Mondo Macabro goes Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Apr 11, 2014.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Some updates posted on Blu-ray.com:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17229125&postcount=9421

Regarding the glitch on WCtBoD:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17235115&postcount=9434

So I watched my copy last night to verify and interestingly enough at 01:34:08 it froze and skipped t0 01:34:22 which was a little off and not by two minutes but close enough and consistent so I was going to email them. Maybe my PS4 handled it differently. But instead I examined the disk and there was a thin fragment of something so I blew it off and used a wipe to carefully get any other specs off; put it in and it played perfectly.

Quite the coincidence. Anyways, check your discs out peeps.

Very good movie by the way. It does have a giallo feel somehow although it's much more of an experimental film with horror and mystery elements. A little hard to take though during holiday seasonal depression. ;) Although the finale is a bit of a cop out imho. I suspect the producers and/or state censors forced a happy ending on it.

gobad2003, russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^^ Yeah, I checked my copies a few weeks back and didn't notice the glitches. They apparently didn't affect all copies, just a small amount.

My copies of Dangerous Cargo & The Beast of the Magic Sword just arrived. #004 on both copies.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gobad2003 and satans-sadists like this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Did the send you an email letting you know they shipped? I’m still waiting. I ordered the first day of the preorder, just not in the first six or so hours.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Shipping emails with tracking numbers are going out. Reportedly hundreds come in within the first couple of minutes so they're still in the early orders. I ordered within the first hour and still have not gotten an email yet. So it'll be a bit of a wait yet. Fortunately it tapers off after a short while so once they're over that hump it's not so long of a wait.

Really looking forward to Beast. I love Naschy and I love Japanese cinema. So this could be a match made in heaven.

6. MorallySound

Just got my shipping confirmation today for Dangerous Cargo and Beast and the Magic Sword.

7. maybrick

Nothing for me yet. At this rate, I should have just waited for the regular edition that will be out at Bull Moose in a couple of weeks and saved ten bucks, lol. Oh well.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My order just arrived yesterday.

9. maybrick

I actually got a shipping notice an hour after my last post. “Shipped” is just a flat out lie though. All they did is create the label. USPS didn’t receive the blu ray for another 3 days which is really irritating. I’ve run into this before and I don’t know why it happens. If USPS doesn’t come to you then make your customers happier and go to them, every day if necessary. It isn’t rocket science. It shouldn’t be taking 4 days just for a package to leave Seattle, and don’t tell me that it has shipped when in actuality it’s still sitting in a box in your apartment or office or wherever waiting to be picked up. That isn’t “shipped”, that’s “bullshit”.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    f.ramses likes this.
  10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

If you guys prefer Naschy's crazier outings, you may be disappointed in The Beast and the Magic Sword. It's a lot more restrained than the nuttier Hombre Lobo jaunts, and there are long dull stretches where the hairy one hardly appears. On the other hand, you eventually get an amazing scene where Naschy tangles with a real tiger--and they go at it harder than anything you usually see in a movie. Naschy claims he did it all himself, no stunt double.

From his autobiography, "Then came the day of the fight between Wolfman and tiger. After numerous inquiries circus lion tamers and animal trainers told me that the fight could be filmed with the realism I wanted using panthers, leopards, or lions but with a tiger it would be impossible. I was about to give in when I heard that the tigress from the TV show Sandokan was in Holland and it might be possible to use her. Her trainer arrived with three big cats in a huge cage. It was strange to see that the fierce beasts were kept under control by an intelligent dog of uncertain breed whose intervention was on occasion decisive. Before shooting the tiger has to be fed 25 chickens. If she'd been hungry the critter would have eaten me and the trainer for breakfast."

satans-sadists likes this.
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Next up Limited Editions pre-order date announce:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17273240&postcount=9561

Naturally I'll be ordering both. It sounds like the plan is to ship these soon after this pre-order date. Which I think work best for these exclusive releases.

Speaking of which, mine came in last Friday and I watched Beast and the Sword right away. As a Naschy fan and a Japanese sword fighting fan I found it to be the best of both worlds. Naschy really let the Japanese culture sink in as he spent some time over there making documentaries and another feature film before writing this one. So we get more than a few Japanese set pieces that mirror that iconic style for the genre and he also dabbled in a more Japanese expression of horror. It does start a little slow and flat in Europe but isn't any worse than his other stuff in that era. It's when the story gets to Japan that it really shines. It is surprisingly a solid 2 hours long. Also Naschy isn't the main focus of most of the Japanese sequences. So it really is more of a Japanese sword period piece with some ghosts, black magic and a werewolf. So in that sense I can see someone being disappointed. But as someone who use to spend his Saturday mornings watching Zatoichi on IFC it's pretty spectacular. In fact we get more ninja action than usual and, since it's Naschy, naked female ninja action to boot. My only complaint is that we don't have a Japanese audio track. The Japanese voice acting inflection is so ingrained in these sorts of films it's a bit lacking without it. I kinda overlaid my own voice work mentally in parts when characteristic scenes came up.

The werewolf wrestling the tiger was awesome. You can tell it's a real tiger wraslin' a real person and it's pretty long. I didn't see a clear look at the actor's face so I have some doubts Naschy did if for the simple fact that a trainer who worked extensively with the animal is the more logical choice. But when you're trying not to get eaten by a tiger I suppose mugging for the camera is a bit difficult. It's WAY better than his fight with the Yeti and it's up there with Zombie vs. Shark. Unfortunately it was shot in Spain and they didn't get great coverage. It has an almost nature documentary feel because of it.

I watched it in 1.66:1 and I liked the more theatrical framing. It does seem that a little bit of nudity is cut off because of it. For example I noticed the sorceress's sheer fabric is cropped while she's whipping Naschy. I don't know if it cropped anything else but at least that much is unseen. So it's great that they gave us both versions.

MorallySound likes this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

On sale Friday, February 14th at 12PM EST:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17341407&postcount=9666

Post 9666. ;)

Direct links:
    https://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/product/an-ideal-place-to-kill-limted-red-case-edition

https://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/product/satanico-pandemonium-limited-red-case-edition

MorallySound likes this.
  13. MorallySound

X-human likes this.
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I was able to place my order in less than a minute after the movies became available so let's see what numbers I receive.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Low-low stocks:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17351061&postcount=9749

Besides Strip-Tease, apparently The Snake God and maybe a few other OOP titles were also available but it was a blink and you'll miss them affair.

I got my order in at three minutes after so I'm guessing there's at least 300 before me. ;)

And with that we've got a bit of a blank slate as Jared's indicated future releases will not be announced until a release date is set.