

I had the opportunity to talk to Gaylen Ross about this flick at a Cleveland convention and she had nothing…. and I mean nothing but bad things to say about Madman. After repeatedly telling her how much I enjoyed it, despite its shortcomings, she still wouldn’t say anything positive about it. I realize it’s a trash pick but I find it quite fun....by the way Gaylen was an extremely nice woman, and wasn’t rude about it, she just voiced her opinion, she’s aged nicely too, looked great.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

What kind of nasty things did she say about it? Nothing bad should ever be uttered about the film...but if you do, make sure not to do it above a whisper, because he's out there...listening...

5. Georgef

Georgef Guest

You know, I can’t remember the specifics but she didn’t seem to think much of the director or the production itself. Basically she said the whole affair wasn’t professionally done and mentioned how she and most of the actors didn’t use their real names because they thought so low of it. I’m not sure what movie Gaylen thought she was making in the first place; it was a low-budget horror movie. Maybe she was spoiled with George Romero’s filmmaking environment and thought that all low-budget horror flicks would run as smoothly.

6. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

You guys oughta listen to DEADPIT's rendition of the Madman Marz theme from a couple weeks ago......Mandolin solo and all!

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Is there a link?

As for Gaylen and much of the other cast changing their names...I thought I read (or maybe it is in the commentary) that this was done to avoid conflict with the Screen Actor's Guild, since the independent film obviously did not abide by union rules.

8. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Rhett and I have been known to do a pretty good rendition of it ourselves.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

As we float, endlessly spinning in a hot tub. The passion in our hearts beating on.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

That's because you don't need words to know, Rhett.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

You left your belt buckle at my place, Wes.

12. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I find myself singing the MadMan song that T.P. sang around the campfire at work and around the house all the time. I'd love to hear this DeadPit rendition.
    And, about that "Don't need words to know" song...it sounds like Tony Fish singing, yet in the commentary he seems in denial. I'm thinking he had high hopes of being the next Barry Manilow.

DeathDealer: The AB UK release is basicly a carbon copy of the US. Minus the liner notes, but adding a tad beefier DD 5.1 soundtrack.

13. Georgef

Georgef Guest

I dont know,that might be true but Gaylen did tell me she and others did not want their name on the film. If it was on the commentary, perhaps the director didnt want to say these people changed their names b/c they thought my film was shitty.

14. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Gunner, which one would you go for?

15. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

The US one, the liner notes are cool. Or do like me, get both! The 5.1 upmix is a halfway decent one. But no import house will touch it since a US release is so common to find. So it depends on if you want to pay the $$ to ship it from the UK.

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of 80s slasher movies and had been hearing about this for a while, but was disappointed. It seemed like the whole movie was just characters being stupid and picked off one by one. The deaths were good and I loved the ending, but to me this was no classic.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

HE'S REAL

HE'S REAL

HE'S REAL

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

I seriously cannot talk about this movie without impulsively wanting to yell LORE OF THE CAMPFIRE at the top of my lungs. This movie sticks with me like no other.

19. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

The U.S. release is apparently in 'moratorium' right now, at least according to our system. I've had it on order for two months and just found out it got cancelled. Always wanted to see this as I love slasher films. Maybe I'll spring for the UK release.

20. knewby

knewby Member

Ahhh....."Madman"....I love this slasher movie...great feel to it. I'm working with "HorrorHound" magazine on an article for a future issue. Paul Ehlers who played Marz will be at Chiller in Oct and here is a link to a great interview with him..................................Larry

http://iconsoffright.com/IV_Paul_Ehlers.htm