Masters of Dipping

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jun 26, 2007.

?

A Masters of Horror box set comes out soon...

Poll closed Jul 26, 2007.
  1. I held off buying the single releases to buy this.

14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. I have some of the single releases and I'll upgrade.

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I have all the single releases and I'm still upgrading.

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. I have all the single releases so I won't be upgrading.

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. I have some of the single releases and that's enough.

28 vote(s)
    32.6%
  6. I like the show, but have no interest in owning episodes.

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. Don't care for the show, or the box set, at all.

15 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. philxus

philxus New Member

Who cares, most of the episodes sucks anyway!!!:sleepy: :evil:

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, I couldn't disagree more. I normally love Miike's stuff but absolutely HATED Imprint. I never bought into all the hype about it and saw it spoiler-free. It was beyond stupid and I never thought Billy Drago could ever be so whiny and annoying. A severe letdown.

I wouldn't consider buying any of these except for Jenifer, Pelts, The Screwfly Solution and maybe the two Stuart Gordons. The first two are most likely to wind up in my collection at some point. I expected The Washingtonians to be more serious in tone like the Bentley Little short story it was based on, but it was fun enough for a rental at least... if you like cheese. If you don't, stay far away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, my implication was more in the terms of, if you're a serious fan of those directors you'll want to see them regardless of how well-directed they are. Dario Argento could film a guy reading the phone book for 90 minutes and I'd still want to watch it once just to see if there's any of his trademark style.

And a fan of Argento and Miike (who do have their loyal followings) shouldn't pass up their entries solely based on word-of-mouth. Although I guess you can say that about any of the MoH directors really. If you're a big Lucky McKee fan, you'll see Sick Girl no matter how bad it is (and it's bad).

That said, I did enjoy Imprint, flaws and all. It got a little stupid at the end (did I say a LITTLE stupid?...make that a lot), but up until the last 15 minutes it was pretty nasty. Bad acting and all. Not the best work from Miike by a longshot, but if someone said he/she was a die-hard Miike fan but hadn't seen Imprint, I'd say they definitely should check it out for themselves. That was kinda my point.

4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Pick Me Up is awesome. Sorry to the haters (h8ers?) but Michael Moriarty in tha hizzzzousse.... Haaaaay.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I didn't like that one much the first go around, but the second time I was totally feeling it and just loved it. Michael Moriarty was so great in that one. He's all around a great actor period. I wish he got more roles like this one or The Stuff.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Pick Me Up is my favorite episode from the first season. Moriarty works great with Larry Cohen. In addition to The Stuff, he was also terrific in Q The Winged Serpent.

7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I actually liked that one. I don't think its anywhere on par with May or Roman, and it had its flaws, but I liked it. Impressed me more than Haeckels Tale, which I felt promised a lot but delivered only the predictable.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Sick Girl is amazing. Don't listen to anyone who says it's bad. They have no clue what they're talking about.

It's just not scary. The best friend character is a little annoying. But even he's not that bad. I think Sick Girl even surpasses Lucky McKee's May. Which wasn't scary either. Let's be honest.

I haven't seen Cigarette Burns or Imprint yet. And I unfortunately bought too many of the individual DVDs before this set. But I think eventually I'll get it. I have to admit the trailer for Imprint alone makes me HAVE to see it. It looks unbelievable!!!

9. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

I haven't seen any MoH. Are they worth blind-buying?

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'd be careful about that. Depends upon your personal tastes. I've been renting the episodes from Netflix first. Thus far I've seen only five (maybe six) that were worth buying from seasons one and two.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Even though I haven't seen Cigarette Burns I really think blind buying that is a sure thing safe bet. And Sick Girl is just amazing. And I haven't heard 1 single bad word yet about Fair Haired Child.

But if you're talking about the set yeah I would say be very careful. As for the individual releases everyone says this series is weak. And it is only weak compared to most of the directors' prior work. But as for the series compared to most of the crap coming out now it's not so bad. They certainly beat the living hell out of all the remakes.

12. Stige

Stige Active Member

have the region 2 box sets too bad that wasnt a choice

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Then I guess you haven't read any of my comments about it.

....I loved Sick Girl.

Anyway I can't afford the set. I have most of the season 1 Eps that I want but if I could find the set cheap somewhere I'd pick it up cause there's a couple I still really want and a few that I could probably watch again.

So in other words, it's not a huge priority for me, but if I'm ever un-broke and don't have anything more important to buy, I'd pick up the set.

14. gore

gore Guest

I held off to buy the set...I have showtime so I saw them...some of the episodes suck....some of my horror movies suck..I am buying the set. :)

15. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I haven't seen a single ep, but I just got the box set for my b-day. I've been curious about the show for a while, but I don't have whatever channel its on and never considered either blind-buying or renting individual hour-long eps a priority.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

That makes you about the 3rd person I've encountered so far. Since last month, I'd say. But I still think most people say that's a good episode. I ordered the boxset and it should be here either today or Monday, so I'll see for myself fairly soon.

Oh, there's no question that Sick Girl is outstanding. I feel like anyone who doesn't think so didn't watch it properly. It actually satisfied me more than anything Lucky McKee's directed yet.

I had to kill someone and steal their insurance money, but I finally got the set coming. There's just no way I could turn down that bonus disc. Especially since I think the Monstersandmoviecritics.com (some site with a name sounding just like that) said the new featurettes are over 100 minutes. One being 60-something minutes and the other being about 37 minutes. Plus, those 2 interviews with Spielberg and Boorman (am I wrong about them?) and another site reported the bonus disc also contained deleted scenes. Hopefully they're right.