Michele Soavi's The Church, terrible!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Surge92, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

Hehe. It's by no means an upbeat, suspense laden film like say "Stagefright" but I thought it was cool and I'd buy it on DVD. There is a lot of neat imagery (goat headed devil, winged demon) in it, but I will admit that some of the scenes, especially when the people get locked inside the church, do get drawn out. I've only seen parts of "Cemetary Man" but from what everyone says, it must be great.

------------------
    "I could easily kill you now, but I'm determined to have your brain!"

--- Dr. Abrero in "Dr. Butcher M.D."

2. Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie Guest

I just watched Michele Soavi's The Church for the 1st time, and man is that a boring, uneven, uncomprehensible piece o'! Don't get me wrong, I love Dellamorte Dellamore and always will, but this film, presented and partially written by Dario Argento, is top of the line yawn! it's not frightening, it's simply, on all levels, badly done. The only cool thing WAS the church, and that got so little attention! instead we're dulled to nausea with a transparent plot line involving two boring fools and a suprisingly good Asia argento as a little girl who hates being home. Over acted, over written and over rated! I sought this out, only to be let down!
    PLEASE NOTE: no hostility please, I have simply made an observation, and this is my (god forsaken, I'm sure) opinion. I am entitled to one, and am sharing this in hopes of getting your intelligent opinion in response. thanks [​IMG]

------------------
    "Angel to some, demon to others"

[This message has been edited by Oogie Boogie (edited 02-01-2001).]

3. OK guys, fill me in....

I'm livening up this old ass, "dead" topic to find out your opinions on The Church & lay on me, a guy who's never saw it but wants to further his Euro horror experiences, your opinions on this flick!

1st off I do like the Demon movies & according to AB's synopsis, this was even called Demons 3 at one point! Also, Soavi's Dellamore Dellamorte is a movie I can't wait to come out on Region 1 (if it ever does), needless to say I like that too!.....will I like this flick?!?!? Hook me up with the 411 fellas!!!
    If its anything like the Demon movies, I'd buy it on the spot!

[​IMG]

Nice cover by the way!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2002
  4. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Cover artwork

for THE CHURCH is terrific, AB did themselves proud using the image from the Italian Locandina.

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I'll agree The Church is a bit too slow for it's own good but I don't think it's nearly as bad as the above posts make it sound. Soavi is very adept at composing a beautiful scene and visually the film is stunning, with several jaw-dropping camera set-ups that'll have any fan of gorgeous cinematography jumping for joy. It also has enough wild gore setpieces to satiate fans of the red, and I think the score is phenomenal.

I can't help but think that these posters that're calling it "badly done" haven't seen very many "badly done" films to compare it to. It stands head and shoulders above most genre films, but I'll be the first to agree it's pacing problems do hurt it and keep it from being a masterpiece.

6. bullseye!

yeah, what he said. :D the church is bad ass.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Re: OK guys, fill me in....

If you don't mind waiting till this weekend or so, my review will be up pretty soon.

Here's the Cliffs Notes version of my review though: Great imagery, but more than a little lacking in the storyline.

Sure, I've seen better, but I've also seen a LOT worse...

8. Well when I first watched The Church awhile ago I hated it,but after re-watching it I loved it.I really should have paid attention to the other things besides for the story that make this film great.I have enjoyed Soavis other work and this film secures Soavis place as a master filmaker.

9. I've always been very lukewarm on the Church. Its style always impressed me, but the story is a big bore. Theres far worse out there, but far better too, definitely doesnt really show the promise of how great Dellamorte/Dellamore would be.

10. AlkanFan

AlkanFan Guest

The Church is a really cool movie, somewhat similar in spirit to the Demons films but with a lot cooler music by Philip Glass (the song Floe from his CD Glassworks is played throughout the knight sequence and the end of the film), Simon Boswell (Stagefright, Hackers), Keith Emerson (Inferno), and Goblin. If you liked Demons then chances are that you'll like this one.

11. Trout

Trout Guest

When I first saw this film I was expecting another demons type movie so I was a little let down, but it has grown on me in recent years. Now with the AB dvd, I actually enjoy this film quite a bit.

12. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

I thought the film was decent far from great but good:)

13. piggwinn

piggwinn Guest

I thought it was exellent but was somewhat dissapointed with Stage Fright. Dellamorte is Saovi's finest so far I think.

14. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

so i finally saw this yesterday. i found this movie to be complete crap. im not a fan of the first 2 demons movies, but they are amazing compaired to this flick. the only thing this movie had going for it was a few decent gore shots. its cool to see these movies being released, but i wish i didnt pick this one up.
    oh yea, that little girl (asia argento i think) looks like alyssa milano when she was young on whos the boss. :)

15. DavidHess

DavidHess Guest

weeeeeeeeeeeee

Fiore Argento was HOT in this film. Dancing in the disco, climbing underneath the church, word up...

She can come and play in my library any time she wants.

16. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

Re: weeeeeeeeeeeee

Fiore was in the movie too?? or are have you been sniffing glue again?[​IMG]

17. Wasn't Fiore dead by then?

I thought The Church was okay. It sure wasn't Stagefright though.
    The opening scenes were beautiful, and it contained some awesome cinematography, but could have done with a few less screen-writers - 4 seems like too many, and the different styles only seem to have served to make the plot incomprehensible.

La Setta, and Dellamorte Dellamore are cool!

18. suspiria

suspiria Guest

don't know what you guys have been sniffing but thats ASIA in The Church NOT Fiore!

i actually enjoyed The Church more so over Stagefright.. It was MUCH better visually IMHO and featured some really good atmosphere whereas Stagefrifght was very bland... I'm not much of a slasher fan but always LOVE Argento's giallos.. Stagefright was just plain stupid to me.. On many occasions the characters would just act stupid and do stupid things... eg. the show's director would just stand there while the killer cuts his arm of with the chainsaw... why didn't the director make an attempt to hit him with the damn axe his was carrying?!! dumb dumb dumb...

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dead? Fiore Argento is very much alive...

20. DavidHess

DavidHess Guest

My mistake

And I was sniffing glue, but that's not important.