Martyrs

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by cjg, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cjg

cjg Active Member

does any know if this movie will be released on dvd in the near future Amazon has cancelled it ?

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

dimension extreme is supposed to release this on dvd march24th 2009 it was supposed to come out a month earlier but got pushed back til march hopefully it didn't get shelved?

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

According to DVD Aficionado it's delayed.New release date is April 28.The French R2 release scheduled for March:

4. cjg

cjg Active Member

thanks for the info

5. Crystal Plumage

You're welcome.

6. fceurich39

7. Crystal Plumage

As posted there:

I know nothing about this movie. Is it good? What's it about?
    Will the US disc be in its original (= French) language?

8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Its supposed to be insanely sick and graphic. Caused quite a stir when screened in Toronto. Either you love it or hate it.

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I missed this one at Screamfest last year, so it's a must-buy for me. I hope a BD comes to the US as well, otherwise I'll have to hope there's a region-free import to grab.

10. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Oddly enough, it appears that this is being released under the regular Weinstein Co. banner, rather than Dimension or Dimension Extreme. The brothers must have A LOT of faith in this product not to dump it on their genre label.

On a related, but separate note, is anyone else on here as impressed with these guys post-Disney as I am? Back in the day, Dimension was synonymous for watered-down, edited horror-lite movies. Since leaving Disney and forming the Weinstein Co., these guys have been doing really solid genre work. Their Dimension Extreme line is amazing (even if a good majority of the films are crap) and I'm really pleased with Dragon Dynasty (even though the recently re-issued Supercop is still the edited US version). Whether it be having the balls to release Inside (and uncut, no less), Mother of Tears (whether you like it or not) and, now, Martyrs or allowing Frank Darabont to make the version of The Mist that he wanted to make (and putting the B&W version on the DVD / Blu-ray), these guys are now going the extra mile to make sure these films are presented the way they should be.

11. fceurich39

updated cover art link
    still no word on what the special features will be and if it will have the original french language audio and if there will be a english dubbed audio?

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15116

12. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It's on the cover of next month's Fangoria. Looks cool!!

13. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I really dig the cover. Its miles better than the rubbish INSIDE cover.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I like it too. They should of used the poster cover for Inside instead of trying to market it as another Hostel.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Great film!!

16. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Just watched it, and definitely "enjoyed" it, if that's the right word. I didn't really get completely sucked in until around the 40 minute mark when things started to fall into place, but I was hooked by then. On a re-watch, knowing where things are going, I think I'll appreciate the opening third of the film a lot more.

My main gripe is that the torture at the end goes on for FAR too long. It's nearly 10 minutes (maybe more) of seeing the same thing over and over again, which dare I say, could have been done more effectively with a montage, something I generally hate. Up to that point, I thought the film did a good job of using both brutal violence as well as mystery and uncertainty to create a great atmosphere, but that portion of the film just beat you over the head with nastiness. I also thought a bit of the soundtrack, like what is played for Lucie's "demon", didn't really fit with the mood.

Overall, a solid 4/5, and it features a lot more psychological torment than I had originally expected (I thought it would rely more heavily on the visceral stuff).

17. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

18. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Oy ... another day, another disappointing movie. First Laid to Rest and now Martyrs, I feel myself becoming more cynical with each new highly praised film that I check out. I'm a pretty big fan of the recent wave of French horror films, like Haute Tension, Inside and Them. I also really liked Frontiere(s), which a lot of people hated. I just couldn't get into Martyrs though, and I really feel that this film is severely overhyped. The first half hour is pretty strong and I was definitely along for the ride. The next half hour isn't bad but I went from really liking to just liking it. Then, the infamous 1 hour mark happens and the film completely lost me. I think in order to love this film, you have to grip onto the somewhat existential themes the film goes into at this point and I just didn't care. I've heard this film compared to Hostel, which I don't really see, except on a very basic surface level, such as the torture aspects of the final act and the organization that plays a big part in that torture.

However, what makes Hostel work so well, for me, is the cathartic final act of the film. I don't love Hostel for the scenes of torture. Those scenes just very effectively set up Paxton's journey. We sit through those scenes to be rewarded by watching Paxton take his revenge on the man who is torturing him, the man who's torturing his friend, the people who set him up and, finally, the man who tortured and killed his best friend. It's this fantastic pay-off that makes the rest of the movie work so well. Martyrs fails to deliver this pay-off. We're asked to endure a rather boring 30 to 40 minutes of this young woman being slowly broken down and then we're not rewarded for it at all. The motivations behind the organization are ridiculously stupid and I couldn't have cared less by the time the movie was over. The momentum built during the first act is completely forgotten and wasted by the time the credits roll. Another film that failed to reward the audience but was infinitely more effective is Eden Lake. I really wanted to see those little fuckers pay but the film still works because the rest of the movie is nerve-rackingly tense. Martyrs is just kind of boring for the majority of its running time.

At the end of the day, I can only say that I liked a movie if I'd be willing to watch it again. I may never watch it again but if the opportunity arose, I wouldn't say "no." I can firmly say that I would say "no" to Martyrs.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with Kolpitz. I've loved all the recent French Horror flicks as well as Eden Lake, but this one didn't do it for me. The story was all over the place and never fully came together in my eyes.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Thought it was nothing special and won't watch it again.