"Maniac" Remake in Production: Elijah Wood signs on.

Discussion in 'General' started by Uncle Jay, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Awesome! Pre-ordered through the link at the top of the site!

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to check this out. It's very competently done. And it retains the original's commitment to realistic, nihilistic gore. I'd even argue that it's technically and dramatically superior to Lustig's original. The budding relationship between Frank and Anna is presented more realistically (for a while). And it's very slickly shot. Everyone would do well to check this out.

All that said, this movie doesn't have nearly the same impact as the original. It conjures very little of the sweaty, claustrophobic, grungy, sleazy feel that makes Lustig's movie such a unique work. And Wood's relatively reserved Zito isn't nearly as memorable as Joe Spinell's bug-eyed, perspiring loony. The protagonist and setting are so vividly characterized in the original. By comparison the remake is a much more generic work. It's a better film on an objective scale. But it doesn't resonate like the original. I don't believe it's as unsettling either. I'd much rather take my chances with Wood than Spinell.

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I didn't much like the original or this one. They are stylistically very different, I think I preferred the newer ones execution but wouldn't go above 4/10 for me.

4. marcx

marcx New Member

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This is now available for instant streaming on Netflix.

6. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

In case anyone might be interested, Mondo is releasing Maniac on VHS.

http://tinyurl.com/nn92g2p

One of our favorite films (and favorite soundtracks) of 2013 is Franck Khalfoun's remake of MANIAC. Shot entirely from the point of view from the antagonist (Elijah Wood), MANIAC is an incredibly disturbing addition to the slasher genre.

Frank (Elijah Wood, The Lord of the Rings) leads a deceptively peaceful life: to the outside world, he's a withdrawn and somewhat eccentric owner of a mannequin store. But his quiet façade masks an inner rage that forces him to brutally kill the women who manage to get too close to him. When a young artist named Anna (Nora Arnezeder, Safe House) appears one day at Frank's shop and asks for his help with her new exhibition, Frank develops an obsession with her that threatens to completely destroy his already fragile psyche. Soon the streets become unsafe for any woman after dark as this newly-awakened maniac begins to stalk and kill. Based on the classic 1980 shocker, MANIAC is an intimate, visually daring, psychologically complex and profoundly horrific trip into the downward spiraling nightmare of a killer and his victims.

We are proud to make this our newest MONDO VIDEO release.

Please follow us on Twitter for the on sale announcement. This VHS will be available online at a random time on Tuesday, October 22nd.

Packaging artwork by Jeff Proctor. Released by Mondo Video. Limited edition in a clamshell case with randomly inserted purple cassette. Directed by Franck Khalfoun. $25.

[​IMG]

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Watched this tonight, and I admit up front that I'm no big fan of the original. I appreciated the griminess of it, but I didn't see much beyond that. The remake, however, brought a new level of creepiness and tension. I felt squeamish throughout--first at the gore and then at the idea that any woman should see this film. It's a collection of worst nightmares! That guy you meet on the internet? MURDERER. That guy who sees you on the street late at night? KILL YOU. The shy guy who works only with mannequins and maybe happens a have few mannequins in his backroom just for himself and also he lives back there? TOTAL SERIAL KILLER. That guy who fed ducks with you? ATTACK ATTACK.

Very disturbing first-person POV. Just sick.
    It did break twice, though, and I didn't understand why.

Also, the ending: when the "women" peel his face off, what face is underneath? Looked like a different person.

Certainly the most shocking film I will see in October.

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

My favorite score for a movie in years.

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I thought the breaking POV was meant to show a split personality type thing, but while I noticed it I didn't give it much thought, so I could be wrong.

As for the face at the end, I thought it was him as a mannequin.

10. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Good call on the second spoiler, thanks.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, the music score was really well done.

I really surprisingly enjoyed this one... it's definitely one of the better recent remakes, and not just a total ripoff of the original either. And surprise, surprise — Elijah Wood really nailed the part.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I nabbed the blu-ray of this at Best Buy yesterday for $15... score!

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Isn't it $10 or under at Amazon?

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Dude! You could have grabbed it for under $11 at Amazon! ;)

And I'm not sure anymore, but Best Buy used to price-match Amazon, so you might want to take it back and see if they'll refund the difference. Although at my Best Buy, the employees are literally dumber than doornails, so it would be futile.

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I figured $15 was a good deal for a new blu-ray. This makes it even better. I don't shop Amazon so this is a welcomed surprise. Thanks guys.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

No problem :)

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I didn't care for the subject matter, but Maniac is very well done. And count me as another who loved the soundtrack. It reminds me very much of Giorgio Moroder's work for CAT PEOPLE.

18. Vortex

Vortex Member

Never was a huge fan of the original Maniac, so decided to give this a shot. Considering the same director did the dull P2, I was impressed. Not a great movie, but for what it was, it worked well and was better than anything Aja has done since Haute Tension.

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Retarted but I am sure Katatonia already ordered one.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I liked this movie a lot. Definitely one of the better remakes to come out in this "horror remake phase." Like others have mentioned, the soundtrack is awesome. I plan on buying it off amazon here soon.