maniac

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by wizzer, Oct 11, 2003.

1. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

ok, i started this thread because i was so happy about maniac. now besides the fact that the transfre isn't good, and the 7 channel DTS track is useless the movie is obviously full of people wanting to get killed.

just a few things that bother me now. when he is choking the prostitute, it flashes back and fourth from the real chick and some sort of double and it's real annoying.
    is that chick that tom savini trying to bang a ding dong or what? "this is a nice place" hell ya baby, right off the side of the freeway! and tom asks her if she want's to meet him right now. "where?" in the back seat of course. HAHA that was actually the best part.
    then when he finally comes to the door of the photographers house he tells her hey i'm the guy in the park you took a picture of- can i talk to you? she says oh yes, i was just looking at your picture- wait a minute- didn't she see what he was doing in the picture? holding a small child captive on a bicycle? anyway, come on in maniac and be my jealous boyfriend tonight at dinner. :rolleyes:

i just wasn't in the mood i guess. i put it in because i wanted DTS action and not because i wanted good slasher gore.

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Wizzer dissed Maniac :cry:
    Come on man I thought you were a happy member of the elite tin club ;)

3. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Yeah Wizzer, I agree. The plot was not the best and some things just didnt add up....but you gotta love it cause it's harecore and stuff. :p

Really, the main reason I love Maniac so much is because of Spinell's performance. You really believe this dude is crazy in the head...he just has that look in his eyes like he is not acting. It's kinda freaky really.

4. wizzer

i am a member......TWICE!!

5. I like it 'cause it made me feel dirty after watching it...

and number 3721/5000

6. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Hey Wizz, I'm pretty sure in that scene the girl is flashing between the real girl and his mother. Kind of showing some rage towards his mom?

I'm said it a million times, I love this movie. The music and gore are both great, the lovely Caroline Munroe looks absolutly stunning and Joe Spinell does a great job. This is definitally one of my favorite horror films of all time.

7. wizzer

that's good thinking. i hadn't thought of that. makes sense i guess. i meant to pop in the commentary or whatever there is to see what they say about that.

8. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

You're absolutely right. I can see where Lustig was going with that scene, but they should have cut out the inserts of his mother because it didn't work. It does look like just some double or something.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

You made a good point... you know an actor has done a good job when it looks like he's not acting.

I love Maniac but sadly I traded my tin for a couple DVDs I'd been wanting for a while. I plan on getting the single release sometime.

Oh and as for The Last Horror Film (which is on DVD from Troma as Fanatic), that is great as well... I recommend that any fans of Maniac seek it out. I like the cameo by Spinell's mother. :D

10. abattoir17

abattoir17 Guest

This is my favorite slasher of all time. Spinell's creepy performance (and the fantastic gore) are what elevate it above the rest of the crop.

Tin #593 of 5000.

11. One of my favorite slashers of all time , Joe Spinell is very good as the maniac and Caroline Munro is superb and very sexy . It is kind of strange how a beautiful photographer falls for someone like Frank Zito , i believe this film has some of the best gore effects by Tom Savini .

12. geeare

geeare Guest

Years ago, this movie changed my life (literally) and my parents lives.

I saw this movie with my cousin when it first came out on VHS and it scared me do badly that I made my parents stay up with the lights on until I was asleep for about 2 years. I shit you not, I'll give you my folks number and you can call em up and ask about it. I'm 35 now and it still sends a bit of a chill down my spine everytime I watch it. I love it for that cause there ain't many movies out there that will do that to me anymore. It's definitely a KlassicK!!!!

13. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

14. geeare

geeare Guest

robert and doreen...902-555-NOWAY

sorry man, i really don't think my folks would be happy, lol.

that's the right area code tho, you can start there.

15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I just want your mom's number :D

16. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I have the tin, also. I also have the Director's Cut of Maniac, which is out of print, so I have 2 different dvd's of the movie, but I think the regular DVD has some features that are not of the LE Tin, and vice versa.

17. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

# 1401 out of 5000

18. HorrorMaster

HorrorMaster Guest

May Joe Spinell rest in peace. This film was him at his best.

~THE MASTER~

19. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

I have a question about the DVD (the regular Anchorbay one) I just received from the DDD sale:

Around the 49 minute mark (when Zito first visits Anna at her apartment) the video seems to freeze for a split second or two about twice. The audio isn't affected but I'm still a bit miffed. The layer change FYI is at around 1:15 or so at the graveyard.

Anyone?

20. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

That's normal. There are a couple of jump cuts in that scene that Lustig even mentions on the commentary (which by the way, kicks ass! :))