Metropolis... UNCUT!?!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KR~!, Jul 3, 2008.

1. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

This excites me a great deal.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd ask about the changes and restoration, but I understand this was your first time viewing it, so it'd be a little hard to compare. :D

I'm psyched for this on Blu. I'm hesitant though because the last "restoration" applied enough DVR to make it look like an animated film. Plus Kino has a tendency to screw up the very basics of a transfer. There shouldn't be a PAL-to-NTSC conversion problem in HD, but stranger things have happened (even in HD).

3. foller

foller Active Member

The restored film will premiere on Friday night (12th) on the Berlinale film festival in Berlin. At the same time it will be shown on "arte", a German/French television program. This will be followed by a documentary about the restauration.
    The film will also be shown outside in front of the Brandenburg Gate for public viewing at the same time.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I will be in Berlin for the Festival. Metropolis is one of the reasons. The new Polanski film is the other. The festival begins at the 11, Thursday. Will send my "report" on the Metropolis restoration. I am thrilled!

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow this is amazing. Wow.

~Matt

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

It's a living. :p

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The DVD and Blu-Ray comes this November!:

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"other news, those of you who can't wait for more information on the theatrical and home video release of the new restoration of Fritz Lang's Metropolis will be pleased to know that Kino's new website for the release will go live on 4/15. The film makes its U.S. theatrical debut at the TCM Festival in Hollywood on 4/25. The DVD and Blu-ray release is currently planned for November. Check this story at AICN for a little more today, and be sure to check out the official website on 4/15 for LOTS more."

8. Nailwraps

We've gotten early details and artwork on the upcoming, highly-anticipated DVD and Blu-Ray releases of the reconstructed and restored version of Metropolis!:

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content.php?contentid=72540

"Following the theatrical release in September The Masters of Cinema Series have Special Edition DVD and Blu-ray Disc editions of Fritz Lang's Metropolis in its newly reconstructed and restored version planned for release in 'Late 2010'. Through the official website they have revealed early artwork and specs...

Features include:
    -150-minute feature film (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world)
    -Special-edition packaging with lavish wraparound sleeve and embossed printing
    -Pristine film transfers presented on Blu-ray (1080p) and DVD (2-disc)
    -Newly translated optional English subtitles
    -Full-length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum
    -Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010) documentary about the film
    -56-page booklet featuring new essays, archival interviews, vintage production stills, and more
    -Further extras to be announced nearer the release date"

Also, learn about the restoration!:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/movies/05metropolis.html?th&emc=th

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

awesome. just....awesome.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Man,this sounds fantastic .

11. unclefred

unclefred New Member

That is awesome, but I have to admit fondness for the release with the Queen soundtrack.

12. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Apparently a copy of the long version of the film was set to Argentina in 1928 for a theatre screening. Shortly thereafter, a local film critic came into possession of the film reels and added them to his private collection.

LOL what a sweet way to say he stole them!!!

13. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

I actually saw the uncut version at the Harbor Theater during the Lakeside Film Festival. The print was great, and the soundtrack they used accompanied perfectly with the film.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I got to watch it at the Music Box tonight and I was surprised by how rough the discovered footage was. The added footage looked like it was dragged over a parking lot and was noticeably cropped. This is NOT a complaint mind you, it is what it is, but many reviews call this a stunning transfer without mentioning the condition of the new footage.

The footage adds a lot of good stuff for the final Act, but I'll admit some of the earlier stuff I could have lived without. Still, I'll be picking up the Blu for sure. Some days I'll watch the short version, other days I'll watch the full version.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  15. Nailwraps

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

" We're very pleased today to break the news that our friends over at Kino have just officially announced the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Complete Metropolis on 11/16! Here's the full text of their press release...

"KINO LORBER IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE HOME ENTERTAINMENT RELEASE OF METROPOLIS

THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS

PREBOOK: OCTOBER 19, 2010
    STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2010

YEAR: 1927 / 2010
    GENRE: SCIENCE FICTION / CLASSIC

Metropolis takes place in 2026, when the populace is divided between workers who must live in the dark underground and the rich who enjoy a futuristic city of splendor. The tense balance of these two societies is realized through images that are among the most famous of the 20th century, many of which presage such sci-fi landmarks as 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner. Lavish and spectacular, with elaborate sets and modern science fiction style, Metropolis stands today as the crowning achievement of the German silent cinema.

Kino International is proud to announce the DVD and long awaited first time ever Blu-ray release of the new restoration of Fritz Lang's 1927 science fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS, now with 25 minutes of lost footage and the original Gottfried Huppertz score. This new 147-minute version (being released as THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS), opened theatrically in April 2010 earning over $350,000 at the box office, and since it’s original restoration, has gone on to earn $1,000,000 in theatrical ticket sales!

When it was first screened in Berlin on January 10, 1927, the sci-fi epic ran an estimated 153 minutes. After its premiere engagement, in an effort to maximize the film's commercial potential, the film's distributors (UFA in Germany, Paramount in the U.S.) drastically shortened METROPOLIS, which had been a major disappointment at the German box office. By the time it debuted in the United States later that year, the film ran approximately 90 minutes (exact running times are difficult to determine because silent films were not always projected at a standardized speed).

METROPOLIS went on to become one of the cornerstones of science fiction cinema foreshadowing BLADE RUNNER and THE MATRIX to name just a few recent examples. Testament to its enduring popularity, the film has undergone restorations in 1984 and again in 1987. The 2001 restoration combined footage from four archives and ran at a triumphant 124 minutes. And at the time was widely believed that this would be the most complete version of Lang's film that contemporary audiences could ever hope to see. But, in the summer of 2008, the curator of the Buenos Aires Museo del Cine discovered a 16mm dupe negative that was considerably longer than any existing print. It included not merely a few additional snippets, but 25 minutes of "lost" footage (about a fifth of the film) that had not been seen since its 1927 debut in Berlin. The discovery of such a significant amount of material called for yet another restoration, carefully executed by Anke Wilkening of the Murnau Stiftung (Foundation) (the German institution that is the caretaker of virtually all pre 1945 German films), Martin Koerber, Film Department Curator of the Deutche Kinemateque and on the music side, by Frank Stoebel. Regarding the quality of the added footage Ms. Wilkening has said: "The work on the restoration teaches us once more that no restoration is ever definitive... Even if we are allowed for the first time to come as close to the first release as ever before, the new version will still remain an approach. The rediscovered sections which change the film's composition, and at the same time always be recognizable through their damages as those parts that had been lost for 80 years."

DVD ITEM#K690
    UPC# 7 38329 06902 5
    SRP: $29.95

DVD Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround
    - Limited Edition Collectible "O-Card" Packaging
    - Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film
    - Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered
    - 2010 re-release trailer

BLU-RAY ITEM#K713
    UPC# 7 38329 07132 5
    SRP: $39.95

Blu-ray Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
    - Limited Edition Collectible 3-D Lenticuar Box Packaging
    - HD Video: 1920 x 1080p
    - Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film (presented in HD)
    - Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered
    - 2010 re-release trailer

---END---"

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I want this to be the first blu ray that I ever buy.

I hope that it's in print for a very long time.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Maybe I should finally watch this film. Would you guys call it a horror film? Or it is more sci-fi?

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

sci-fi

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

WANT WANT WANT NOW.
    I'm sooooo getting this.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Ash, are you serious?

This release excites me. About 20% of silent films have survived, so many have been lost. You realize that two... TWO versions of Dracula were produced before Nosferatu? And neither one are believed to exist anymore! This footage of Metropolis is hugE!!!

From a post-modernist standpoint, I am highly disappointed that the Moroder version is not in the upcoming set. I feel it is an unjustice, but that may be me.