Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I like Mark of the Devil but I agree that this is a much better film.

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

:D

They posted this on the blu-ray.com forums after someone linked to an ebay UK seller trying to sell LE copies of Spider and The Fox with a Velvet Tail for 60GBP each. Not that I think that this will curb this type of behavior but it is still nice to see!

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I hope they release Lady Terminator in a near future, if there are any usable elements still available.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

FOX & SPIDER UPDATE:

Katatonia likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just received a shipping email from Mondo for The Fox with a Velvet Tail, so it's apparently now shipping. I would assume Spider is now shipping also.

Angelman likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I would think so. Jared said your order does not ship until all items are in stock.

I ordered the Dorado titles too so I've got a long wait apparently. :oops:

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Official blog announcement with more bizarre films on DVD only from the Mediterranean:

New DVD announcement! The Greek Fantastique!
    [​IMG]
    Dimitris Panayiotatos is the only Greek film maker to have specialized in film noir, fantasy and sci-fi. He has produced and directed documentaries, TV series and feature films and has created a consistent and compelling body of work over more than thirty years.

This DVD brings together his 1990 feature film Lovers Beyond Time, as well as an episode of the “Twilight Zone” style TV series Tales of Love and Terror. The disc also includes his 2009 feature length documentary on the history of Greek genre cinema and an interview with the director where he discusses his own career and the difficulties of working in genre cinema in Greece, a country where such productions have always been marginalized.

The disc includes:

LOVERS BEYOND TIME – 1990; Feature film, 80 minutes
    Sylvia and Angelos have an intense relationship. Too intense for Sylvia, who breaks it off. Three years later, with Angelos dead, Sylvia lives with a doctor and works for a record company. Her new life is suddenly invaded by a succession of bizarre events: strange deaths occur around her and she experiences a series of involuntary orgasms, as though a man she can feel but not see is making love to her - in the street, at work, in her car. All of this seems connected in some way with a mysterious musician she is trying to track down, a man who constantly evades her; until one night her phone rings.... With influences ranging from early Cronenberg to Italian erotic thrillers of the 1970s, the film is a journey into the dangerous world of the irrational, where time contracts and expands and where people are at the mercy of natural laws that change suddenly, violently and without warning.

STRANGERS IN A STRANGE LAND – 2009; documentary, 90 minutes
    This ground-breaking and important documentary reveals the hitherto untold story of Greek genre cinema over the last 50 years, dealing with Film Noir, Thrillers, Fantasy films and Sci-Fi. It includes a wealth of interviews with directors, writers and critics and clips from more than 50 films. Very little of the information included here has been available before outside Greece and it will be essential viewing to anyone interested in the wider world of genre cinema.

THE EROTIC, THE FANTASTIC – 2017; interview, 25 minutes
    An interview with director Dimitris Panayiotatos where he talks about his own career, studying film in Paris in the 1970s, writing and publishing books and magazines on sci-fi and fantasy cinema and the difficulties of working in the fantastic genres in a country where comedy is king.

THE LAST MEAL – 1988 – TV episode, 25 minutes
    An episode from a Greek Twilight Zone style TV series called Tales of Love and Terror.

Coming this winter to DVD only! (Sorry, no blu for this one.)

russweiss likes this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

While I love MM I would be more likely to bite if this was a blu release and not just DVD.

Angelman likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Another exclusive from my Cinema Arcana FB page -- I got Pete Tombs to talk about Spanish horror and Mondo Macabro's upcoming Blus!

Continuing their quest to rescue the weirdest and wildest films world cinema has to offer, our pals at Mondo Macabro have announced they’re prepping a trio of Spanish horror essentials for Blu-Ray, showcasing brand new restorations and plenty of worthwhile supplements. I caught up with author / company founder Pete Tombs to find out what makes Spanish shockers, especially these three, so near and dear to his heart.

“Spanish horror has a visceral quality, kind of folksy and raw,” he explains. “You get this in the films of Klimovsky, de Ossorio, Naschy, etc. They seem to relish the gruesome and the grisly and aren't too worried about making it slick, so to speak. That's not to say their films aren't well made, they are—particularly the work of Klimovsky—but they took on the problems of low budgets and quick shooting schedules and made them part of the overall aesthetic without losing the mystery and magic that real horror films must have. In fact, in some ways their approach increased both of those qualities; I can still remember seeing WEREWOLF SHADOW in the cinema for the first time and realizing immediately—within the first few shots—that here was something radically different from the Hammer films I'd grown up with. The logic of "plot" had been done away with and instead we got a concentration on atmosphere and set-pieces that created a kind of surrealistic world that, at its best, was akin to a dream state. So I began to search these films out; they were then appearing at quite a rapid rate on U.K. screens due to the boom in horror production in Spain at the time.”

One such film was Vicente Aranda’s THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE (1972), an undeniable genre masterpiece whose reputation seems steadily on the rise thanks to the increased availability of its complete uncut form after years of heavily-censored editions. An adaptation of Sheridan Le Fanu’s ‘Camilla’, the film finds the titular newlywed growing anxious over her changed status and her husband’s sexually-assertive ways. She becomes obsessed with a family legend detailing a wedding night mariticide, and the arrival of a strange woman may not help the situation. Tombs recalls, “BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE only appeared in the UK at the start of the ‘80s—nearly ten years after it was made—but it instantly became a favorite. Possibly even my favorite of all the Spanish horrors. It’s classically well made, and classically constructed. All the key elements of Gothic horror are there—the mysterious portrait, the beautiful stranger, the ruined chapel in the woods, the blood-filled coffin—but director Aranda ups the blood and shock levels to make his film a real assault on the senses. An almost perfect combination of art house sensibilities and exploitation material, the film is a classic of not just Spanish horror, but of world horror.” Slated to go up for pre-order later this month, Mondo Macabro’s Blu-Ray will debut a beautiful 4K restoration from the original negative, and feature a wealth of extras, including an interview with star Simon Andreu, a critical commentary with Kat Ellinger and Samm Deighan of the Daughters of Darkness Podcast, some previously lost deleted scenes and a never-before-seen alternate ending that, “pretty much changes the story of the film.” I can’t wait.

Another title on their roster is Paul Naschy’s THE DEVIL INCARNATE (aka El caminante, 1979), an outré tale that follows the devil made flesh as he explores life on Earth. According to Pete, “We never got to see this film in the U.K. as it was not dubbed or exported. I only came across it after I'd already seen the bulk of Naschy's work and that was actually fortunate as it turned out to be a key film in his filmography. All the elements people like from his other movies are here—apart from werewolves!—but placed within the context of a very personal message to the world, his view of how low humanity has sunk and the suspicion that perhaps we’ve always been like this. The only advances in civilization have been the increased potential for mass destruction and our facility for lying and duplicity. Okay, so maybe Naschy was in dark place when he made this, but he puts forward a convicting and consistent thesis. Oddly, given its bleak premise, it’s one of his most lusty and enjoyable movies.” Hopefully available for sale in December, THE DEVIL INCARNATE will also feature a fresh 4K scan from its original negative, and bonus features are set to include an interview with co-star David Rocha, a chat with Naschy’s sons Bruno and Sergio, an audio commentary with writer Troy Howarth, and possibly more on the way. An underrated obscurity, belatedly granted a classy release for its domestic disc debut.

Finally, 2018 will find the company issuing Narciso Ibáñez Serrador’s incredible WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (aka Island of the Damned, 1976). When Tom and Evelyn vacation to a small island he remembers from his youth, they begin to suspect something’s very wrong when they’re seemingly unable to locate anyone else. Even worse, they may just be right. Take it away, Pete! “WHO CAN KILL A CHILD is one of the very best of the Spanish horror boom -- a powerful and supremely well-made film that still packs a punch and draws you in every time you watch it. The recent "remake" only serves to underline how great the original is. It's huge tragedy that director Serrador only made two features – the other being the amazing thriller, THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED (1970). We're getting a new 4K scan and color grade, but I can't really say much more at the moment.” Another personal favorite that I’m beyond excited to see get a proper HD bump.

With these three Blus, Mondo Macabro appear to be nailing a true Triple Lindy of the highest order; hopefully sales with warrant further visits to the Iberian Peninsula. Watch this space!

Special thanks to Pete Tombs, Jared Auner and Uwe Huber.

© Bruce Holecheck and Pete Tombs, 2017

[​IMG]

russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd/posts/1730570063702707

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd/posts/1743127885780258

russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's tough because there are two main types: those who can wait, and those who can't. And you can't do one thing that makes them both happy as they're polar opposites.

I would rather place one order and have it ship together (delay be damned) and save a bit on shipping, but I was more than happy to wait it out and at worst place two orders (I suspect I won't want anything form the sale anyways).