Meatball Machine

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DefJeff, May 24, 2007.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I noticed Diabolik has a R1 DVD of this up now.

Besides having a great title, I thought this film looked pretty cool. I found this page on it but couldn't find much else.

Has anyone seen this that can share an opinion? or anyone heard anything about it?

2. Numania

Numania Guest

I remember hearing about it a few months ago and was really excited. I just ordered mine this morning, so hopefully we can talk more about it soon.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Looks... graphic.

4. Ecstatica

Ecstatica Member

5. Numania

Numania Guest

Thanks for the review(s)!
    I'm a big fan of Tetsuo, so that review was very reassuring.

6. Numania

Numania Guest

I agree with Ecstatica. It was pretty funny and pretty gory. It is kind of a cross between Tetsuo and Carpenter's The THing. Well, that's how I saw it anyway.
    It was pretty good. I don't know how often I'll rewatch it, but I'm not sad I bought it.

7. logboy

logboy Guest

watch the making of stuff on the american discs - there's a certain amount of explanation about how the original (which this is effectively a remake of, with yamaguchi's additional input) was directly inspired by tetsuo... didn't sound like a get out clause to my ears, more like an explanation of what was behinf a low budget film that was inspired to do something similar but a bit different / individual and less directly art based. good film.

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i bought and watched this one last night.
    a fun movie. i wasn't blown away but it had a little Tetsuo meets Guyver action, and with a few beers, moved along fast enough. I'll hang on to it for a while but i could see selling it off after a few more viewings.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:D

Well, this is a horror/comedy film that perhaps only the Japanese can make. It's essentially Tetsuo but with more action, and less pretention to greatness.

Basically the plot - which makes little sense - probably was inspired by some Manga somewhere. Aliens have come down to Earth (or did they rise from the bottom of the ocean?) and are inhabiting human bodies. Once they have done that, they fight to the death. These aliens - little critters that look like maggots with jaws - live in a small pouch on the shoulder of the person they're inhabiting. They control their possessed bodies like puppets, poking out eyes, creating huge guns from arms, and basically rendering the body cannon fodder.

Other than that, there's a small romantic plot woven in, which serves only to limit the number of bodies that had to be created to make the film work. Once inhabited, the bodies get covered in strange body armor (and this is were the Tetsuo connection comes in), part robots, part alien, and part human.

After that, it's all fights, blood, and screaming.

Not sure what I was expecting with this one, and it's certainly not a great film. It's not even essential Asian cinema. But it didn't offend me either. The DVD has some extras, and the picture quality is great.

If you want a diversion, this might well do.