Metropolis... UNCUT!?!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KR~!, Jul 3, 2008.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

SOURCE: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Do you want to hear something EXTREMELY cool, especially if you're a serious film fan? Film archivists at the Museo del Cine (Cinema Museum) in Buenos Aires have recently uncovered the lost footage from Fritz Lang's original 1927 version of Metropolis in 16mm negatives! You can read more on this news here at ZEIT Online and here as well. Apparently a copy of the long version of the film was set to Argentina in 1928 for a theatre screening. Shortly thereafter, a local film critic came into possession of the film reels and added them to his private collection. They were later sold to Argentina's National Art Fund, and were eventually donated to the Museo del Cine, where they were eventually rediscovered by the museum's curator this past January. The footage isn't apparently in the greatest shape, but it CAN be restored to the point where Lang's original vision can finally be appreciated by audiences in theatres and on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. As fans of the film are no doubt aware, some 20% of the footage from Lang's original version was considered lost until this discovery. This is just extremely cool news! You can read our review of Kino's previous (and outstanding, we might add) DVD release here. Let's hope Kino is able to include the new footage in their forthcoming Blu-ray edition due sometime in 2009. Special thanks to Bits reader David J. for bringing our attention to this! We can't WAIT to see it for ourselves.

We'll be back with a new Classic Coming Attractions column from Barrie Maxwell tomorrow morning, as well as lots of release news. Stay tuned!

SOURCE: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wow. I almost didn't click on this because I assumed it had to be the Anime film since the Fritz Lang uncut version is, as we all know, no longer in existence.

UNTIL NOW!!! :banana:

Thanks, KR! You made my night.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This really is a shocker. Nice to read. Thanks for the heads up!

I can't believe they did not know they had this in their possession.

I better look under my staircase. Maybe there is the uncut version of My Bloody Valentine or Event Horizon down there.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Great news,stuff like this always gives me a thrill.

5. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

huge follow up,

Kino has confirmed that this footage will be part of their new SE DVD and Blu-Ray releases! They will be release sometime next year in 2009.

6. Noto

Noto Guest

This is some of the best news in the history of news.

7. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Wow, I will definitely be buying this one. This could be the Blueray title that makes me upgrade from regular dvd's.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Awesome news. I still have yet to see Metropolis, (yeah I know...), so it sounds like I'll wait and get my first screening with the way Fritz Lang intended.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It is great when stuff like this is found!!

10. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Yeah, when I heard this news last week it left me reeling! That time period is so rare, only 20% of silent films have survived or have been found, more appear every year, but time is still running out on many. For a landmark film like this, that's quite remarkable!

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Reuters reports that one 5 minute scene is missing, but beyond that the film is intact.

Also DigitalBits reports:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa158.html#mrb

Sweet.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Hopefully Forrest J. Ackerman will live long enough to see it. It's his favorite film.

13. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

Now we need to find the lost films of Clara Bow, Theda Bara, and Olive Thomas!

14. Severn

Severn Member

Wow... this is pretty historic. Incredible really. Almost doesn't seem real since something like this pops up every few years and it turns out to be crap. But this is the real deal.

Thanks for the heads up.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

According to this article, they are targeting the beginning of 2010. They also include clips of the new footage. It'll probably be a year from now before we can expect it on DVD/Blu.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Reconstructed Original Cut of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis to Celebrate its Premiere at the Berlinale 2010:
    But we'll have a chance to see it state side at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, April 22-25, 2010:
    Tickets are only $499. :eek2:

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

And that's the price of a region-free Oppo blu-ray player. Heh...

~Matt

18. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

But when is the BLU RAY release, that is the burning question!!

19. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

We have an update!:

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"Here's some cool late-breaking news for you guys. You may recall last year that we reported on the discovery of "lost" footage from Fritz Lang's 1927 classic, Metropolis, in a film archive in Buenos Ares. That footage has now been fully restored, and thanks to Roger Ebert, we've learned that the newly reconstructed and restored version of Metropolis (incorporating this lost footage) will finally be unveiled in German this Friday. We've contacted Kino for additional details about their promised DVD and Blu-ray re-issue of the film with the new footage. Our latest information (from Barrie's recent Classic Coming Attractions column) was that the title was still slated for release later this year. Well, you'll be pleased to see that there's now a date listed on Kino's official website for the film: April 2010! That's when (we're told by Kino) the restored film will premiere theatrically here in the States (in NYC). We've also confirmed that the DVD/Blu-ray re-issue IS tentatively planned for sometime likely in late 2010 (an official street date is still TBD). We'll post additional details here as we get them from Kino. We expect more information following this Friday's unveiling. VERY exciting indeed!"

It is "VERY exciting indeed!" indeed! :D

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Got to see this this weekend on the big screen with a live orchestra. It was amazing!