Metropolis... UNCUT!?!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KR~!, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh wow nvm. Apparently Criterion still owns Cercle Rouge (it is owned by Canal though). So I guess there is the possibility that they'll release it on blu. Peeping Tom is definitely OOP though, so that still doesn't explain the region locking.

~Matt

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Stop being pissy Matt, you know I dig you. I never said that. I Simply said that that you must own one.
    "there is a region free blu-ray player out there and any cinephile must own it."

And Studio Canal still gets more money when they sell the rights of a film than from copies of a film. I think its very obvious, man.

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, I missed a screening today. It was playing at The Loft @ 11:30am (?) for one screening only and I had no idea until now, what garbage. :(

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know, I just like causing shot sometimes. My bad.

~Matt

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

A few thoughts on the UK BD I watched earlier in the week:

- I'm not the type to usually notice faults in video but in one scene we clearly see banding. I've never seen this on a BD before.

- They should have centered the new footage. It's not the same AR as the rest of the movie and when it comes on the image shifts down and to the right.

- I love the screen you get when you try to play the disc from the wrong region (see below)

All in all it was a good release though. My complaints above are very minor and don't ruin the viewing experience or anything (especially the last one, which has nothing to do with the viewing experience...) but since they jumped out at me while I was checking this out I thought I'd mention them here. Wish I'd noted where I saw the banding. It's my understanding that this could be a from a variety of causes so it may not be the disc, did anyone else notice this? Like I said, I've never noticed this before but I've only watched 2 other black and white BDs (Night of the Living Dead (UK) and Psycho (UK)). It was great to see this movie again, especially in HD!

From the screen you get telling you that you can't watch the disc:

At the end of the day the disc is still region coded but at least they don't seem to like doing this and offer a suggestion on how to get around this bullshit.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Probably due to the 16mm reinserted footage missing the top and left portions of the frame, and they would have needed to zoom in somehow otherwise...which perhaps would have looked even worse.

The included 56-page Booklet was rather well done in the MoC Blu-ray/DVD Dual-Format release.

What's odd is that the DVD is Region 2 "locked" but is completely in NTSC format (including the documentary), and not PAL...so there's no speed-up.