More Cannibals from Shriek Show!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by zombi3, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

Do you have an HDTV? The problem is less noticable on regular TVs because the scanlines tend to break up the "stair stepping" that jumps out when you watch it in progressive mode. It's really prominent on horizontal and diagonal lines. Also scenes with a lot of foliage exhibit "morie patterns" when the camera moves.. Other than that there are scenes that have video noise in dark areas of the frame.

Granted this is not the worst transfer of a DVD I have ever seen. Also when this DVD was being announced all you heard was this was gonna be the best special edition Media Blasters ever released and blah blah... After it was released and it was apparent that they didn't even do a transfer of their own it was a disapointment. At least to me it was. In a Jungle Holocaust thread someone else noticed some of the problems as well. See below.

Jungle Holocaust thread

I guess I have higher standards than others. :rolleyes:

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I too have an HD TV and Jungle Holocaust looks fine to me. Mind you, I originally owned a murky bootleg copy of it. It is now cheaper, too. Plus, it comes with like ten lobby cards. Totally worth the price. And not a bad film IMO.

3. adric

adric New Member

do any of you know when cannibal holocaust is coming out from grindhouse? i just bought an old copy of it off ebay in a pack of cannibal movies and it will probably be a bad transfer. and do any of you know if the cannibal movies Mountain of the Cannibal God and The Last Cannibal World are any good?

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

JUNGLE HOLOCAUST actually is THE LAST CANNIBAL WORLD under a different title, and it is indeed a great film. MOUNTAIN is decent but nowhere near as good.

I don't have an HDTV; in fact I have a pretty shitty TV, but it looked great to me and heard many other compliments from people with nice set ups.

5. adric

adric New Member

does Jungle Holocaust(the last cannibal world) also go by Cannibal Holocaust 2?

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I highly doubt it, as JH was made 3 years before CH. IMDb does list this film as having an alternate title of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 2 though.

7. adric

adric New Member

ok well ive been confused on that because i was gonna get a Cannibal Holocaust 2 dvd and a JH dvd but i dont wanna end up buy the same movie 2 or 3 different times.

8. massacre in dinosaur valley was released on dvd in the UK as Cannibal Ferox 2. i've seen the german dvd and it is really a very nice film, but it is an adventure movie, not a cannibal movie. i recommend it.

i also saw another movie by director tarantini, called napoli si ribella (Man Called Magnum) which was also pretty good. so they shout release more of his movies. i believe he's sergio martino's nephew or cousin or so. anyway, he died last march aged 62.

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Haha, kind of ironic there. The thread has come full circle.

10. adric

adric New Member

so dinosaur valley is cannibal ferox 2? i saw CF2 on vhs at borders for 63 bucks...

11. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

According to Mondo Digital, Shriek Show will be releasing Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story some time down the road.

12. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I just bought this as "white slave" as part of a double feature with gestapo's last orgy. quality is terrible and full screen. Id double dip if Shriek Show does a better job than Shock-o-rama lol

13. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

How is this flick anyway? I've never actually seen it, but I'll likely get it anyway.

14. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

It is typical Italian cannibal exploitation. if you know going into it not to expect much, you will probably enjoy it because it has some truly laughable scenes. horrible "shock" special effects. it seems like its trying to be like Cannibal Holocaust but ends up about as serious as Ferox. You'll like it if you're into the genre.

15. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Thanks, I'm sold! :glasses:

16. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

The US release date for the Amazonia dvd is Aug 30, for those who are interested. Seems like a fun little flick. Pile on the cheese! :evil:

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I found it out early last night. I'm sad to report that SS has yet again screwed up a release. Those of you with HDTV's probably won't be affected, but I only have one HD set to check it on. Those of you with old 4:3 TV's will probably be disappointed. I find this bizarre...but I checked it on 3 players, and on two different brand 4:3 TV's. The DVD is indeed anamorphic widescreen and looks great on an HDTV or a computer (with PowerDVD at least) ... but for some odd unexplainable reason it plays the movie heavily cropped full-screen on normal TV's. There's obviously some glitch with it for it to do the same thing on two sets. I've never had a "widescreen" DVD in normal NTSC format do this before now.

As for the extras: trailers, stills gallery, and an easter egg that plays the alternate English opening credits.

18. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

wow, thats really messed up. Damn you SS! Well I hope its better than the White Slave/Gestapo's last orgy double feature I have lol

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Strange, but won't affect me. I forgot this one was coming, so I'll add this to my must get list :)

20. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Did you play around with the settings on your dvd player? I remember having a similar problem with Dario Argento's Phantom of the Opera disc. The widescreen side played full frame, so I had to set the player to 4:3 mode in order for it to work correctly. All my other widescreen dvds played fine without having to reset the player.