Metropolis... UNCUT!?!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KR~!, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I know. It's history in the making, my friend. History in the making. ;)

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

[​IMG]
    The world premiere of the new cut at Berlin Film Festival last February. At Brandenburg Tor. Night - freezing cold. Yet, none complained. I took the pic. A once-in-a-lifetime experience I will never forget.
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/287477

3. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

It's tragic and it is staggering. The sheer effort and creativity expended only to end up as historical footnotes. Though, it's really no different than any other creative work to have been produced throughout the ages. Look at the library of Alexandria.

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

For those interested there is a pre-order for a dual format steelbook edition of the UK release (out 11/22) that comes with a free t-shirt. I'm not sure if it's only for people in the UK but I guess I'll find out soon enough as I pre-ordered a little while ago. The offer is only good until 24:00BST, 9/3.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Placed my order. We'll see it they ship to the states. I know I can't play the Region B right now but I know I will down the road.

I also placed a similar order for Hausu over at HKFlix. Sees like the only thing I'm pre-ordering these days comes with a tee!

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Amazon has it for pre-order for $29.99 shipped! That's $10 off plus free shipping!

Ash, if you never seen it before, you are in for a real treat, however please note that this is what it is, some modern viewers, who are not use to silent pictures, may find the pacing to be too slow. But, for me everything is so breathtaking that I find it mesmerizing and the pace just right.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have the R2 "Limited Edition Dual Format" SteelBook on pre-order at Amazon UK. £18.39 shipped (about $29) isn't bad at all...and this edition looks awesome.

It is confirmed that it will be Region B locked - but thankfully I'm now completely Region free. :)

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Looks like that offer was open to US residents, I got the shirt today. I am kind of disappointed though, the page made it sound like the steelbook was exclusive to that offer but now I see it's available for pre-order at a cheaper price on Amazon UK. So much for the "free" t-shirt (it really costs about 7GBP...).

9. Nailwraps

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Well I finally caught up to this film and it was the uncut version which aired on TCM last week. It really was a brilliant film, way ahead of it's time. To my surprise there actually was quite a few horror elements and creepy imagery that kept me satisfied in that respect. I'm glad I was able to save my first view for this new version.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Sadly I missed out on seeing the restored print in the theater earlier this year,last minute snag in my plans.I'll have to pick this disc up.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't understand all this region-locking bullshit. The Kino release is region-free, yet the Masters of Cinema edition (the one I REALLY want) is region B locked? FUCK!

Then you have Studio Canal taking their films back from Criterion, Peeping Tom and Le Cercle Rouge in particular, only for them to be region B locked as well with not even a hint of a Region A release! What the fuck is the deal with this shit? If Studio Canal owns them outright, why the fuck are they region-locking their titles!? So irritating.

~Matt

14. Nailwraps

15. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Ditto. I can't believe I let this one get away. Incredible turn of events on this whole thing, which due to personal crap, I just missed out entirely on. I care more about 25 minutes of Metropolis than I do the whole feature length of London After Midnight. Sigh.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They've also (thankfully) since added comparisons with the Masters of Cinema Blu-ray.

Apparently the transfers are virtually identical, except for the MOC version using the original German intertitles. Sounds like the MOC subtitles are also also more complete/accurate.

I like the look of the MOC menus more too.

17. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well then, why don't you buy the rights again from Canal+ and issue a region A release of Peeping Tom on your own?
    You get my drift, why should Studio Canal release their titles without region lock? So you can buy it and make them lose money? Of course is region locked! That way, a north american company can re-purchase the rights. Again for a limited amount of time and for limited copies, which will sell immediately, as you can imagine. That way, both companies win money. Appart from us the poor buyers of course.

However, the real issue is that there is a region free blu-ray player out there and any cinephile must own it.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No, it's irritating because there's no consistency to their region locking of their titles. Contempt, Ran, The Ladykillers, etc are region free titles from Studio Canal and they're owned by Studio Canal worldwide. Even the Three Days of the Condor European blu ray is region free and it's owned by Paramount in North America. And how would me buying a Studio Canal blu ray cause Studio Canal to lose money? It's a European company so even if I bought a Studio canal title that was licensed to Criterion, Studio Canal still gets money. It just makes me mad that they refused to let Criterion release this title, only for it to come out in the UK and be region locked when it is owned by the same studio worldwide? Makes absolutely no sense. That was my point.

~Matt

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

But Criterion still owns Le Cercle Rouge...don't they? It's still in print, still available on their website. Great movie, btw.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

But of course, I'm not a real cinephile because I don't own a region free blu ray player. Right. So what do I know?

~Matt