Madman

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mark Relford, May 20, 2003.

1. betterdan

betterdan Guest

What about the end song on My Bloody Valentine and my all time cheese fave Fall Break from The Mutilator:D

2. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Good slasher! I could've done without the tedious hottub scene, but the rest rocked! Madman Marz was simply misunderstood. He just wanted some company.:D
    The commentary was enjoyable. They originally considered horror legend, Vincent Price for the role of Max. That would've been something else! I liked how the movie played with some of the slasher conventions. For example:

*SPOILER ALERT!*
    I was thinking that Richie would be the first to go. He had "victim" written all over him. He started the whole mess and still survived Marz's bloody rampage.
    I had T.P. and Betsy pegged for survivors, but noooo! You can usually tell who'll live and die in these movies. Imagine my surprise!:D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just have to add that the hot tub scene cracked me up. :lol: I love really obvious breaks of the director's sanity, such as that clearly was. I mean, really, that was cheesy as hell.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Yup, that hottub scene was quite hilarious.
    Kinda reminds me of that "camp fire" scene in THE PREY, another great cheezy sequence that seemed "outta place" :lol:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  5. CJ

CJ Guest

I quite liked this movie and thought it had a good feel to it, if that makes sense.

And, I know this is a strange observation, I thought the night scenes were well lit. I don't know why, but I found those scenes particularly striking.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

7. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

It's not working. :(

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Oops, I called it maniac instead of madman. Great, now I am getting my 80's slashers confused. :D

It works now.

9. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Awesome! So, that's why you're rhett!

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I just watched this bad boy again, once with the commentary and once without, and I liked it way better the second time around. The DVD looks a whole lot better than the VHS tape I watched it on, and I quite admired the widescreen cinematography and overall direction. The night scenes sure do look good, I love that blue hue, it is very HALLOWEEN-ish.

And of course the music is fantastic, definitely a high point of synthesizer scores for 80's slashers. And come on guys, how can you not like that hot tub scene? I thought it was an absolute riot, definitely some of the best cheese I have ever seen! :D

Madman Marz is one scary son of a bitch, he definitely has the upper hand on all those scrony little momma's boys like Jason and Michael. I'd almost go as far as to say he is the best slasher character out there. I love how they incorporated the whole campfire legend as his background, because that is essentially what these slasher films are anyway, scary campfire tales.

I thought the commentary was great too. They shed a lot of light on low budget filmmaking, and there were plenty of funny moments. I did find it odd how they kept referring to Gaylen Ross as "Alexis" though. I know that was how she was credited in the film, but why wouldn't they call her by her real name. Really, letting the cat out of the bag now would not hurt her career any. But maybe it isn't Ms. Ross, and just someone who looks damn like her? You never know in this day and age with internet rumors and the like...

11. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i just watched this too last night ,one of my all time favorites, i'm surprised they didn't have trouble with the mpaa.

12. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I got this as a companion to The Burning since they're both based on the same thing and I have to say,I really enjoyed it.There were a few of the characters that I couldn't wait to see get killed like the one who hides in the fridge LOL I liked the ending as well.I'm kinda surprised that they didn't make another.

13. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I really liked this movie. Madman Marz scared the shit out of me the first time I saw him. The setting for this movie was great and creepy. The only problem I have with this movie (other than the fact that the actress from Dawn of the Dead went by a different name) was the fact that the guy who was the reason Madman went on his rampage lived at the end.

14. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

First time viewing. Great camp slasher! Man, the first time we catch a glimpse of Madman Marz--very effective. In fact, very solid use of a killer in this. Not overdone, kept very much a mystery, and what peeks we do get are very bizarre: the hair, the lumbering, the reptilian hands.

Now, the campers are pretty dumb, and that hot tub scene! What a seduction, lemme tell ya. Round and round we go. The ending is fairly odd. Why let yourself get caught by such a slow killer? Here...comes...the...a.x.e...not yet...not....yet. Now! Butwhatever, this should not be OOP. It was a hoot.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

I envy you, man. What I'd give to see this baby for the first time once more. I definitely agree with your appraisal of the killer - every single shot a wonderfully effective, the cinematography with all the silhouettes or that awesome opening dolly on his swinging axe really help make him my favorite of all slasher murderers. That fat lumbering frame, too, compared to the steroid-big look of most slashers, makes the guy even more of a force.

The movie gets it both ways, though, since there are plenty of very scary, effective moments with the killer, yet there are just as many fun, campy moments with the bad actors and odd ball situations. In addition to the hot tub scene, the whole lionhearted speech about the axe in the stump and then that girl who hides in the fridge are also both priceless.

It's been a couple years since I've watched it...if I wasn't neck deep in horror television (Tales from the Darkside and Friday the 13th: The Series) then I'd be all over this. I think I'll save it for a good October viewing with the girlfriend. Thanks for sharing, Workshed.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Yes, the fridge! I mean, how deep did that axe originally sink into Marz's skull to let him get fooled by that hiding spot? (Although I really enjoyed the POV from within the fridge while Marz prowled around, also seemingly deaf to the girl's unmuffled whimpers.) And the axe-in-the-stump? The less said the better. Two grown men giving an axe handle a good tug. Who doesn't have memories like that from camp?

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

I think they confused "camp" for "Camelot". That shit is right out of THE SWORD AND THE STONE.

18. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

classic moment is slasher history :p

19. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

Thought I'd let you guys know that the good folks at DEADPIT.com (more in-particular me) will be presenting Madman in 35mm at the Georgetown Drive-In on Friday August 14th (tentative) in Georgetown Indiana...in conjunction of course with Louisville's Fright Night Film Fest.

Oh Yeah...Madman himself Paul Ehlers will be there as well!

For all the details stay tuned to http://www.deadpit.com and http://www.frightnightfilmfest.com

20. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Man, I would absolutely love to see this on a big screen...wish I lived in Indiana! This movie is a true slasher classic, and one of my all-time favorite horror movies. The atmosphere is fantastic, and aside from Jason and Michael there is no better slasher killer in any movie I have seen. I don't understand how any fan of the genre could not love this one! Seriously, this movie is definitely top five of my personal favorites list.