Marebito- pretty good!

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by kyouki, Aug 23, 2006.

1. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I would put this in the review forum, but it's not going to be detailed enough to be considered a review. :)

I watched Marebito the other night, and I have to say I enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of Asian (particularly Japanese) horror. I don't find ghosts scary or interesting in the least, so that knocks out 99% of all well-known Japanese horror movies for me.

Marebito stands proudly with the other popular Japanese horror movies without ghost girls- Audition, Evil Dead Trap, Hiruko the Goblin, Tetsuo, Pinnochio, Rubber's Lover, and Uzumaki.

It reminded me more of Uzumaki than the others, and like Uzumaki it definitely seemed to have some Lovecraft aspects to it. Also like Uzumaki the gore was kept to a minimum, though I would say that Uzumaki has more of the red stuff.

Anyway I've only seen it once so I don't have a whole lot to say about it. What did you guys think?

2. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Definitely a good film. Moody and unpredictable. Some scenes were downright creepy. A good example of what a skilled filmmaker and lead actor can accomplish on a low budget in a very short time.

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It can stand up next to these movies only if it wants to get its ass smacked off the stage and good.

I thought it was ok, 3/5. It had some good aspects, but it wasn't anything special. I was a dummy and purchased it blind too. Oh well. That's what ebay is for.

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Nah, it's miles better than Hiruko the Goblin (I love Tsukamoto though) and Evil Dead Trap, and is pretty much equal to the rest except for Audition.

The film is easily Shimizu's masterpiece, and it proves that if he breaks out of the confines of the Ju-On prison he's made for himself, he can make some truly remarkable films. I hope his next Ju-On films make nice money so he can afford to make more experimental films like this, because I'd be very excited to see some more.

I'd also like to see more of Chiaki Konaka's work adapted for live action, as the guy has written some of the best anime series ever for my money (Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, and RahXephon), and his stuff clearly translates well into live action if this is any indication.

And of course, Tsukamoto owns as usual.

I highly recommend this one to pretty much any viewer of the adventurous, or anyone that thinks all J-horror has to offer is ghosts. You'll be well rewarded :)

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

:lol: :lol:

I think that fans of the genre are just really getting desperate these days.

6. KamuiX

No, I just know a good film when I see one...films don't have to be linear or completely coherent for me to like them. I like abstract and artistic films, sometimes more than any other types of films, and most of my like-minded friends agree this is a great film. And Hiruko the Goblin and Evil Dead Trap are better than this?? They're both pretty much both low-budget gore crap...hell, even Tsukamoto realized Hiruko was a failure and hasn't tried to make a mainstream film since...

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

This movie was pretty straightforward. Who wouldn't be able to figure that out? I certainly was never lost, just bored and not really giving a good god damn after awhile. The movie was short but still wore out its welcome at my place. The direction was tight, but the story was too simple for 80 minutes.

I'm not going to argue taste with you and your abstract friends though. You can like whatever you want. I just think putting this movie up against other more established movies in the genre is a laugh riot. If people go in expecting a slightly better than average Asian horror movie, maybe they will be pleasantly surprised. If they go in expecting Audition, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  8. KamuiX

I know, I'm rolling on the floor over here about how it's better than 75% of J-horror's last 4-5 years worth of recycled, tired filmmaking ;)

9. logboy

logboy Guest

...until 'nightmare detective', which looks to be very mainstream though not as obviously so as 'hiruko' - see the trailer at www.akumu-tantei.com/ ... still, tsukamoto or whomever we could be talking about, each film on an individual basis or the arguments fall into simplistic.

10. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I saw Hiruko more of a wacky Goonies like movie (with more violence) than a low budget gore movie. It was just silly and childlike, but in a good way.

Evil Dead Trap is unquestionably a low budget gore flick, but some of the cinematography is great, and the directing is nicely paced. I enjoy that one.

11. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I didn't like this at all, i tried to watch it several times, but just kept turning it off. Hiroko was a good made for TV, not sure if it was, type of film.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just saw this for the first time and really dug it (disclaimer: I was also pretty drunk at the time thank you very much Stone Brewing Co). Like others here have said, it's a departure from the typical Asian "scary girl" movie, although I still like those a lot too.

The movie wanders all over the place, both figuratively and literally, and it's never boring. Still, I'll give it another viewing sober sometime, and see if I still feel the same way.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I must admit I've tried to watch this twice now. Not been able to make it through to the end either time. The "shot of video" vibe isn't helping it, but that's not the main reason I'm having issues with it. I think the narrative comes across as pretty fragmented.

The female creature is excellent though - when he finds her it's an astonishing scene. I can't tell you how it ends - but the low budget feel is a bit of a hindrance.