Midnite Movies at Best Buy... What a hassle!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by maybrick, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

My Best Buy had a ton of the Midnight Movies in stock. They usually do a crap job with the horror section. I got Wild in the Streets/GAS-S-S-S! and Invasion of the Bee Girls.

2. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

as an employee of BB, i think i can explain some of the discrepancies about these releases. the reason why these were found in "the wrong" places is because the people who categorize the movies at whatever warehouse probably never saw a minute of them. they make basic guesses as to where a film should be categorized and are frequently wrong. ex: for a long time final destination 1 was in scifi but final destination 2 was in horror. and it seems many live action japanese movies get put in anime only because they are released by A.D.Vision and they assume its anime. They just dont have a clue at what they are doing, but the employees at the store dont decide where the product goes. They are told to put it where the sticker says.
    I cant defend the bad service many experience. It's probably a result of ignorant teenagers getting summer jobs at BB. If not every release is on the floor on time, its most likely because an idiot manager scheduled 1 person to put out all dvd and cds releases before the store opens. (roughly 100 boxes of product within 2 hours, plus the "feature wall" planograms and stupid new release tables.) i know that today 8/24 was a large dvd AND cd release day which is rare, usually its one or the other. there were numerous high profile new release cds:R. kelly, Mase, Young buck, etc. I work every tuesday morning and even with the 2 hours time given, I barely can get everything out before 10.00 and im probably the fastest worker there.
    in conclusion, though many "hassles" may have been encountered today , i believe most horror lovers should just be thankful that a giant evil corporation like BB actually took somewhat of an interest in our favorite genre.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I bought three of the new Midnight Movies earlier yesterday. They had about 13 or 14 different ones on the shelf, and about 2 or 3 of each one in stock. They were all in the horror/sci-fi DVD shelf section. I already had 6 or 7 movies as the single DVD's, so I didn't need those.

As for Best Buy... I love the stores, but mine has a big problem with not getting products on the shelves on the release day! I go there on Tuesday afternoons usually and can't find many DVD's which their website says are in stock at my store. I ask an employee, they go back into the stock room...and there they are, still sitting waiting to be carried to the shelves.

4. Final Terror

Final Terror Guest

Anywhere online selling them apart from Best Buy (who don't ship to the bloomin UK)?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

So can someone tell me if any of these are Anamorphic?

6. Katatonia

Some are and some aren't. It really depends if any of the movies had a prior Single-DVD release and whether or not that was anamorphic or not. All the new movies on the double features, which didn't have a previous release appear to be anamorphic.

7. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

My local best buy has definitely shrunk their horror section within the last few months. It is about half the size it was before. the selection is also poor. There are about 25 copies of Darkness Falls still on the shelf, but I was lucky to find one of the Mangler.

8. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Yeah, I've noticed the horror section going WAY down hill in recent months. There's a lot of empty space on the shelves, it's hard to find anything that was released more than a couple of months ago, and there's a lot of garbage there, too. Lots of stuff from those little schlocky labels, and very little of anything "good."

9. Katatonia

Same thing at my local Best Buy. The horror/sci-fi section has become progressively smaller and sometimes they just don't get in the new titles you'd think they would...instead they get crappy titles hardly anyone has heard of, or really wants.

10. My local Best Buy has gotten horrible. I used to go there every weekend and buy DVD's. Now it's getting to the point where I'll buy the DVD's online. I went there the other day to get Night of the Demons, Witchboard, and Highwaymen. They acted like I didn't know what I was talking about with Night of the Demons and told me that only part 2 was out. I was like what the fuck, it's the first one. I ended up just ordering Night of the Demons from Amazon.

As for the horror section, it has declined a lot as well. They used to have so much, and they would put the DVD's out the day they came out, sometimes early. Lately, they don't put them out for a week or two after street date. And the Horror section is filled with Lord of the Rings movies, Matrix Movies, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

11. The Joker

The Joker Guest

I know that many have said that if a movie is not on the shelves, they'll ask an employee who will go in the back and get the box.....seems that whenever I do this, I always get the same reply, which I have come to hate with the raging passion of a million burning suns, and that is...."anything we have is already out"

what a hot wet steaming crock of bullshit....that response is code for: "I'm too lazy to go in the back and look, plus I'm going on my lunch hour in 5 minutes".

I like BB personally, but I've found myself in there less and less. As someone stated earlier, I believe if BB or any store like it had people like us as employees, they would see a rapid increase in their dvd sales, because we would actually try to help the customer find the movie they wanted. The reason for this is: we all know how it feels to be in search of a title :)