Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They didn't say it was a giallo, only that it is "gialloesque".

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    What no girl butt? Hardly feels like a Mondo Macabro Limited Edition without some. o_O

russweiss likes this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16518626&postcount=7798

I'm curious to see what other La Chat Qui Fume titles they'll put up. Whatever they are they'll be awfully tempting...

russweiss likes this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Angelman and russweiss like this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

On Facebook:
    Haine (1980)
    Night of Death (1980)
    The Contract (1971)
    The Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987)

All four are pretty damn tempting... pretty damn tempting...

7. MorallySound

Killer of Dolls LE, Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death LE, and the other La Chat Qui Fume and Dorado titles pre-orders are live: mondomacabro.bigcartel.com

russweiss likes this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Coming soon to Blu-ray from Mondo Macabro! Paul Naschy’s “The Beast and The Magic Sword” (1983)!

Trailer: https://youtu.be/pSCb1Q04F2U

In the 16th Century, the lycanthrope Waldemar Daninsky goes from his native Europe to Japan, seeking a way to cure himself of being a werewolf. Only a Japanese sorcerer named Kian and a magic silver sword can save him.

More info TBA!

https://www.facebook.com/dawnofthediscs/photos/a.595632857446604/903882079955012/?type=3&theater

[​IMG]

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Excellent! I'm always looking to nash my teeth in ever more succulent Naschy!

[​IMG]

satans-sadists and Angelman like this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Sneak peek of the upcoming Mondo Macabro Blu-ray of Paul Naschy’s “The Beast and The Magic Sword!”

russweiss likes this.
  11. MorallySound

YES! Naschy in Japan!

Angelman likes this.
  12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This one is famous because Naschy fought AN ACTUAL TIGER in his werewolf make-up. Excerpt from his autobiography:

"Then came the day of the fight between Wolfman and tiger. After numerous inquiries circus lion tamers and animal trainers told me that the fight could be filmed with the realism I wanted using panthers, leopards, or lions but with a tiger it would be impossible. I was about to give in when I heard that the tigress from the TV show Sandokan was in Holland and it might be possible to use her. Her trainer arrived with three big cats in a huge cage. It was strange to see that the fierce beasts were kept under control by an intelligent dog of uncertain breed whose intervention was on occasion decisive. Before shooting the tiger has to be fed 25 chickens. If she'd been hungry the critter would have eaten me and the trainer for breakfast."

satans-sadists, X-human and russweiss like this.
  13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A tiger? In Holland?

I wondered if he would tangle with a real tiger seeing the poster. Knowing Naschy he would! Even if his autobiography is embellished I'm sure what made it on the screen will speak for itself (like Hunchback of the Morgue). They don't make 'em like they use to anymore do they? Like the shark sequence in Zombi 2 it's amazing what they'd do back then.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

COVER AND SPECS REVEAL!

Here is the cover art and the details for the upcoming limited edition blu for Paul Naschy's wild horror-fantasy-adventure yarn THE BEAST AND THE MAGIC SWORD!

BEAST is the last great film from Spanish horror legend Paul Naschy. Although he would go on making and planning films until his death in 2009, he never again attempted the epic sweep and grandeur of this 10th entry into the saga of Waldemar Daninsky, the man afflicted by the curse of lycanthropy.

In this film we get for the first time an origin story of how the Daninsky curse began back in the 10th century. We then move forward to 16th century Japan where Daninsky has travelled in search of a cure to his affliction. Co-starring Japanese stage and screen veteran Shigeru Amachi, and shot in the studios of Toshiro Mifune, The Beast and the Magic Sword is a highly successful and colourful melding of European werewolf legends and dark Japanese fantasy. It features a fight between werewolf and tiger, an evil scarlet cloaked witch who imprisons Daninsky, a sword fight with a troupe of ghost samurai, and many other unforgettable scenes.

This is the first Blu-ray release of this film and its first ever US release.

Brand new 4K restoration from the negative
    Region free disc
    Archival introduction to the film by Paul Naschy
    Archival documentary SMILE OF THE WOLF featuring Naschy discussing all of his werewolf films
    Brand new interview with Gavin Baddeley, author of The FrightFest Guide to Werewolf Movies
    Brand new audio commentary by Rodney Barnett and Troy Guinn of the Naschycast

Limited edition features include: A reversible cover with brand new art by Rick Melton on one side (censored here on FB but will be uncensored on the actual release) and classically cheesy original art on the flip side. A booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Richard Harland Smith. And rounding it out, a set of lobby card reproductions.

The current plan is to have this on sale in October during our annual Halloween Sale with a very short pre-order period, or perhaps even available to purchase right away. This also might be the first LE that will be available to purchase at our new website mondo-macabro.com (still under construction ATM), but that's not certain quite yet. Stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

x666x, othervoice1, Katatonia and 3 others like this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

That new artwork is so cheesy. I love it!

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes awesome artwork by Rick Melton. A great blend of Japanese and Eurotrash pulp. Very excited to get this release. Some great looking extras here. Curious to see Smile of the Werewolf! I've always enjoyed Richard Harland Smith colorful turn of phrase so I'm even looking forward to this booklet (which I normally forget to read).

That's the thing about "Halloween" sales; you get the stuff AFTER Halloween. :p