Midnight Meat Train

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mattster, Sep 27, 2007.

1. neversummer

neversummer New Member

The man behind the myth feature was great, I haven't seen a Barker interview in years, how did his voice get so horribly rough?

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I rented this last night, and came away with a pretty "meh" feeling. It did not suck, but there was nothing there to really recommend either. Something like this would have made a better Masters of Horror-type hour long episode, there was not enough material to sustain a 100 minute movie.

The end fight seemed to go on foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvver, and when I saw it was done by the same guy who made Versus, it all made sense

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ha. I just went, "Oh shit is that the guy? Maybe I won't buy it after all." Which is a near repeat of our Tokyo Gore Police discussion. The 10-hour long ending of Versus is what really sunk that film for me, so that's a big negative for Midnight Meat.

Overall what I've read has been positive enough about Midnight Meat but I already own and need to watch Azumi before I risk another Kitamura venture.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

:lol:

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have to agree with you Paff. I rented it last week, and I can truly say that I'm glad I didn't blind buy it. I'm a big fan of Clive Barker and his written works, but this was average...at best. It seemed overly long, and just plain boring in many areas of the film. Did it suck? No, but I can't see myself wanting to revisit the film.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. JBPumpkin

JBPumpkin New Member

I finally took the plunge and rented this last week. Although the studio's treatment of it was incredibly shoddy, I can't say that it was entirely unwarranted.

I've always been a fan of Barker's, but this movie left me cold. In addition to some of the flaws mentioned above (the unexplained chest fungus, the "out of nowhere" sex scene, etc.) here's what really bugged me... and I apologize if I don't articulate it well.

The whole plot is put into motion when Brooke Shields tells the main guy that his work is "not gritty, and doesn't capture reality" (or something along those lines). The movie then betrays its own premise with an over-reliance on some of the most inept, least realistic CGI in recent memory.

And, unless I missed something, what are the chances that the main guy and his girlfriend would end up speaking with the same detective during their seperate visits? Is she the only one working in that district? Also... I get how the girlfriend and that other dude knew which hotel the killer was at. But how did they know the specific room?

Yeah... there were some serious flaws in this. Or I just disconnected with it pretty early on, and missed some clarifying dialogue.

8. rot

rot New Member

SPOILER

I thought it was OK overall, but then that silly ending with the monsters and all that. Wow, that was really stupid.

9. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

If you read the short story rot, it makes sense and fits beautifully well.

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It may fit in the short story, but this film was such a mess to begin with that nothing would have made sense in the end.

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Is that in Books of Blood? I swear I read the first book, but I don't remember that story.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Exactly!

I wouldn't say the film was absolutely terrible, but it was certainly a huge disappointing mess. I can now see why this wasn't given a wide theatrical release.

13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

This was one of my favorite short stories from Barker and was pumped when I read this was being made into a feature film. It stays fairly true to Barker's original story, but leaves out ALOT about the creatures, which I think they had to do with their limited budget. I can see, though, why people were like "WTF?" when the creatures showed up, but there was so much more to their story they left out, which really makes them an interesting concept and monster.

All in all, I was able to suspend disbelief allowing me not to worry much about the plot holes, and enjoyed the movie. I thought it was beautifully shot (especially for a horror/gore film) and really loved "Mahogany's" character.

14. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Yep, its in the first one. I think its actually the second story in the book. If I recall, its just after the introduction story that sets up the entire mythology and setting for the rest of the books of blood.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I actually really really liked The Midnight Meat Train. I've never read the short story, so I can't comment on the adaptation, but I enjoyed the slow-burn, yet extremely brutal and visceral journey it took me on. I haven't been shocked by onscreen violence in a long time, but some of the brutality on display here had me wincing.

16. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

This is a solid movie. Is it one of my favorite Barker adaptations? In spite of the slasher-centric arc, probably not. There's a little too much silliness. Its very enjoyable though. To say it isn't on par with Candyman should not be seen as a slight.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Gave this a re-watch last night. I liked it the first time but it really improved for me second time around. I really took note of the wonderful cinematography and the dark, bleak tone really worked for me. It got a bit cooky towards the end but overall I thought it was great.

18. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

I really hate the director for this one. The CGI gore was about the stupidest I've seen since American Werewolf in Paris. It's one of Clive Barker's more solid stories and this movie should have been a lot better. Bradley Cooper is a champ and I must say he did a great job despite the hacky script and ungodly poor direction. These fucking directors get a hard-on for that "really cool scene" at the expense of telling a story. "Story?! Aww, fuck that shit! Let's have some flying eyeballs!".

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The eyeball scene didn't work for me either but that was pretty much at the start of the film. Other then that what other scenes bothered you?

20. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

The fast motion subway scene with mahagony just sitting there. The other kill in the beginning where the asian chick's head spins off, CGI crap. The other "Hey let's shoot POV from that rolling head!". The "bullet cam" as it is fired from the gun and through the guy's head... ad nauseum.

crap... crap... crap...

A movie should tell a story (and in this case a really good one). It's not a music video. This kind of directing does have it's place (300 comes to mind). But it frankly, does a good story a disservice.

Also, CGI gore is like a fake cumshot... fucking lame!