Mirrors

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

A Dream Team matchup....

From Variety:

Sutherland to Star in 'Mirrors'

Thesp will spend '24' hiatus toplining thriller

By Michael Fleming

Kiefer Sutherland will spend his "24" hiatus starring in "Mirrors," a supernatural thriller to be directed by Alexandre Aja.

New Regency is financing and will distribute through 20th Century Fox.

Sutherland became available to star in the movie when plans to carry his Jack Bauer character into a "24" feature were postponed because the script wasn't ready. Fox won't start the clock on that pic until next summer, when Sutherland completes the seventh season of the show.

Sutherland last year pacted to exec produce and star in the series through season eight, in a deal worth north of $40 million.

In "Mirrors," Sutherland will play an ex-cop who works security at a mall and discovers something awry in the mirrors of a department store. He tries to discover the origin of the evil.

Producers are Marc Sternberg, Alexandra Milchan and Gregory Levasseur. Andrew Hong is exec producer.

Aja, who last directed the hit genre remake "The Hills Have Eyes," wrote the most recent draft of the script.

Sutherland finishes season six of "24" in April and begins shooting "Mirrors" on May 1, mostly in Romania. He wraps in mid-July and then goes right back to the series in late July.

Sutherland's last feature was "The Sentinel."

Yes, it's apparently another remake from an asian film but, given the principles involved, I can't imagine passing this one by on opening day.

IMDB

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. Luna

Luna Guest

Ooh, this sounds interesting.

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Hmmm, I don't know. Mirrors are so five minutes ago. And malls? Have they ever been in? Except for maybe in Dawn of the Dead? I don't know. This sounds rather lame to me. Or maybe it's just how that above sentence is written that makes it sound lame. I'm gonna need a trailer or something to convince me, even with Aja directing.

4. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

1. Aja directing.. check
    2. Horror movie in a mall.. check
    3. Sutherland yelling and brandishing a firearm.. check

Where do I buy tickets?

PS A quick interview with Aja on the movie.

PSS An interesting interview with Sutherland here, with some mild spoilers.

PSSS Dont all three of these links seem to be almost for different movies? Oh well, they all look good to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Hmm, that trailer looked pretty good. I'll definitely check it out.

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Thanks for that. Promising stuff, much more exciting than the trailer itself.

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It kind of looks like the ending will be lame but the build up will be cool. At least that's what I'm getting from the trailer/interview.

Oh well, it's an Aja movie so I'm sure I'll see it.

9. I'll go see it.

10. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

It kinda reminded me of this series....but way better.

[​IMG]

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah trailer didn't blow me away, but the interviews make it sound quite promising. I'll be there opening day as I have loved everything Aja has done so far.

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The red band trailer hit today, and I think it looks really good.

I cannot say the same for the poster however it looks just horrible. Lets hope that is a teaser and is quickly replaced.

13. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I'll watch anything with Kiefer Sutherland, he's just astounding whatever he does in front of a camera, some power and magic there.

It's cool to see him in a film like this.

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Cool trailer. I think this is gonna be a nice little tale of hauntings.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

I was pretty underwhelmed with the trailer - it just looked like the same ol' same ol'. I actually didn't know until I stumbled onto a link to the film later that Aja was behind it. But it just looks so...banal. This is the same guy who brought us High Tension, right?

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'll be checking this out Tomorrow. The original trailer did look ho hum but the fact that it's rated R , Aja is Directing and it has an initial imdb rating of 7.9 (be it after only 229 votes) is starting to give me faith. it's about time we see a ghost film that's not geared towards teenage girls.

17. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I've long since given up on judging a film by it's trailer, they're often shot/edited to intentionally be misleading...I wasn't a huge fan of THHE remake, but I do love me some High Tension so I'll probably catch this on a matinee...I'm sure it will be decent.

18. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I just saw it, it was decent. Wasn't a big fan of the third act cheese and "wtf?" plotting, but it was worthwhile. There's a few really nice gore sequences in there as well.

19. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I watched this last night and, although it is definitely Aja's weakest film, I still liked it. Sutherland gives a great performance and Amy Smart, Paula Patton and Jason Flemyng (in a small role) also give solid performances. Aja's visual style is spot on again, with beautiful art design on the burnt out department store. The film works really well for the first half, with some seriously creepy moments involving Sutherland seeing horrific images in the mirrors. Sadly, it eventually devolves into your standard, cliched "figure out the past to defeat the present" Ring style storyline. Still, Aja's direction and Sutherland's performance help elevate these admittedly tired scenes to a level above the other J-horror inspired crap we've sat through over the last few years. Also, although there are a few scenes of outrageous gore, the film isn't as gory as you'd expect, once again relying more on the mystery and Sutherland's mental deteriation. One thing I did enjoy was

that they didn't tell you anything about the demon that was infecting the mirror world. You know how it got there but nothing about the demon itself, except that it sucks souls. That was refreshing.

Overall, I would recommend it but it's nothing particularly special or new. Some may prefer to just wait for rental but I had a good enough time at the theatre to recommend it. The talent in front of and behind the camera all bring their A-game. It's the script, by Aja and partner-in-crime Grégory Levasseur, that disappoints.

20. 19VOORHEES83

19VOORHEES83 New Member

I just saw it earlier today and i definitely would see it again.