***MERGED - Freddy vs. Jason-discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by r_burgos2003, Aug 13, 2003.

1. I got more gore than I expected and a fun time. To expect intelligence from this kind of movie is pointless.. I fucking loved it!

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

So...do you guys think that because of the success of FvsJ, Paramount will go back and start giving the Friday films the SE treatment?

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

If they don't then I think they might be dumber than Artisan, no wait, atleast Paramount does OAR.

4. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

I hated the squirting blood, reminded me of Severed :sleepy: but other than that I loved it, I didn't really mind the CGI, but that's just me

5. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Overall, I thought the movie was pretty cool. The CG annoyed the crap out of me though. IMO there was WAY too much CG, especially in the gore scenes, as well as a number of other FX shots where computer animation was just not necessary. I think the overuse of CGI is just a cop out so that the special effects can be done quickly in post-production, and it looks fake to me. And who the hell's bright idea was it to cast Kelly Rowland? She was so annoying that I almost wanted to see Busta come in and do some Kung Fu on her face.:fire: I also thought Freddy played to the camera a little too much, like he had to explain to the audience what was happening. Finally, I would have preferred to see Kane play Jason. I think he has a better "walk". Kirzinger wasn't that bad though. Despite all this, I still enjoyed the film a lot. It had some really cool kill scenes, CG aside. A higher body count would have been nice though. The fight scenes were really good too - nice & messy!:evil: It was nice to see these guys on the big screen again.

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Listen, like it or not CGI is the future of special effects. It looks like crap now, but think about how we're still in an age of experimentation. Think about how CGI looked even just five years ago compared to today. Think about what you're saying, complaining about CGI in FREDDY VS. JASON, quite frankly did you ever think you'd see the day?

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

mcchrist, CGI is the future of FX but GORE cgi will always suck

GORE FX needs to be organic. Organic for mcchrist's sake!

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Agreed. I don't think it looks all that bad now though. You can do some pretty amazing things with CGI that you can't do with traditional SFX.

9. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Right on!

10. mcchrist

Hey man, I'm not disputing that CGI looks shitty for gore... right now. Reletively speaking CGI is still in its infancy, you can't make a claim that CGI gore will *always* suck because there's going to come a point when the technology will be good enough to do anything with it.

11. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Then why use it....right now? The Chaostar is dead-on.....why even mess around with CGI, when the organic effects will be that much better anyway? For a film that claims a 30 million dollar budget, I'm not sure that it was money well-spent......

12. mcchrist

Practice? I dunno man, I just thinking bashing CGI for CGI's sake is silly, even at this point. Besides, other then the caterpiller, I didn't think the CGI was that bad in FvJ to begin with.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Alright, what was your favorite Freddy-ism this time around? Just thinking about the film again, I can't help but chuckle at the

"How sweet, dark meat!"

line. That one had the theatre in hysterics. That was easily my favorite of the film. The "its not my fault, the bitch is dead on her feet!" was also a goodie.

As far as the CGI debate goes though, I had no problems with it in FVSJ. Yeah, the caterpillar looked cheap, but the rest of the gore looked cool. Organic is still the best, but CGI is so much easier to work with, and I am sure that is why companies opt to work with it. Crews can shoot the scenes without having to worry about elaborate make up and mechanic set ups. Get on the green suit, and let them sweat it in post production.

14. dayglo

dayglo Member

"NOT MY ARM!!!!"

Easily the funniest line Freddy had. I don't know why, but it just had me in stitches.:D

15. marcx

marcx New Member

couple of things:

Rhett it seems paramount has announced that they will make an announcement about fRay SE's in sept....

Favorite Freddy line has to be the dark meat line....

And I must ne missing something on the cgi. Except for some of freddy's dream stuff like the caterpillar I though the splatter fx looked old school and great to me...was I missing something?

16. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Then you missed "Got your nose!" :)

17. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Actually Kelly said on E! that she wore a prosthetic for that scene.

18. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Maybe a green one that allowed for CGI :) hehe... seriously, I dunno, it looked like CGI to me, but maybe just the nose was, and it was prosthetic for her face without the nose.

19. Latency

Latency Guest

That nose scene was so bad it mad me shake my head and yell a "C'MON" in the theatre. Unacceptable considering they had 25 million to play with. I'm just glad they didn't pull a BLADE and make CGI blood :D .

20. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

Don't yell in the theater, it ruins the movie for the rest of us! do your yelling at home.