Maniac

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This is a very gritty and disturbing film. It is one of my favorites. The infamous head explosion scene is amazing. All the gore is great and Frank comes across as a truly sick individual. This is definitely one of William Lustig's best films. I plan on getting the upcoming Anchor Bay rerelease. What do you all think of this film?

2. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

I agree. Maniac is a great film. Tom Savini's FX work in the film is truly outstanding. I am also looking forward to the Anchor Bay re-release myself.

3. Is the Anchor Bay release going to feature all the stuff from the Elite special edition? 'Cause the audio commentary and "sequel footage" were almost more essential than the actual film.

4. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I love Maniac! (Spinell's superb performance, Savini's excellent effects, the set design of Frank's apartment, Chattaway's memorable score, etc.)
    This film stays with you for a long time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2001
  5. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Going underground....

The scene in the train station is genuinely frightening....the suspense is painful. This is a well crafted movie and not "just another gore flick." Highly recommended - I own the Elite LD but will be purchasing AB's limited edition as soon as it hits the shelves.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've seen this movie on shelves forever, but I haven't seen it yet. It looks like a film right up my alley, but I am going to wait for the DVD, as I am sure that beat up VHS at my local video store would be hardly watchable.

What kind of extras do they have planned for the SE DVD?

7. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

According to the folks at DVD Maniacs, AB's Maniac will have Elite's commentary, trailers, TV spots, production notes, a new one hour documentary on Spinell, and poster & stills gallery.
    They didn't know if AB would include the deleted date scene or the Maniac 2 promo. (Here's hoping!)

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sounds awesome, can't wait!

9. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Love the Maniac 2 promo.

Maniac is an excellent film. Lustig made a gem here. I like the Elite dvd, but will definitely pick up any disc AB puts out of it.

10. MacReady

MacReady Guest

I haven't seen this one in about ten years, but I do remember it being quite gory and rather disturbing.

Of course I eagerly anticipate seeing it again on DVD!

11. Spectre

Spectre Guest

MANIAC is great--extremely misogynistic, but great. It's hard to believe Savini ever got down on one knee at a Fango convention and apologized for having worked on the film.

12. MacReady

MacReady Guest

Is that true? Can you let me know where you read that? I'm not doubting you, but that's something I'd definitely like to read about!

13. Spectre

Spectre Guest

It's been so long that I don't remember where I read it. I just remember when it happened. It was at a Fango con, I believe. He didn't disown it exactly, but he did get down on one knee and apologize for working on it. You can probably find articles on it on the 'Net.

14. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Change of heart?

Yeah, I remember reading about that in the UK magazine Starburst in the '80s. Savini practically disowned the movie and wanted his name removing from the credits. I was gobsmacked that he actually changed his view of the film and recorded the audio commentary for the LD, etc.

The film features some of his best work and, IMHO, is nothing to be ashamed of. An underrated film and a slasher classic.

15. mgfred

mgfred Guest

Pre-order if you really want the LE

According to the Anchor Bay web site the Limited Edition is only 5,000 copies. This looks to have everything the Elite dvd/ld had plus more. Mine's already pre-ordered

16. Fredson

Fredson Guest

Maybe you guys all know that already, but I'm bored and I wanted to share my knowledge of two languages with you ;-) :
    William Lustig's last name means "funny". I think that's pretty funny when you watch MANIAC and the director's name is "funny".
    Maybe it's also just stupid of me! I was bored, sorry!

Fredson

17. Trout

Trout Guest

Anyone own the CD soundtrack? It was a multimedia deal, and when you played it on the computer you could watch the trailers, the date scene, and other bits of the movie. It was a very cool presentation.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well I couldn't hold out for the DVD, so I finally rented it, and I agree it is a very well crafted, intruiging and disturbing film. Spinell blew me away (har har) with his hauntingly tormented character. I love how the film focuses on the killer and his insanity, rather than his victims, very original. A perfect character study, it is a shame that Spinell passed before Maniac 2 could be finished. Now I really can't wait for the DVD!

19. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

20. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

And justice is served. For you lazy types, the thread had a troll going on and on about why Maniac sucks. For each and every post, he had a reply, and never said anything much beyond that Maniac was a bad movie. He has officially now been spanked by the mods. I think we should organize a Horrordvds.com jackboot posse, to meat out punishment to posters on other boards who do not treat our beloved genre with respect. Did I just say that?

Controversial, no? LOL

(Yeah, I'm losin' it.)