Manhattan Baby and animal cruelty..and censorship

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Just watched this again. And no, it isn't a great film. And yes, it has many flaws.. On the plus side, it has some great moments throughout.

There's a scene where a cobra is shot two or three times in the head. No FX, just bullets. Nobody ever mentioned this in reviews (perhaps they slept through it?)

But it made me wonder about the BBFC (British censors).
    Cannibal Apocalypse couldn't get passed uncut because of a two (2!) second fragment of a rat being burned to death.
    But the snake scene mentioned above is more like ten or fifteen seconds long, and yet nobody talks about it.
    It's quite a nasty scene if you think about it. Reminds me of the snake scene in Margheriti's Castle of Blood (another animal cruelty scene nobody talks about)

Do people hate snakes? Or is it because that poor rat made a noise which the lovely people at the BBFC couldn't cope with?

Strange thing, censorship.....

2. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I think it's because what would you do if you saw a cobra? YOu'd probably shoot it in the head. What would you do if you saw a rat? I wouldn't set it on fire.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Guess horrorlover carries a gun around in case a killer snake comes his way.

4. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I've noticed this phenomenon with other movies. It seems that as long as the animal isn't cute and cuddly, the censors and audience lets the whole animal cruelty aspect pass. In the first Friday the 13th movie, a mainstream film, the counsellors behead a real snake and yet I never hear anyone kick up a fuss about it. Recently, I watched Jesus Franco's Bloody Moon and again, a snake is quite graphically beheaded and they even close in on the decapitated head still twitching, and yet no word of this. Selective censorship is weird indeed.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Insects are frequently killed onscreen too,I'm sure that upsets some folks as well.

Reptiles frequently have met bad ends on camera,and you're right,I think it's a case of animal P.R. Cute and cuddly getting killed upsets people,cold blooded creatures create less outcry.If a creature has a cute face and big eyes it generally gets a free pass.It's the non glamourous creatures who don't make it through the final reel.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Cue this up to 9:10 for the reason some animals are killed and others loved. Wish I could ind a shorter link with the same joke/truth. Or if you don't want to wait to load, here's the transcipt:

Red meat, white meat, blue meat, meat-o-fucking-rama. You will eat it. Because not eating meat is a decision. Eating meat is an instinct! Yeah! And I know what it's about. "I don't want to eat the meat because I love the animals. I love the animals." Hey, I love the animals too. I love my doggy. He's so cute. My fluffy little dog.. He's so cute- There's the problem. We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually. "What are you?" "I'm an otter." "And what do you do?" "I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands." "You're free to go." "And what are you?" "I'm a cow." "Get in the fucking truck, ok pal!" "But I'm an animal." "You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!" "I'm an animal, I have rights!" "Yeah, here's yer fucking cousin, get on the fucking truck, pal!" We kill the cows to make jackets out of them and then we kill each other for the jackets we made out of the cows.

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yup, rat = mammal = cute, while snake = reptile = untrustworthy back-biting motherfucker.

I'm sure the poor, cute cows would get much more sympathy if we didn't love our burgers, leather jackets and basesball gloves so much!

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I'm pretty sure more people keep snakes as a pet in stead of sewer rats..