Midnite Movies at Best Buy... What a hassle!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by maybrick, Aug 24, 2004.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I drove over an hour to the closest Best Buy to pick up the new Midnite Movie releases and they only had 5 of the 15 double feature discs out. I had to poke and prod the people who worked there about them. Almost no one knew a thing, fortunately one person remembered seeing a box out back filled with them. These are Best Buy exclusives and they weren't even planning on putting the bulk of them out on the shelves! If I didn't point out to them that they were listed in the latest flier, the employee I talked to wouldn't have even bothered asking anyone about them. They brought out the box, I rifled through them, and then they took it away, presumably to the stock room again. Good grief! :rolleyes:

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I used to buy most of my DVDs at Best Buy, but lately I've been going there alot less often. Most of my purchases now are at Borders and Media Play for the brick and mortar shopping. I have however also increased my online purchase of DVDs ever since I've been region free. I still like Best Buy's prices, but their selection seems to be getting stale compared to the competition.

3. maybrick

But these new Midnite Movie releases are "Best Buy exclusives". Good luck finding them at Borders or Media Play!

4. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

why are these discs BB exclusives again?

5. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i think best buy has potential but their stupid ignorant employees are costing them the number one spot. i always go on release day and some idiot is trying to make me feel stupid like i don't know the correct release date of dvds or something.

this one time i was asking a guy to look up a title that should have been on the shelves. it was walt disneys treasures. he sighed about 5 times while clicking his way through multiple pages and another employee walked up and asked him what he was looking for and he said, "i don't know, some treasure chest movie"

i wanted to punch his head off. i went across the street and bought my tins at borders for 5 bucks more each.

6. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Last week I went to BB to buy Duel, and I heard they were selling Before Sunrise for $5.99. I asked the girl if they had any copies and she said "Nope"; without even looking on her computer. So I went to someone else: "Do you have a movie called Before Sunrise for sale?" and he goes "Oh, someone asked for that earlier...lemme check" and he disapears. I am looking all over for this guy and 10 minutes later while I'm browsing I see him I asked him if he had any in stock and he goes "what were you looking for again?". Dumb bastard. I found them (in the wrong place), but they were $9.99, and I didn't bother. :rolleyes:

7. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

my BB is pretty good. they actually have some employees who actually try to help you out. if I'm looking for a movie someone will usually walk up and ask me what I'm looking for and jump right in to help. if they don't find it within a minute or 2 they hit the computer to see where its at. if its in the back in a box they bring the box out and let me take what I want and then empty it on one of those carts until they make shelf space for them.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Well out of 5 best buys within a 45 minute redius here they never seem to stock their shelves very good.It seems once a release has sold out thats it.They never restock.And their horror selection is weak.

9. hal9k

hal9k Guest

15? I thought they were 14, could someone list them all?

Thanks.

10. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I think they just added Strange Invaders/ Invaders from Mars at the last minute.

11. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

If anyone in Canada is interested, these new "Midnight Movies Double Features" can be found at A&B Sound.

12. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

The thing with Best Buy (or any store like it for that matter) is that all the sales people are pimply faced teenagers who don't give a crap about doing any sort of work. If they have to look something up, forget it! They're only there to make a couple bucks so they can buy beer on the weekend.

At least that's how it is here in Canada.

Next time, go right to the manager and cause shit. They'll be sure to make you happy!

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've had good luck with people at the Best Buy in my area, I guess it's because we have a big enough population some movie fans do get the positions.

Anybody know if the $9.99 is the street price or just the opening week price at Best Buy? I don't want to walk in there and spend over $150 in one lump sum.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Ain't no shame in that. :p

But anywho, I do agree that their selection is getting worse. Maybe it's because i've bought most of the stuff I've really wanted. I don't know, all I know is that their selection gets less interesting with each passing month. The service at mine has always been good, all the employees are more than eager to help you. Hell, sometimes the fuckers start to annoy me by how many times they ask me if I need help. Hopefully they'll start stocking up the good shit again.

15. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

hiring more competent employees means raising prices. its a tradeoff

16. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Best Buy? Hassle?

You don't say...

17. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I couldn't find half the ones I wanted. Best Buy has certainly declined it's performance in my eyes in the past year or so. What is worse is they have adopted the Media Play philosophy where they want to sell you Reward Zone Cards, magazines, and other shit at the checkout. That annoys the piss out of me. 8 free issues my ass...

18. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i paid 10 bucks for my reward zone cardand in the last 6 months they have sent me 180 best buy bucks. the magazine sales are a pain in the ass though.

19. maybrick

Speaking of that, I said that 5 of the new Midnite movies were on the shelves, right? Well, in the horror section was INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES/BEE GIRLS (should have been in SCI-FI) and GHOST OF DRAGSTRIP HOLLOW/INVISIBLE BIKINI (should be in comedy). The other three were in the comedy section. Not a single one was placed correctly. I almost left without THE NIGHT STALKER/NIGHT STRANGLER, but at the last second I decided to check in the drama section. Sure enough, that's where it was. What is it with this place?

20. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I shop at Best Buy...

But only online.

No staff. No parking hassles. No magazine sales. No problem.