Midnight Meat Train

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mattster, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Mattster

Mattster Guest

2. killit

killit Active Member

that looks really cool. Honestly, when I heard about this, I thought it was another Barker pipedream.

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Cool! Ryuhei Kitamura directed it... interesting...

4. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Definitely a must see. I love the story and by the preview the movie looks pretty faithful.

5. Luna

Luna Guest

This one's been in the back of my mind for a while now. I was intrigued by the poster art I saw quite a while ago and I'd love to check this out once it's available.

6. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

This is one of my favorites from the Books of Blood. I heard this was being made but had no idea that Kitamura was directing it. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

7. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Looks awesome!

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

This is to open in limited release this weekend. However, looks like Lionsgate has dumped this directly to the dollar theaters!! Someone there must really dislike Clive Barker and company. I noticed my local $1 theater is playing this as well (though not listed below). So you all may want to check your local listings in case its in your area.

From bloody-disgusting.com:

I've been sitting in the back seat watching the stories unfold regarding Lionsgate vs. Clive Barker about his film The Midnight Meat Train. We reported awhile back that the film was slated to open in limited theaters on August 1st, which is all fine and dandy, until I found out that the film is opening in dollar theaters... yeah, $1 theaters. "They're dumping it at mostly dollar theaters (the second run theaters, so it'll make even LESS money)," writes B-D reader Brian W. (one of a handful who wrote in). "It's playing at a Dollar Theater in Norwalk and Oklahoma and Idaho. Check MovieTickets.com if you don't believe me. " The question is, why does Lionsgate want the movie to make less money than it would normally in limited theaters? I'm going to investigate this further as something seems off. B-D readers are encouraged to report their findings below, good or bad. Note: Theater listings now inside...

Temeku Discount Cinema (Temecula,CA)
    Cinemark Movies 10 (Cathedral City,CA)
    La Mirada Dollar Movie 7 (La Mirada,CA)
    Cinemark Movies 12 Lancaster (Lancaster,CA)
    Bell Canyon Pavilions 8 (Phoenix,AZ)
    Superstition Mall (Mesa,AZ)
    Cinemark Movies 8 (Provo,UT)
    Cinemark Valley Fair 9 (West Valley City,UT)
    Cinemark Movies West 8 Cinema (Albuquerque,NM)
    Cinemark Sugar House 10 (Salt Lake City,UT)
    Cinemark Movies 8 Theatre (Albuquerque,NM)
    East Pointe Movies 12 (El Paso,TX)
    Cinemark Movies 12 (Springfield,OR)
    Westgate Mall Cinema 6 (Amarillo,TX)
    Gateway Movies 8 (Federal Way,WA)
    Cinemark Movies 12 (Laredo,TX)
    Cinemark Movies 16 (San Antonio,TX)
    Northpark 7 (Oklahoma City,OK)
    Robinson Crossing 8 (Norman,OK)
    Crossroads Movies 8 (Oklahoma City,OK)
    Cinemark Round Rock-Discount Movies 8 (Round Rock,TX)
    Cinemark Movies 8 (North Richland Hills,TX)
    Palace Theatre West (Wichita,KS)
    Starplex Irving Cinema 10 (Irving,TX)
    Movies 8 (Lewisville,TX)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. CUBANmix

CUBANmix Guest

im in miami the best city in the world,and its playing 4 hours away from me in orlando..dammit i knew i shouldve gone to disney this weekend!

10. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

It's playing about 10 minutes from me, might go see it this afternoon since I'm sure it won't last in the theater for too long.

11. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

It's playing at a Cinemark near me, but I'd have to wear a bullet proof vest. No movie is worth getting mugged or shot at! Please reply back with some reviews.

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's playing here in Orlando, however the dollar theaters here are actually $2, not $1. I probably wont go see it since Lionsgate gave up on it. I don't think my 2 bucks will really matter.

13. jefff

jefff Guest

I saw the movie in the theater today (at a discount 2nd run theater for the pricely sum of $2), and I enjoyed it a lot. It's well-made, cynical, and brutally violent. I'm a huge Barker fan and I love the story, and the movie was a pretty faithful adaptation of it. The director brought much style to the film, and while there is a decent bit of "shakey" style camera work, it's not overdone and it's balanced nicely within the context of the film. The acting was very good all around, and the special effects were very well done. There is a mixture of CGI and practical makeup effects, and while the CGI wasn't that great (I'm personally not a fan of CGI to begin with), it wasn't too distracting, and it was well balanced with the prosthetic effects. The kill scenes in this movie are very brutal, and for an R rated film, they got away with a lot. They were all very well executed, and the style was in some places almost comic book like (in the exectution of the violence), and in other places very realistic and disturbing. There were some incredibly creative camera angles used throughout the film, especially during a couple of the very memorable death scenes. I was quite impressed with the cinemaphotography as well, the film had a very dark and grainy look and was very atmospheric. The ending was also very well done, and without spoiling anything here, if you are familiar with the story, it is fleshed out faithfully and creatively.

It's not the greatest Clive Barker adaption (those would be Hellraiser, Lord Of Illusions and Candyman), but it's still a solid and stylish horror film that is refreshingly violent and nihilistic in the context of today's modern age of horror movies. For Barker fans, it's well worth seeing, and if it's playing anywhere near you, it's well worth the $2 to see it on the big screen.

14. Spit

Spit Active Member

I can't beleve that this is coming to el paso! Thats only like 30mins from here. I've recently started reading barkers work and was pretty bummed when this wasn't going to get a full release. I will be checking it out tomorow.

15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Caught it this afternoon. I agree with Jefff's comments, it's a shame this won't get the exposure it deserves. Though I can see why some might think casual audiences wouldn't be interested. Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's not playing within hundreds of miles of me.Lionsgate sucks.

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I have to agree that Lionsgate sucks big time for dumping this film. It played at a Cinemark dollar theater across the state line in Boardman, Ohio, about 26 miles from me. (I live in PA). I paid $1.25 to see it with my brother.

Both of us really enjoyed this film. It had a nice balance of story mixed with gore, and was fairly entertaining. Not the best Clive Barker adaptation, but a pretty good film, considering the absence of any good horror films in 2008, with the exception of The Strangers.

18. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Just read that the film scored a dismal $313.00 per screen average,three hundred bucks ! Lionsgate's plan to bury this film seems to have worked.I don't know how the film is but it pisses me off that a studio would do this to ANY film that they had a deal to release.Clive Barker has to be livid.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

When you take in account it was $1 per ticket, what did you expect?

At any rate, I saw this film earlier today. I really liked it. I give a B rating. The gore was pretty decent; Raimi's (forgot his first name) cameo death scene was pretty cool. I'm glad the director didn't go too overboard with camera tricks, etc... like he does in some of his films. It's been some years since I read the book, but from what I remembered, the film stayed true to the story, even the ending (unless my memory is off base). At any rate, I do recommend everyone checking this out if you have one of these dollar theaters around. I do plan on picking up the DVD when it gets released.

20. Spit

Spit Active Member

Checked this one out last weekend and it was honestly pretty good. No worse then a lot of horror films that get regular theater play. I'd say it was on par with 'The Ruins', 'The Strangers' and 'One Missed Call'. Its a shame they are burying this one, I think it could have stood on it own.

I wasn't wild about the CGI in the beginning when the eye popped out. It looked pretty 'direct to video' to me. Maybe they had already given up on this film before they got around to putting the CGI in.
    An what was up with the sex scene? Was it suppose to be non-hot? Seriously it looked like neither of the participants were enjoying themselves. It had a hot set up, over the counter and all...but when they got right down too it, I was just confused. Were they trying to portray more about the characters moods? Was the lead dude just to fucked up from stalking the butcher to screw right? Or was that just a case of bad acting?

Oh, and the theater that I saw this at wasn't on the list given in a previous post. So if you wanna check this out you might want to look at the theater listings in your area even if a 'theater near you' wasn't mentioned in the post.