Mediocrity Unrated

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Aug 13, 2004.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

No doubt due to the resounding box office success of Club Dread earlier this year, 20th Century Fox will be double dipping with yet another new disc. The hook this time is that the new Broken Lizard film will be unrated and filled with an extra 15 minutes of footage. A whopping 22 deleted scenes will also be included, as well as a new commentary by the Lizard gang. The new disc will be released just in time for the fall horror season on September 28th for $19.99. This should satisfy fans until the inevitable Ultimate Edition.

Attached Files:

• club.jpg
      club.jpg
      File size:
      92.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Morg

Morg Guest

I wonder if unrated in this case means more gore or more T&A? Or both? Or, God forbid, neither.

3. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

There's really no point in releasing an unrated version of a movie if more T&A or gore is not added. Still, in any case, I'm getting this one when it comes out.

4. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

At least this release is more deserving than Van Helsing's ultimate super duper deluxe edition...$60? Please. $19.99 retail isn't that bad...it won't be that bad for the people who are double dipping.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, one of the worst films I have seen this year. These lame Scary Movie type parodies have got to stop.
    Good news for the folks who enjoy this type of thing I guess. These constant reissues are dumb too, Underworld was bad enough!!

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, but at least the VAN HELSING disc has movies that are actually good (Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man).

7. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Bah! :) How did you not like Club Dread, rhett?? I loved it. :D

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I've never heard of it :D

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Excellent film, my second favorite comedy. The laughs almost never cease, the characters are wonderful, there's nice gore, and of course, the beyond gorgeous Jordan Ladd and the great Bill Paxton have a nice bit of screen time. 15 minutes is a lot of extra footage, and I can't wait to check it out!

10. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Jordan Ladd is gorgeous, unfortunatley this film is not (although it's not fair since I didn't make it to the end). I'm in the Rhett-camp with this one. For my Jordan Ladd fix i've got Cabin Fever.

11. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Cabin Fever and Club Dread are two of my favorite films of the last few years, so I can get a nice Jordan fix from them both. Also, Cabin Fever has the lovely Cerina as well, so double the beauty factor in it for me, hehe. Roth not only made an outstanding film, but he was also cool in getting two knockouts for the cast. Jordan alone would've been nice enough. I really hope the extra 15 minutes for this DC include a good bit more Jordan. More Paxton too.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I've got plans to pick up both the Ultimate Van Helsing Edition (not getting the Horror Greats DVD sets of Drac etc. so this way I get to have the originals anyway) and Club Dread Unrated DVDs. I'll also be getting The Girl Next Door Unrated and Mean Girls SE too.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I agree, Jordan Ladd is great, but I didn't care for this movie.

14. Many of the jokes in Club Dread are so subtle that they'll slip under most viewers' radars.

15. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I think what I loved about it most was how much it reminded me of an early 80's slasher. Much moreso than Scream did.

You can tell that Broken Lizard is a fan of the sub-genre (citing among other films, My Bloody Valentine, as one of their inspirations and favorite films).

16. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I think they marketed it as a comedy first like Super Troopers. Instead, it was more of a slasher movie with humor. People expecting a Scary Movie type of film will probably be disappointed...but I did enjoy most of it.

17. zombee

zombee Guest

"From that day on, Phil Coletti was forever known as Machete... Phil."

18. mgfred

mgfred Guest

This movie definately gets better with repeat viewings. I liked it the first time and loved it the second time!

19. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

I thought it was pretty hilarious myself, especially that extended climax. A lot of the film's pokes on the genre seem to channel the slasher films of the 80s rather than the awful post-modern SCREAM clones, and that's definitely not a bad thing.

20. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I just finished watching this unrated and thought it was hilarious. There were some nice gore shots there too and the Coconut Pete songs were great too. The Jimmy Buffet reference was too damn funny. The Scream / I Know... comparisons are obvious but this movie was much better than either of those 2 franchises. The sex scenes (for the most part) were welcomed.