Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Facebook:
    [​IMG]
    Nice. I'll be throwing in Inheritors too then and I'll have to see what else. I'm pretty well caught up though since I pre-order everything in a red case.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    russweiss likes this.
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Also, the Killer of Dolls and Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death pre-orders from earlier in the Summer have also finally shipped after the small delay. I got my shipping confirmation this weekend.

Katatonia and gobad2003 like this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^ Mine arrived earlier today, #005 on both.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Damn is it this Friday already? I thought we'd have another week!

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

At 9:01 I picked up the Red Case Naschy and red case E. In America.

othervoice1 likes this.
  7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I picked up the Naschy, Dangerous Cargo, and Bushwackers.

othervoice1 and Angelman like this.
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered the naschy tonight. Guess it didn’t sell out within the first hour.

othervoice1 likes this.
  9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea that was the only one I was interested in and got it pre-ordered as well. It is a Naschy movie I have never seen before so I hope I enjoy it. The only other red case limited edition I have bought from them in the past was the Blood Spattered Bride

10. Katatonia

Stock update from Jared: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16969324&postcount=8936

I got my pre-order in the other day at 9am on the dot for both. Mind you, not for any low numbers... but because it ships out far faster that way.

maybrick likes this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I got caught sleeping and only started my purchase in at 9:14AM so it'll be interesting to see how late mine comes. Hundreds come in during the first minute. Unfortunately for me as a Naschy fan I would put in the effort to see it ASAP once it arrived so it was a bad time to be napping.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17129371&postcount=9238

Bummer. I wasn't anticipating this much of a delay. Not that it's an especially long delay. But back in August Jared even said at least BatMS would perhaps be in stock.

Hey we might get our Severin Black Friday orders before our Mondo Macabro Halloween orders! Might. ;)
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17131417&postcount=9258

15. maybrick

Does anybody here have the Devil Incarnate? I enjoy all of Naschy’s wolfman, vampire and mummy movies but I don’t go for Witchfinder General/Mark of the Devil type movies. It looks like it could go either way.

16. Katatonia

I have the LE red case edition. It's actually one of my favorite Naschy films now... but then again I do like the Witchfinder General/Mark of the Devil types. It has more of a fantasy/atmospheric element that those two do not have though, so I really wouldn't clump it with those two all that much... the similarity is really only skin-deep at best.

If I was recommending Naschy's film library to someone completely new to them, I'd recommend this one near the top of their bucket list. To those more familiar with Naschy's library of films, I'd still easily recommend it without hesitation. It's certainly far from boring or uninteresting.

maybrick likes this.
  17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's not so much like the witch hunter genre except that it's set during that time and mixes in some exploitation with its melodrama. There's no witch, no hunting of a witch, and while it's about Satan he doesn't really do too many overtly satanic "miracles." The closest film I can think of is Tower of Screaming Virgins but that's probably more obscure! It'd compare it more to "crime doesn't pay" films but a swash buckler kinda like an exploitation Robin Hood.

The movie is a little hard to categorize even though the plot description is fairly accurate; The Devil comes to earth in mortal form to see what Jesus made all the fuss about. But it doesn't really dwell on that much until the end. It could mostly be described as a tale of a mysterious robber grifting his way through Renaissance life, lust and love.

Unfortunately it left me a little cold; production wise it feels less ambitious than his other films and the themes Naschy says he wanted to impart hardly seem well served with what actually happens. But I'm in the minority of that opinion and I did enjoy it mostly. I should watch it again knowing now how it unfolds and perhaps I'll enjoy it more.

maybrick likes this.
  18. maybrick

Your last comments are the things that have me most concerned. A lot of people think it is his best film, but “best” how? Is it fun? Because that is what is important to me. Assignment Terror is fun. Fury of the Wolfman is fun. I mention Witchfinder General because it is often referred to as Vincent Price’s best role, and yet as much of a fan of him that I am it’s a film that is distasteful enough in subject matter that it doesn’t get revisited ever. Most of Naschy’s charm is in his cheese. If it’s a more serious affair I don’t know if it’s going to get more replay value in my house. Know what I mean?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    othervoice1 likes this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Coming late January or early February:
    I wonder what the optical fault was? Besides scratches it's hard to imagine anything that would happen during production that wouldn't carry over to prints. And that Jared would probably call a scratch a scratch so "optical fault" is an interesting description. Kinda curious to see it now! I'm glad they're including it though. I prefer the closest to the negative elements be used even with their faults.
    Never heard of this title even though I own the Shameless DVD. o_O But I'm buying this anyways. :D Even a quasi-giallo sounds good to me.

Katatonia and MorallySound like this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I know what you mean. And I think maybe my own disappointment is a mixture of the fact that it isn't especially deep when this is something raised up as Naschy's most insightful. But honestly that Naschy is never in a red leotard with horns, tail and a pitch fork is probably the biggest let down. Besides that it's textbook Naschy.

Fun and cheesy is still a good way to describe it. It's just not horror. It's all of the side action his monster movies have without the monster. Gratuitous setups for nudity. Seemingly random criminal activity. Occasional comedy send ups we mostly don't get because we're not Spanish and awkwardly laugh at instead. It's your basic Eurosleaze with a slight supernatural twist. It doesn't take itself very seriously and is a satire/black comedy. The term "bawdy" fits it well because it's Naschy hopping from one bed to another; sticking around long enough to cause some mayhem before he's on the lamb again. This includes a convent which come to think of it has an ironic exorcism.

If you like the oddball scenes between the horror of his other films then you'll almost certainly enjoy this. It's one vignette after another. If instead you fast forward to the werewolf attacks then no you'd just fast forward to the end.

maybrick likes this.