Mario Bava Movies to check out?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Erg0n, Sep 21, 2001.

1. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

yeah i want the hardback too! $$$$$$$$

2. RJMacReady

RJMacReady Guest

Thanks guys.

I have been wanting to ask what Bava films to check out. I really want to see Shock (I Love Dario Nicolodi). That boxset does look good.

Whip and The Body & Blood and Black Lace sound awesome.

So many movies...so little money. :(

3. suspiria

suspiria Guest

"Kill, Baby.. Kill" is my favourite film from the boxset by a longshot. Very underrated film!

I strongly urge you to start with the boxset and move on to more Bava from there.

4. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

I VAMPIRI

Arrived on Saturday. Good film, gotta love that 2.35:1 picture. Didn't really play like a horror film, more a thriller, but I am not complaining Bava is Bava. Managed to order THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, look forward to that arriving soon. Still waiting for WHIP AND THE BODY and KNIVES OF THE AVENGER to arrive :( .

5. jae

jae Guest

Whip is one of his best and one of my favorites.. Have you checked out Planet of the Vampires yet? Very good use of color, and the MGM DVD can be found for around 10$. Good movie, good DVD.

Let us know how you like Knives of the Avenger.. Even though I'm a huge Bava fan I've been reluctant to buy this without seeing it first. Same goes for Five Dolls for an August Moon.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2001
  6. ian

ian Member

i just watched kill, baby, kill like 10 minutes ago, it was my first exposure to bava. pretty whacked out little film, i loved the overabundance of color throughout and the strong gothic imagery. pretty wild stuff.

i managed to pick up shock at the suncoast 2.99 sale but haven't gotten around to watching it yet, probably later today (what's an unemployed guy to do on the west coast during rainy season except watch movies?)

ian

7. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

......If you like Bava's use of colors check out Planet Of The Vampires

8. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Reluctant Bava Fan!

Jae in his own words...
    :eek:

I will be sure to let you know what I think of KNIVES OF THE AVENGER and 5 DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON - when I get around to ordering that one that is.

I hadn't seen any Mario Bava and purchased all the titles unseen, and I haven't been let down yet.

IN MY COLLECTION
    I VAMPIRI - BLACK SUNDAY - BLACK SABBATH - BLOOD AND BLACK LACE - PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES - BARON BLOOD and LISA AND THE DEVIL / HOUSE OF EXORCISM

ON ORDER
    THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH - WHIP AND THE BODY - KNIVES OF THE AVENGER and HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON

On a side note I E-mailed Tim Lucas just to say thank you for all his work on the Image and VCI discs, and he informed me that Image are nearly at an end with the Mario Bava Collection, they have also declined to release one of his westerns (saying it wouldn't sell very well). So I will say it now, IMAGE YOU DROPPED THE BALL!

9. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

KNIVES OF THE AVENGER

Well kiddies just got done watching KNIVES OF THE AVENGER. A treat from start to finish, nothing to amazing but very enjoyable and the picture quality was stunning, also nice to see another Bava film with a 2.35:1 ratio. Cameron Mitchell was very good in the lead, and it was nice to see Giacomo Rossi Stuart in a good supporting role. So in all the excitement I quickly ordered TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE and 5 DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON. That leaves me only KILL BABY KILL, FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT and SHOCK to get on DVD, and of course any new releases from Image, hopefully they are going to re-release KILL BABY KILL.

10. suspiria

suspiria Guest

According to numerous sources, "Kill, Baby... Kill" is being released by Image next year. I own the VCI DVD and while its the best the film has ever looked its still quite unacceptable from a DVD point of view with no extras to boot. As this is my favourite Bava film I am eagerly awaiting Image's treatment (if it ever surfaces).

11. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Oops!

Forgot to say that THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH and WHIP AND THE BODY arrived last week. While I really enjoyed them both, THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH was the better of the two IMHO.