Memorable/effective horror movie scores

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Feb 8, 2009.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    There is a scene in Argento's OPERA where Betty has been given a ride by the director and there's this cool music playing that underscores the exchange between them. I've always wanted to have it, but it's never been on any soundtracks.
    THE FUNHOUSE has an A+ score, especially the finale. The opening credits to FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 has a fine, manic score. I also loved the opening credit music to the 7th Friday film THE NEW BLOOD.

2. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I would say:

Chopping Mall-Chuck Cirino- (AWESOME score!)

Return Of The Living Dead-Matt Clifford

The Blob-Michael Hoenig

The Burning-Rick Wakeman

Clownhouse- Michael Becker and Thomas Richardson

Planet Terror-Robert Rodriguez

The Hitcher-Mark Isham

Creepshow 2: Les Reed and Rick Wakeman

Friday The 13th Part 6: Jason Lives- (Harry Manfredini)set up a lot of great material that saved The New Blood from the bumps-and-thumps-only score of Fred Mollin

(not horror) but Jonathan Elias' Tuff Turf-(great 80s synth action)

And maniac does have a score (by Jay Chattaway)-a crazy,synthesized one that,as someone said,fits the film like a glove.The knifing stingers mirror the on-screen carnage perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Halloween (1978)
    Rosemary's Baby
    Psycho (1960)
    Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

There are three horror/suspense scores that are simply wonderful. One is Philippe Sarde's score to Ghost Story. Very creepy, effective and haunting, and at the same time, beautiful. Another is Christopher Young's score from Jennifer 8. This is my all time favorite. It is suspenseful and amazingly beautiful. I never grow tired of listening to it. Third, the music of Michael Small in Klute. Holy shit..one of the most eerie scores you will ever hear.

For non-horror films, Mark Isham's score for Reversal of Fortune is equally haunting.

Of course, ANYTHING composed by Jerry Goldsmith was fucking genius, particulary The Omen and Planet of the Apes (1968).

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Lots of my favorites listed here already but I've seen no mention of Angelo Badalamenti's scores for David Lynch. Maybe not horror films in the traditional sense, but they can be truly horrific. I wonder if they'd be so memorable without Badalementi's beautiful scores.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Though it is very much of it's era (and there's really nothing wrong with that) I find the Carpenter/Howarth score for HALLOWEEN 3:SEASON OF THE WITCH to be memorable.Going way back I'll give a shout out to veteran A.I.P composer Ronald Stein.He did a lot of fine work on many low cost wonders,among them THE HAUNTED PALACE and DEMENTIA 13.

7. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

I actually thought Scalps had a nice eerie synth score. Then there's Laserblast,Re-Animator,The Fog,all the Goblin stuff,etc.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The jukebox was just spinning my horror themes / soundtracks playlist and...

I have to again seriously herald Jay Chattaway's score for Maniac. It has to be one of the greatest scores in the entire genre. It will make the hair on your arms stand up. I've been saying a lot in the past few years that I personally vote Phantasm as the best horror score. Ahead of Carpenter's Halloween. Maniac is a damn close 2nd. Easily.

I see in my previous post I also forgot to mention Carter Burwell's for Psycho III. Repetitive though it is.

Oh, and Asei Kobayashi / Godiego's soundtrack for House/Hausu (1977).

And David Hess's for The Last House on the Left.

And Carlo Savina's for Lisa and the Devil.

MorallySound likes this.
  9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

+1 on Burwell.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.