Mario Bava Movies to check out?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Erg0n, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    I'm not a Bava fanatic, and would like to know what are some of his greatest works on film. please be specific, and don't say "every one is great" or some thing of that manner.

thanks

2. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

black sabbath, black sunday, shock, and blood and black lace are a good start

3. crank

crank Guest

Get Black Sabbath first, it's probably both his best film, and the best representation of his overall style. Black Sunday and Blood and Black Lace are also excellent films. I wouldn't recomend Shock to a Bava novice though. While Shock is a good movie, it lacks most of the style and atmosphere of Bava's greater works, and it drags pretty bad. Oh yea, and that fucking kid is the MOST annoying Eurohorrorbrat I've ever crossed.

crank

4. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

if you got a fat wallet check out rabid dogs

5. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

thanks for the suggestions guys
    unfortunatley, i heard black sabbath is OOP or something like that, I've seen it in theatres though, excellent film. the colors used are really nice.

6. suspiria

suspiria Guest

I've got the Mario Bava Collection DVD pack and a few more of his films on DVD... I would have to say that I like "Kill Baby, Kill..." the most.. great atmosphere and style...

7. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Well tomorrow

is the big day, Mr Postman should be handing over BLACK SUNDAY and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES. After watching LISA AND THE DEVIL over and over again, I am ready for new Bava!!!!!! Postie should also be delivering VON RYAN'S EXPRESS (I know it isn't horror but it was filmed partly in Italy, so what the hell).

8. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

black sabbath is still in print it just has a better case no more snap case

9. Lisa & The Devil / House Of Exorcism double is a must-have.
    Some of my favorite Bava is Black Sunday, Baron Blood is Bava having fun - & so quite cool. Blood & Black Lace, Planet Of The Vampires is good because you can see just how much influence it has over Alien, Bay Of Blood is awesome, The Whip & The Body is a beautiful movie & some of the choicest Bava around on DVD. I picked up a disc of Kill Baby Kill looks that like it's been transfered from VHS - but it's still a good 'un, Shock you'll know, Rabid Dogs is a cracker - especially for George Eastman/Montifore doing his bit for Italian cinema - but as SkinnyPuppy says - it'll cost you, Danger Diabolik & Dr Goldfoot - buy it all because it's all class.

Check out Macabre too - Lamberto's only really good movie.

10. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Twitch of the Death Nerve is a good flick, but I'm staying away from the DVD based on the problems that people are complaining about it. Shock is a very good film, with the exception of the annoying little brat it is very good (and I'm pissed seing this movie now going for $2.99 at Suncoast, I paid full price for the mofo last year) but my favorite has to be Hatchet for the Honeymoon.

11. I forgot about that little gem.

12. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Well I watched

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES today, what an impressive little flick. Granted it was very slow but I really enjoyed it, loved that ending. Still waiting for BLACK SUNDAY but I think it will be with me tomorrow, PLEASE!!!!! Just ordered BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, look forward to that arriving next week. Has anyone seen KNIVES OF THE AVENGER, any good? Even if it is not popular here I will still buy it, I want all the Bava movies and I want them now!

13. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

planet of the vampires rocks! knifes is good to but i havnt seen the image dvd im sure the image will be alot better than the old dup i saw

14. suspiria

suspiria Guest

I dont understand why you guys dont rate "Kill Baby, Kill..." too highly... Sure, the VCI DVD is pretty crap in quality but I'm discussing the film here not the DVD's quality.

I felt that this film is Bava's best when it comes to atmosphere and general creepiness. I liked the story too (very Argento-like in areas) and the colours/lighting used in the last 30 or so minutes rival Suspiria.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2001
  15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Lisa and the Devil is Bava's BEST film in my opinion, so definitely check it out. Whip and the Body is another great one.

16. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

Kill Baby Kill is a good film VCI's transfer is not all that but ok the BavaBox(VCI the whip and the body, blood and black lace and kill baby kill) should be something any one new to Bava should pick up

17. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

I saw Kill Baby, Kill based on the recommendations of this thread and I must say that it's an awsome film

18. piggwinn

piggwinn Guest

I'm quite fond of the little mentioned "Baron Blood", which plays a little like Bava doing Hammer.

19. Kill Baby Kill is cool! - Maybe not his best, supercool in fact - but then again, - if you haven't seen all Bava's movies - you can't really say what's better than what.
    I think Bava was a modern master, but unfortunately, like so many others - he'll never be recognized by very many people.
    Probably more influential than any other Italian director over their prolific industry, - Bava's Mask Of Satan/Black Sunday was released 1 year before Bloodfeast - even though Herschell gets all the glory for making the first 'gory' movie, Mario did it with class and elegance. Oh, and by the way, the Mexicans & the Spanish were doing 'splatter' way before Lewis was even considering making nudist flicks.

20. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Happy Days

are here, Mr Postman delivered BLOOD AND BLACE LACE and BARON BLOOD this morning, so looking forward to sit down with these little babies. Still waiting for BLACK SUNDAY, supplier informs me they are waiting for new stock, should be with me on Friday, but I can wait now that I have these two.