Michele Soavi's The Church, terrible!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Surge92, Feb 1, 2001.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

aaaaahhhhhh! punctuation please! you're making my brain hurt! :lol:

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

no "sorry" about it! I liked it too! some great cinematography and set design, if i remember correctly. it has been a while, but i remember liking it a lot. more than stagefright, i think.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I agree with the - what - 55% majority here. This movie is garbage.

Sure, it had a tiny bit of cool atmosphere and a few good images. But- nothing happened after the first 10 minutes. Not a damn thing. People walking around as though in a daze. Shitty special effects. Crude, friggin' stupid dialogue. None of it means anything. And it rips off Rosemary's Baby. Badly. Shot-for-shot. That is SUCH a huge no-no in my book. Everyone who bitches about Psycho '98 is duty-bound to deduct points from this movie for this reason. I also think it looks like shit or like some stupid Italian Indiana Jones flick. But, like with Don't Look Now, I admit a slight bias against movies in ugly places. It's a little too easy to say: movie is great because that place is so oppressive / unpleasant feeling. Yeah, it is. So what? Any movie shot here would have been.

But, if it means anything, I really liked the first 10 minutes.

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

The Church rips off Rosemary´s Baby??? That´s a first.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I assume he's referring to the satan-sex scene.

Just watched it again tonight, and while i understand where people who think its slow are coming from, i really like it. the way he films the cathedral, and the catacombs below, as well as some of the external cityscapes, is really breathtaking. The movie really is all about the atmosphere.

6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

You hit the right spot there. The movie gives us a very atmospheric horror.

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Oh come on now DF9, you know that that scene is a reference. You may dislike the film, and you have every right to, but reference is one thing and theft is another. You are exaggerating - and I am sure you know that yourself. You left your dislike for the film take the better of you. Michele Soavi is a cinephile and his films are filled to the brim with references to other movies he adores. Of course it is shot for shot! He wants us to remember Rosemary's Baby! Just like Tim Burton wants us to remember Black Sabbath in Sleepy Hollow (when Johnny Depp discovers his mother's body).

As for me, the beauty of La Chiesa lies in exactly what you hate: I see the film as a wonderful patchwork, a collage of images and scenes that have to do with very different styles and emotions. I also like the strangely optimistic finale. It is an ambivilent film, surely not one of the best of it's era, but has a charm of its own.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Michele Soavi's The Church, terribly great!