Media Blasters Finally, and Officially, Announces Godzilla Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Shawn Francis, May 27, 2011.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I want to see the zipper on Godzilla's back. :cry:

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Godzilla vs Megalon DVD & Blu-Ray has been delayed until December (18th according to Amazon, 20th according to Deep Discount)

Media Blasters mentioned on their facebook about it having to do with the Blu-ray and the english dub.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yeah but they also mentioned the dvd audio was ok why delay dvd also???

6. MisterTwister

I don't get it either. They didn't delay the Story of Ricky DVD when the Blu-Ray was so why Megalon?

EDIT-on their facebook

UPDATE: GvM, Just so everyone knows the masters are sitting for DVD and Blu Ray but at this point the can not ship as we are waiting for Toho approvals. Given this we can not make street date. We will update all once Toho gives us approval or further changes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Toho is one of the most over-corporatized, anal-retentive companies when it comes this sort of stuff. You can't even have an English language commentary on an American Godzilla DVD unless they've approved of everything the commentator said. They have veto power over all the supplements and a lot of other things.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I watched the DAM blu-ray twice yesterday. First time with the commentary, which was very informative (as always with these guys). Second time with the AIP dub as I have never heard it before. The AIP dub was better than what some reviewers made it out to be. I've watched a lot of older films with less than ideal sound sources, so the fluttering sound at some points did not bother me. If anything, It added to the retro feel of the movie. The AIP dub is so much better than the international dub and will from now on be my choice when watching the movie. Thanks MB for including it despite less than ideal quality! As for the video quality, it was miles ahead of the ADV VHS/DVD I had. Colors really popped out. I understand what everyone is talking about in regards to the softness and contrast levels. After watching DAM, It got me into a Godzilla mood and I've watched some of the my other discs and the softness appears on it as well. So to me, this is a TOHO deal and not necessarily MB's fault. Anyway, I'm completely satisfied with this purchase, especially since I got it for $15 off Deep Discount. Thank you so much MB for putting this out on BD. Godzilla BDs are severely lacking in North America. It does not seem Sony is interested at all in putting out BDs or Classic Media for that matter, so this, along with Megalon and Criterion's Godzilla may be it until the Legendary Pictures film comes out in 2013/2014. Then again, Echo Bridge may put out Biollante, though hard telling what may come of that...

9. fceurich39

i got an email from image entertainment they said they own the us version of godzilla 1985 and a widescreen dvd/blu-ray release is in the works looked over at dvdaf for this all it says is not announced

10. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Oh, fuck, for real?! This is big! I'm posting that on my facebook and my blog. That news is SO fuckin' big it ain't even funny!

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Anchor Bay used to think they owned Godzilla '85 as well and we all know how that turned out. Image maybe jumping the gun if they haven't consulted with Toho first.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Image now has New World's catalog, but word is the rights have lapsed on Godzilla 1985. We'll see I guess. Media Blasters was rumored to be looking into Godzilla 1985, maybe for the Japanese edit which apparently has its own license. If Image releases this I doubt MB will bother.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  13. jonathan3880

jonathan3880 New Member

Its so crazy to watch horror nights. Its really a great show.

14. MisterTwister

Updates:

"Sorry guys but Toho still has not approved and they are upset about DAM also. In our effort to pack this with lots of extras that folks requested Toho is now making us hold on re-orders of DAM and MvG release. We are now trying to come to a settlement with Toho"

From Media Blaster's facebook.

Those who have gotten their DAM DVD or Blu-rays, feel lucky.

15. fceurich39

my indie store has the new DAM DVD STILL i wonder if i should it get it since i am assuming it will be OOP really quick i still have the older dvd release but only watched it once

16. MisterTwister

I would get it.

You never know what's going to happen with Toho.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

The upcoming Criterion GODZILLA release ran afoul of this type of thing too. All the ownership parties had veto control over the content of the special features - and with the inclusion of the American cut there were more parties to deal with than usual - and one party, we don't know whether or not it was Toho, but I'm guessing it was - did not like something that was on the audio commentary. Apparently they had initially approved of what the commentator said, but then after the discs went in for authoring they had a change of heart and suddenly said "Take that out!" It was too late in the process for the commentator to be brought back to record something else, so now there will be several minutes of dead space I'm told, all they could do was edit the offending remarks out and bring up the movie volume in their place.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  18. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

You guys are scaring me....I just ordered DAM blu-ray on Amazon. I was intending on waiting for a sale, but I'm not taking any chances.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

bummer. i can't afford to be picking stuff up for myself right now. xmas shopping is taking up the lions share of my extra cash, and after splurging on the barnes and noble 50% off sale, i swore to myself that i wouldn't buy anything else, no matter how much i wanted it or what a good deal it was, until boxing day. so far so good, but it might mean i miss out on stuff like this....

20. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Got the DAM blu-ray in the mail today. Skipped through it a bit to check picture quality. Some scenes are a little soft while others pop with some good detail. A good start for my soon to grow Godzilla blu-ray collection.