Midsommar (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Mar 4, 2019.

1. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I enjoyed the film but have a similar reaction as I had to Hereditary - too long and slightly pretentious. Quite funny and really not that scary or disturbing. It's an arthouse version of Wicker Man which is vastly superior and the movie includes a reference to the Wicker Man remake that almost has to be intentional. I enjoyed the cultural commentary on Americans abroad.

I also found it strange that the form of this film is almost exactly the same form as Hereditary.

2. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I really liked this. And definitely liked this more than Hereditary, which i felt was a bit of a letdown. They definitely are in the same family. What Hereditary was to Rosemary's Baby, this is to Wicker Man. However, I found the characters a lot more engaging (and funny) with this one. The "grief" aspect was handled a lot more poetically this time around - the scene with the women breathing/crying together was wonderfully painful, creepy and tender at the same time. Like Hereditary, it really does have no surprises in the plot, but this one had more surprises in the way it used the Wicker Man pattern to explore the character's emotions. And, like Wicker Man, it's never really "scary" but it does have that unease that sits with you throughout the experience, and possibly afterwards. And, wow, is this a beautifully shot film. Compared to modern films, yeah, it probably drags. But, I was always entranced by the imagery whenever it seemed like the plot was slowing, so I still never felt bored or restless. (oddly, i watched Godzilla the following day and felt it was so plodding that I was fidgeting every couple of minutes)

The only compliant I think I had was that the visual effects for the drug sequences were used too much and became quite distracting at a key scene late in the film. Though they were quite well done in earlier portions. And, there was a bit of confusion about some of the history/logistics of the ritual. One of the characters says in the beginning that this is only performed every 90 years, yet we see photos of about 20 of the previous rituals Midsommar Queens. So, that didn't quite make sense.

But, overall this was really enjoyable. It's tough to recommend as the pacing and lack of traditional horror will likely make this a dull slog for some people. But, I'd definitely recommend this to fans of the original Wicker Man. Fans of Tarkovsky may also want to take a look as a lot of the camera work seemed similar. So, if you're looking to scratch that Nostalghia or Mirror itch, this may tide you over.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I watched this on the weekend finally. I was very interested to check this out as I loved Hereditary. Before even watching this I could see similarities to The Wickerman and I felt like it was pretty obvious what was going to happen from the start. Like others I did't really feel the runtime but though it probably could have been trimmed here and there. I did have a few toilet breaks in between but never felt fidgety through it. Like Anaestheus mentioned I found the new Godzilla almost impossible to sit through.

There's definitely some similarities to Hereditary. The movie basically starts with a scene of loss that's very similar to one that plays out in that film. Some of the stuff near the end in the yellow triangle house reminded me of Hereditary too. I do really like the look of Ari Aster's films though. This one looked very beautiful. One of the scenes has the camera turn upside-down and it was hypnotic. Good stuff.

I didn't get the dark comedy vibes some others mentioned. Seemed pretty real to life for the most part to me. There was definitely some odd scenes I guess that could be seen as funny but those were how these people dealt with their grief, together as a family.

I also just wanted to mention the cliff scene. That was awesomely graphic. One of the top moments here for sure.

Now does anyone know what the differences are with this director's cut that's making its rounds? I'm curious.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Myron Breck likes this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

That was what I hated about seeing it in a theatre--all of the immature tittering and "ewww, naked ugly people" moments. I'm looking forward to checking it out at home.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I decided to ruminate on this one a while instead of commenting right away. It's a well made flick, and beautifully shot with some truly memorable images--but it's extremely shallow. There's only 1 real fleshed-out character, which makes the ending incredibly predictable.
    The theme of the movie is spelled out in a ridiculously juvenile way when Pelle discusses family and loss with Dani in the sleeping quarters. After that, it was totally clear to me that the film would end with Dani choosing to stay with the cult. That made me correctly anticipate the fate of all of them, down to the shot of Dani smiling and leaving the past behind. Sadly, expecting most of what was going to transpire didn't really hurt the rest of the film much. All of the characters except Dani are cyphers, mostly unlikable. I wanted to see them die, and didn't feel any suspense because of the thematic obviousness. I'd also say that it defies logic to make a 2.5-hour horror movie that has so much superfluous material. Did anyone really care about the silly thesis subplot? Or the English couple that serve no real purpose aside from expanding the victim pool?

The Wicker Man covers very similar ground much more expediently, with less filler material, better focus, and more memorable performances. The acting in Midsommar is credible across the board, but none of the characters stick with you the way Sgt. Howie, Willow McGregor, or especially Lord Summerisle do.

This one would be easy to recommend at 90 minutes, much less so at 150. There are a few truly memorable moments that have already been rightfully praised here, you don't get a whole lot for your 2.5-hour commitment. That said, I definitely see Aster's potential, and look forward to checking out Hereditary.

6. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I'm guessing that the scope of the annual ritual is what he was talking about. If they involved outsiders every year they'd probably run into a bit of trouble with the law.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have to wonder what the thinking was behind the U.S. blu-ray release to only release the theatrical cut. Perhaps they hope to get some double dippers by releasing the director's cut down the road. You can pick up the UK blu which features both versions for the same price as the U.S. release. Also Germany has a blu-ray with both versions.

Myron Breck and Horrorphilly like this.
  8. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I bought the US Blu, hastily because i just wanted to watch it again.I regret it and wish I bought the UK disc with both versions, if be happy if they gave the people who bought the US Blu, a digital download of the Directors Cut .

9. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Thanks for the heads-up. I was just about to pick up the U.S. release.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just blind bought the French 4K Blu-ray (which has the Theatrical and Director's Cut on seperate blu-ray's as well). I can't wait to watch it whenever I can get some time off work.

Zombie Dude likes this.