More NASCHY and Spanish Horror on the way!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by razorbackattack, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Look what's coming this year on REGION 1 NTSC!

NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF (THE CRAVING)
    EXORCISM
    NIGHT OF THE SORCERERS - Amando de Ossorio film
    VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES
    DRACULA'S SAGA -- Leon Klimovsky film
    LORELEY'S GRASP -- Amando de Ossorio film
    HUMAN BEASTS
    HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB
    BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL

go to the great Latarnia forum for more info!

http://p210.ezboard.com/fthelatarniaforumsfrm1

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Woo, I'll be checking some of these out. Thanks for the info! :banana:

3. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yes! Would LOVE a nice DVD of 'Horror Rises From The Tomb' to replace my Brentwood disc!

4. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

bwana, do you know if the Brentwood disc is uncut? I also have it and haven't watched it because of fears of it being cut.

I'm pretty new with Spanish horror and now I have a fair amount, but haven't watched it yet. From what I've seen, it reminds me of Universal or Hammer except with some splashes of gore and nudity. I really enjoy that combo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  5. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I hope they are not dubbed and if they are that the spanish track is included.

6. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Sweet. I have been waiting a long, long time for Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll and Lorelei's Grasp.

7. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

No idea I'm afraid as it's the only version I've seen. All I can say it did have some gore and nudity - and given the few other Naschy films I've seen (Curse Of The Devil / Werewolfs Shadow), I wouldn't expect much more gore than there is.

8. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

There is an uncut Horror Rises from the Tomb disc from Mondo Crash...it has been out for a couple of years

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i've read that the brentwood disc is uncut.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I own that one. It includes three different versions of the film. Pretty nice two-discer actually.

I'd have to check again, but I'm fairly sure the Brentwood version is heavily cut.

11. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Horror Rises From The Tomb

I also have the Mondo Crash release.

Here it is at AMAZON.COM ---> CLICK HERE

As you can see the artwork is kewl and the price is right BUT there is a downside.

As mentioned there are multiple (no less than three) versions of the movie included. The one that is uncut is full screen and taken from an old video master. It looks good enough for such a rare title I suppose but the version that is presented widescreen and remastered looks SO good that it is a shame the totally uncut version looks so poor in comparison.

The remastered widescreen version is the "clothed" version ala Jess Franco (who often shot scenes clothed and with nudity for different markets) and is interesting as the scenes are different "takes" etc.

The 3rd version presented is the "cut" USA version which I bet is the version released by Brentwood.

I'm interested in more info on the new release as well as the other movies. Mondo Crash had announced a release of NIGHT OF THE SORCERERS but to the best of my knowledge it never did come out. I really want a nice version of that movie!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Update from the Latarnia Forums:
    http://p210.ezboard.com/fthelatarniaforumsfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=651.topic&start=1&stop=20

I really don't see how the BB exclusiveness is good news, I can get a better prince online without paying tax. I'd have to probably wait a year for the exclusive to end just to get these at a decent price.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like a few Best Buy's have already put Night of the Werewolf and Vengeance of the Zombies on store shelves in some areas. Anyone pick it up yet? What's the price tag and UPC of the 2-pack they're selling? I'm having a hell of a time finding it and would like to have a UPC as a tool for searches and the cost to know if it's even worth finding at Best Buy.

DVDBeaver posted a comparison already of Night of the Werewolf: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews30/night_of_the_werewolf.htm

14. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I've got a web site put together for Night of the Sorcerers that I've been holding off officially announcing because I wanted to plug these releases (I'm contributing materials to the NOTS disc, so there is interest for me too)...Originally these were up for order on Deep Discount, but not only did they pull the listings off their site, they also cancelled my order for them even though when I called checking on the status, they had told me the movies had just arrived...

Currently (or at least, last I checked) they were showing up on Amazon, and I had planned on posting the new links and launching my site already, but maybe I should check on that too...

Sigh..BTW, those first two titles were showing up under their Spanish titles, the names escape me now, but you can find that out by looking them up on IMDB, then doing an Amazon search for the Spanish title... I guess.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

CD Universe has the 2-pack listed on their website:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7406641&style=movie&BAB=E

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Thanks. I learned that the price at Best Buy is $19.99, so even with the cost of shipping and before tax CD Universe is cheaper and I'll go that route.

Reviews I've seen have all been very positive, people even saying the excellent quality of the releases has allowed them to appreciate the films now more than ever before.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I always look for reasons to not shop with Best Buy! :)

Check these reviews out with some cool photos:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n-s/nightofthewerewolf80.htm

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/vengeanceofzombies72.htm

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Tim Lucas also did a nice little write up on'em over on his blog:
    http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/2007/04/night-of-werewolf-oh-what-night.html
    http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/2007/04/viva-naschy-viva-bci-viva-lipinski.html

And I was mistaken about CD Universe, they charged it as two items so shipping was not cheaper than Best Buy pre-tax but is still cheaper than it post-tax... I think. Plus it's still cheaper than the DeepDiscount order I had that was canceled. Those boys canceled themselves right out of a fist full of cash. :shrug:

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Finally saw these last night and first of all the video quality is top notch, we're talking Synapse Films level of remastering. They also come with a video introduction by Paul Naschy which are short and sweet.

Vengeance of the Zombies is some fun gothic horror with some giallio sensibilities tossed in for a lark. The pacing is a bit plodding and visual design dull but one can never complain about undead vixens doing satanic deeds while wearing black see through night gowns with nothing underneth.

Night of the Werewolf on the other hand is pitch perfect gothic horror with fantastic production values. It's got everything an undead feature should have. I can't recommend it enough if you want to see the best Naschy has to offer.

I can't really recommend Zombies accept to Naschy fans, but Werewolf I'd recommend to any horror fan. I feel the price is right for the two pack, but if you only want to buy one get Werewolf.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Last edited: May 31, 2007