"Maniac" remake on it's way...

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MorallySound, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I warned you not to go out tonight... Because if you do, you'll end up getting remade!

Bah! My all-time favorite slasher film is getting the remake treatment. Bill Lustig announced the news himself at the NYC Horror Film Fest while he received his Lifetime Achievement Award. "We already made a deal for the remake of 'Maniac' - there is a remake of 'Maniac' that's on its way, believe it or not. That deal is already closed." "Actually, on the remake of 'Maniac', it's gonna say produced by William Lustig, but I'm going to have the least amount of involvement as a producer on the movie."

Not looking forward to this at all.

And "Maniac Cop", as well, looks like it's also headed for remake territory. From Bill's same speech: "Now, Larry [Clark] and I are in discussions for the remake of 'Maniac Cop'. We're not gonna be involved, but we'll collect a check."

Source: http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_17025.html

2. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Unoriginal bastards. You know one main reason that movie was so great? The grittyness of the late 70's/early 80's NYC. It just doesn't have the same effect now as it did then. A remake will just be awful. Then again, try and find a remake I enjoy. Good luck with that.

3. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

NO MORE REMAKES. I have both Maniac and Maniac Cop on DVD, and this positively sucks.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I agree, Maniac is a great film and would not have a fraction of the impact if remade. The sleazy NYC vibe was a big part of the charm, as it was for New York Ripper by Fulci.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

From the way those quotes were worded, it seems that part of the blame for this even occurring should be placed on Lustig himself. Then again, I'm not going to rip on a guy for collecting a check just for slapping his name on something.

6. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

What the fuck? Remakes are so lame. :p

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

At this point I just think it is gonna get some people's bills paid so they can do some other things then just let them do it. I don't have to watch it, and probably won't (but plenty of others probably will). The worst has already happened in remake town, so at this point I am just numb to it.

8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side, at least the original Maniac is gettin a 30th AE DVD and Blu-Ray treatment from Blue Underground in 2010. And with the remake of Maniac Cop, that could mean better editions of Maniac Cop 2 and 3.

9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

This is the first I have heard about a 30th Anniversary Edition of Maniac. I will double dip on this, since I have the Limited Edition tin, and I would like to have the other 2 Maniac Cop movies.

10. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

11. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

It was about time Lustig getting some more recognition and/or money. I'm all against remakes, but when the underdogs gets it, I'm fine with it. Weird Maniac is getting remade though , because for two decades nobody involved in it besides Lustig and some of the cast wanted to do anything with it and it probably was one of the most looked down on movie ever.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've stopped being shocked at what was being remade these days. No film is exempt these days.

13. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

wow....

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

No shit. :eek2:

It's no use being pissed anymore, it's going to happen. Maybe it'll be like the remake of SISTERS (did the SUSPIRIA remake ever happen..?) or APRIL FOOL'S DAY and just kind of go DTV and be overlooked.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Suspiria remake is happening. David Gordon Green is attached to write and direct .

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I used to agree with this.

Then I saw NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION and tore my eyeballs out.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

I never thought something as morose and grimy could ever be remade, but someone has big nuts for even thinking about it. Is New York even dirty enough these days to pull such a thing off?

I've stopped being surprised by remake announcements, but this was is definitely out there. What next...the Guinea Pig series?

18. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

My bet's on STAR WARS. :eek:

19. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Nope, Rudy Giuliani changed all that when he was in office. You want grimey? Re-elect Mayor Dinkins, haha. There was something so awesome to me about those gritty NY movies of the 80's like Tenement and Death Wish 3. Then again, I grew up in NJ and went to NY often in the 80's and saw it first hand during the "crack epidemic".

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Maniac

I'm a fan of Manaic. I had to sneak in to see it in the theaters since I wasn't old enough to see an unrated film. Personally I don't mind remakes. Most people think that remakes suck and it's generally because films don't get remade unless the original was good. Anyway I base films on whether I enjoy them and not how they stand up to the original.

Attached Files: