Meat Grinder aka Cheuat Gon Chim aka Human Meat Noodles

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by 2D4EVER, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Thai horror with a splash of lime

[​IMG]

Ok where to begin. First off go seek this movie out and enjoy because I think this is the best asian horror movie I've seen in years. I usually stick away from the gorehound movies but to be honest the gore isn't as exploitative here and definitely not just pointless gore for the sake of gore. It is a brutal story touching on anti government sentiment, lunacy, feminism, abuse, revenge, jealousy, and special noodle recipes.

Supposedly scenes were cut from this movie. I can think of maybe 4 or 5 scenes where a tiny bit of footage was cut. Likely a bit of nudity and maybe a few extreme close up shots of gore. But what is left in is still quite disturbing. Fear not there are plenty of nice and bloody kills and limbs do fly. Also from the beginning the main character has a strange habit of dunking her head in a big clay pot. The reason for this is revealed and it is messed up.

I don't really want to touch on the story or the characters too much because it is a quite simplistic setup and story. The characters are well developed. The main character (and her mother) give probably the best performances of the movie. The reveals and flashbacks are done so well.

Also this is a GOOD looking movie. The cinematography is excellent, the lighting is great, the slowmo, black and white transfers, editing and effects are all top notch. I also enjoyed the freak out scene done with a camera mounted on the character. The sound is also amazingly done. There are no BOO scares in this one. Just fucked up shit that doesn't need a loud sound to scare you. In fact during the most tense and suspenseful scene there is no music. It's almost silent. And you will be on the edge of your seat. And the music used during certain parts just fit so well. If I knew thai I think a certain scene would be even more effective than it already was.

I know I didn't really touch on the story that much but I think it's better going in with no notion of the actual story. You can infer a lot from the title but I'll leave the details with a bit of mystery. If there are any flaws I was not a huge fan of the ending but it was still better than anything hollywood has come up with recently. Also there was a scene near the end shot with a very shaky cam from afar that I thought was unnecessary. Other than that this movie gets my highest recommendation. I don't know if that means anything to anyone but I'm quite hard on movies. I also don't review or give my extended opinion on many things but I thought this was a very worthy movie and I want people to see it. I will put up some screenshots later.

I know I won't get any accolades from this review since I really didn't say much but if you got anything out of it just watch the fuckin thing and enjoy a well made thai horror movie.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Thai films don't have nudity. I guess they figure if you want to see nude Thai girls, you can just pay for one in real life.

This explains the bizarre shower scene in Sick Nurses, where a girl takes a shower completely clothed.

3. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Deluge of pictures:

Buss (the main character):
    [​IMG]

Attapon (the sucker):
    [​IMG]

This guy sure looks like an asshole:
    [​IMG]

Just another family night:
    [​IMG]

TGIF...Monday is a nightmare:
    [​IMG]

I can hold my breath longer than you can:
    [​IMG]

Student riot in Thailand...usually doesn't end well:
    [​IMG]

Mmm...fresh ground meat:
    [​IMG]

Anyone else getting hungry?:
    [​IMG]

I guess this would put a damper on anyone's appetite:
    [​IMG]

Some beautifully constructed shots in this movie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You trying to steal my recipe?:
    [​IMG]

Man someone told me there was gold in this pot:
    [​IMG]

Like mother like daughter:
    [​IMG]

You don't want to go for a swim in the blood box:
    [​IMG]

Sexy...CUT:
    [​IMG]

Oh boy:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.

4. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Oh yes one final thing about the movie: It's 90 minutes long. THANK FUCKING GOD. I don't know when the turning point was but it seems now every movie has to be at least 2 hours long. 90 minutes is the perfect length for many movies. Especially horror and action movies. The industry seemed to know this for a long time but early this decade forgot that audiences don't want 30 minutes of filler ruining a movie that would otherwise have been at least decent.

5. atrumdecor

atrumdecor Guest

subtitles

there are english subtitles I assume?

6. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Yes. I just turned them off when taking the screen caps.