Modern Day Classics

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I know most agree that there hasn't been many if any recent film that can stand shoulder to shoulder with Classics of the 70's and 80's such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead and so on. I was wondering if there are any films made in say the last 10 years that you personally consider a Modern Day classic that deserves to be placed on a horror pedestal along side the Giants of Horror.

Me personally although many hate it and that's OK, is The Blair Witch Project i truly think that it will be one day regarded as a genre classic. I thought it was so fresh and different, up there with anything that has come along before or since. When i first saw it at a midnight screening in 1999 it tapped into my primal fear like no movie had since i was a kid, and no film has since. I remember that night i actually had to double check my doors, because i don't know "The Blair witch was gonna get me" It was implanting that kind of irrational fear that makes it for me one of the Scariest films of all time. Sure like every horror film it's not "as" scary with repeated viewings but i can still appreciate the realism of the acting and when I'm in the right state of mind it can still give my chills.

Anyone else have a recent film that they regard as being up there with the greats?

2. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I think Guillermo Del Toro hit the spot right on the mark with both Cronos and The Devil's Backbone!

3. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Last ten years? hmmm....

None.

I mean there has been some good movies in that time but I don't consider any of them classics.

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I admit I haven't seen a lot of modern horror movies but of the ones I have seen (including Blair Witch) maybe only Frailty comes to mind as someday being note worthy. Definately not a classic though.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I've never really got into Cronos but I appreciate the concept. On the other had The Devil's Backbone I feel is very under appreciated

7. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

Scream.

Yeah, OK, flame me at will, but it returned Horror to mainstream. Classic slasher type flick, few nice twists, and the touches of humor. You may not like it, but without Scream proving to Hollyweird that Horror can make money, I would bet we never would have seen SAW, The Ring, or any other horror in the last decade.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

May for me is another one that comes close. Great film that gets better every time you watch it.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I love The Blair Witch Project, but it will never become a "classic" due to the hype machine that surrounded it. It will always have a William Castle-type reputation. Not that that's a bad thing of course, but the movie itself will never be allowed to stand on it's own.

The one movie that I think will develop more and more respect over time is A Tale of Two Sisters. The look and feel of the film will age quite well, as opposed to many of today's movies which look just fine now, but will become extremely dated in a matter of years.

A Tale of Two Sisters is easily the best horror film of the new millenium.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

A Tale of Two Sisters is a great movie but it's tough for Foreign Language films to break though as a time tested classic. Simply by the fact that allot of people are to lazy to watch them. The only foreign Language Film (and i don't mean ones that have always been shown in it's dubbed form for years like Suspiria) to be regarded as a classic is possibly Diabolique and a couple of others like Eyes without a face but even those are often overlooked because there subtitled. It is Unfortunate.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I Would Have To Say Frailty,wrong Turn,scream

12. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I agree with wgdavis. Scream popped into my head right away. It led to the surge in horror and although we are now only getting pg-13 movies scream re-opened the horror door.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I agree with Scream. For better or worse, it ushered in a new age of horror. Also, it is quite good on its own merits. The mask and the opening sequence of that movie seem to already be seen as iconic. Donnie Darko also comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005
  14. I would like to think Ginger Snaps will be considered a classic someday.

15. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

No, there really haven't been. There have been good movies here and there, but none I would consider a classic. I was really high on the DAWN remake for a while, but it just didn't stand up over repeated viewings. I think I was just such a zombie fanatic that I was delirious with the idea of zombies causing mayhem in a modern setting. I still think the movie is good, but not great.

There are some that are historically important for ushering in a new trend or being incredibly popular, but that's not the same as being a classic. That's where I would put movies like BLAIR WITCH, SCREAM, and THE SIXTH SENSE.

I think the problem is that almost all of the movies are basically riffing on older, better films. And I won't complain too much--there are still a lot of good movies being made, and it's a much better decade than the 90s, for instance. But no classics. It's a problem with movies in general, not just horror.

I think for classic status, a movie has to have a lot of mainstream success too, or at least be on the public's radar screen--that would eliminate a lot of the foreign films and movies like Ginger Snaps which most people didn't see in theaters. Cult classics, maybe, but not something that most people will remember 20 years from now.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  16. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Reflections of Evil is the best damn thing to come out of the last 30 years. The first cut of it, at least.

17. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Horror only? Well, I just saw Oldboy in theatres, and that is definitely up there. Naked Lunch and Shaun of the Dead are great, too.

18. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Dog Soldiers

19. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

I completely agree. When the Dawn remake came out last year I thought it was the greatest horror movie to come out in a loooong time. But after three viewings in the theater and multiple viewings on DVD I can also say that it just dosent hold up. Now the original Dawn, on the other hand, does hold up. I've seen that film thousands of times and it's still as great now and it was on my first viewing. I guess thats just one of the things that make a classic.

20. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

What makes a film a "classic" is so dependent on a number of things......usually the most powerful being the passage of time itself (i.e. nostalgia).

As John Huston said in Chinatown:

"'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, public buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."

The same thing sometimes applies to films. Friday the 13th is by no means a "great" film, but we tend to romanticize it now because it takes us back to a different era...and that isn't a bad thing, per se.

In short, it's tough to predict which films will stand the test of time and have the ability to be rediscovered down the road by new and veteran genre fans.

When I think of the horror films from the modern era so far...and the ones that I think touch on universal themes in ways that will stand-up over the years, I'll go with:

1. A Tale of Two Sisters

2. Identity

3. The Blair Witch Project

4. Frailty

5. Ringu

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005