Martin

Discussion in 'General' started by SilentScreams, Mar 26, 2004.

1. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I just picked up the OOP DVD on Ebay for $6.99. I have never seen the film but have heard a few decent reviews. So did I make the right decision on picking this one up? What are your opinions on this George Romero film?

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This film is definitely Romero's best, so you certainly made the right choice. A truly brilliant horror gem, and the commentary on the disc is wonderful.

3. I feel like the other Romero films post-night and pre-dawn it'a really strange....structure and plot and story individually are weak but they work as a balance....

I felt the same way viewing the Crazies and Season of the Witch as well

4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

A fantastic film, one of Romero's best.

5. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

any film showcasing makeup effects by tom savini is definetly worth it

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Not one - it IS Romero's best, at least in my book. Haunting, with a unique sense of tragedy (in the ancient-greek sense of the term), Martin is a great coming-of-age tale, painted with the grimest colours. Depressing as hell too. :evil:

7. tyuun

tyuun New Member

Definitly my Fav Romero film followed by Dawn at a very very close 2nd

8. KingJeff

KingJeff Guest

Maybe I should rewatch it...
    I saw it about 10 years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed.

9. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I have to agree with it being Romero's best. Well worth rewatching.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I first watched this movie with a group of friends, and I really did not like it. But when I watched it again by myself last year, I realized what a truly great film MARTIN really is. It is not the kind of movie that lends well to an audience...it is a slow-moving portrait of an outsider, it is a movie that plays to individuals. Romero did a great thing by taking the Dracula story and placing it within a contemporary 70s setting. Dracula is an allegory to the loneliness that many of the disillusioned youth of the 70s were feeling, and his film is ripe with several jabs at American institutions. There is a scene where Tom Savini himself talks about the lack of decent jobs in America, and it is one of the most biting (excuse the pun) scenes in the whole film. It really is fascinating, but a movie that really depends on your state of mind at the time you watch it. Aside from maybe one of the DEAD films (I can never decide), this is Romero's greatest work. Definitely worth seeing.

11. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm looking forward to seeing this when my DVD arrives.

12. This is one of those films I'd heard about a lot and filed away in the mental encycolpedia as influential, but had never actually seen. With all this positive feedback (that and a second job providing plenty of disposable income), I'm thinking I should change that straight away. Any word on a re-release? If not, how is the technical info (transfer, extras, etc.) on the OOP disc? I wouldn't mind tracking down the old disc, but I'm one of those guys that is driven absolutely crazy by picking up a movie only to see a new release shortly down the road.

13. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I got Martin in the mail yesterday and watched it last night. I thought it was a really good flick and worth the money I spent. The commentary sounds interesting so I will have to check that out later. This was a nice blind buy. I am a little mad though because I bought this on Ebay and it was listed as New and Sealed when it was actually Used and Resealed and missing the insert. I'm glad I own it but I was expecting it to be NEW. :fuck:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've ordered the same disc, and got the same thing: resealed w/ no insert.

It appears to be the real deal though, the inner ring of the DVD itself is incoded with the correct manufacture's number, so I'm not quite sure where it came from.

15. tyuun

tyuun New Member

The same thing happened to me and I bought my DVD of Martin like 8 months ago. I didn't buy it on ebay though I bought it through Amazon but still had no insert. I love this movie I think it's great.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Is that the inner ring on the playing side?
    The artwork side has no border on the inner ring of the positively legit copy I have, and it should have a 4 page insert. Mine also had a merchendise insert like some of the old AB dvds did, selling Halloween and Evil Dead T-shirts and shit.

17. Anybody got a legit version they would be interested in selling? My dvd-r aint cutting it these days.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Let me listen to the comm. and I might sell you mine.
    I'll let ya know in a day or 2.