Maniac

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Jun 21, 2001.

1. mgfred

mgfred Guest

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Haha....organize....HorrorDVDs......haha. Good one Hyde :D.

3. mgfred

mgfred Guest

For those that may have missed my post at dvd talk

Reading other threads bashing this great movie, I'd just like to get me two cents in and inform people of some VERY little known behind the scenes information that will help them piece together why Maniac is in my opinion the Citizen Kane of horror movies.

Why is the script so mesmerising? A silent rumor that has long floated through the inner circles of Hollywood is that Steven King actually wrote the screenplay of Maniac. This may shock many of his fans, but the record is he has NEVER denied this fact.

Maniac's productions values are extraordinary, could a first time producers like Joe Spinell actually create such a masterpiece? The answer is no, Joe actually had his close personal friend (and one of his biggest fans) Steven Spielburg produce Maniac. This may shock many of his fans, but the record is he has NEVER denied this fact either.

Maniac was the first film directed by William Lustig, is this just a accident that Lustig created a masterpiece on his first attempt? Clearly Mr. Lustig had assistance. It is a thinly veiled secret in the incestous place we call Hollywood, but William Friedkin is Bill Lustig's uncle by marriage. Throughout Lustig's life his Uncle Will has been his hero. William Friedkin was at Bill Lustig's side for advise and consent during the entire filming of Maniac. When confronted with this information Mr. Friedkin just winked and smiled.

Special Effects in Maniac were at the time some of the finest to ever grace the screen. Tom Savini had already established a reputation from Dawn of the Dead, but was he solely responsible for Maniac? No, working for Tom as a apprentice was a man who would later carve his own niche as a special effects wizard Stan Winston. Privately Stan calls the exploding head shot in Maniac as the turning point in his career and inspired him to carry on and later receive fame in "The Terminator". However in order to not steal the thunder from his mentor Savini, Winston does not iclude Maniac in his credits.

There have been many stories concerning the low budget Maniac was filmed for, some as low as $40,000 but even the IMDB lists the budget as $350,000. Actually the budget was closer to 25 million dollars, still a bargain when you look at the near hundred million this fim did domestically and internationally. The cost of mannequins alone was close to $40,000. Magnum Motion Pictures was Spielburg's first production company and would later become Dreamworks.

Joe Spinell's performance was capivating in Maniac, but was he the first choice for the role. It was confessed by a former girlfriend that Robert De Niro initally auditioned for the role, and for a while thought the part was his. The production team was so impressed in a pre-film reading where Spinell covered for a flu ridden De Niro that Spinell was given the role and De Niro sent packing. This same ex-girlfriend also confided that Robert had not been this disappointed since Spinell beat him out for the part in the first Godfather movie.

I hope this clears up many misconceptions about Maniac, it was not a low budget movie, the production values were done by some of the finest talent in Hollywood. Oscar recognition would have followed except for the fact that the participants did not want the entire truth about the filming to be exposed and possibly short circuit the blossoming careers of Lustig and Savini.

Maniac is a film that Directors such as Wells, Hitchcock or Bergman would have been proud of. Many of the facts I have listed are not local information except to the priveledged few. But more telling is that NONE have ever been publically denied.

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I'm with Fredo on this! :D

5. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Upon seeing Maniac for the first time with the recent DVD, I was, as I have mentioned, remarkably surprised by the quality.

So I'm willing to go along with the conspiracy theory on this one, too.

:p

6. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

I've regarded Maniac as one of the best American slashers of the seventies since the first time I saw it and never understood why some people who are horror fans are so repulsed by it. Hell, I just got my copy of Chas. Balun's 2001 New Gore Score and was stunned that his review called Maniac
    I love Balun's reviews and essays and respect the shit out of his opinion, but he was way off on this one, uncharacteristically so.

7. curry eater

curry eater Guest

"Anyone own the CD soundtrack? It was a multimedia deal, and when you played it on the computer you could watch the trailers, the date scene, and other bits of the movie. It was a very cool presentation."
    If anyone can get hold of this then do it..the tech info is that it was relesaed by SouthEast Records SER289B05 which i believe is a company in Holland.
    It contains the full soundtrack inc loads of samples and has an extensive cd rom supplement-hundreds of stills,trailers,weblinks,quick time movies and more .. the icing on the cake is that it is presented in a fold out(gatefold type)cd case with some fantastic pics on!!!..SUPERB!!

8. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I fuckin love this movie. Nothing beats Tom Savini's head exploding. And the fact that he filled it with shrimp (among other things)...pure genius.

9. ctyankee

ctyankee Guest

Maniac. Yep, when they talk about Cult movies - Maniac should be on that sweet list by golly.

Note to mgfred: please continue to post ... boy I don't remember the last post I read that was so much fun ... great stuff .. super.

If I may build on mgfred's great work, this is something that is only known among a specific inner circle but Stephen King (as a child) was there the night that Robert Kennedy was shot. I have it as a fact that a waiter witnessed King trying to trip Rosie Greer as he went to tackle Sirhan Sirhan. Unfortunately, this troubled fact does not end there. In King's latest book, the man that protects the future (without giving more away) is Sire Hangreer Rosi which is what you get when you combine the letters "Sirhan" with "Rosie Greer." It doesn't end there - King's book title is "Black House" with clear reference to the White House.

So where is the proof? I swear this is true, to this day, Stephen King has never denied tripping Rosie Greer or having done it on purpose.

Thanks for reading,

Rich

(with tongue firmly against cheek)

10. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Absolutely. Ten minutes after reading your post, I'm still grinning, mgfred!:D :D :D