More NASCHY and Spanish Horror on the way!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by razorbackattack, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Sweet indeed. I hope BB will have those as a two-fer like they did for Vengence of the Zombies and Night of the Werewolf.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I just watched both of these films in the past week. Really enjoyed both. I think BCI did a great job with the packaging and extras.

Night of the Werewolf was a straight up old school gothic horror complete with a spooky old castle and terrific werewolf kills. Countess Bathory disappointed me a little, but Erika made a perfect villain.

I actually enjoyed Vengeance of the Zombies more. I liked all of the voodoo rituals, the crazy masks worn by a certain character, and that bizarre soundtrack in all of its inappropriate glory. Many surreal scenes, especially the appearance of the Devil himself.

I would recommend both of these.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Awesome cover art! :glasses: If Night of the Werewolf and Vengeance of the Zombies are any indication, these are definite must buys.

I've never seen Night of the Sorcerers, but in all honesty, how can you go wrong with leopard skin bikini wearing vampire women? :evil: :evil:

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You know, I must be very desensitized in my old age because while I agree all those elements are good I just kinda brushed 'em all off. I mean with the chicken scene I just kinda thought, "Hey, looks like they really did it too." People write how shocking it is and for me it just felt standard like "this is what European horror pretty much is." I guess I need to stop watching all those crazy mondo exploitation films. Music was great though, I still hum the opening/closing song now and then.

I just really liked Night of the Werewolf for some reason. It's hard to put my finger on why exactly but it just came off so perfectly without a hitch. I guess I didn't think Naschy had it in him so it took me completely by surprised. While I could see Naschy doing Vengeance I felt budget limitations and production limitations would always prevent Naschy from doing something as polished as Night. It's also great to see that he directed it, shows how underrated he is as it's one of the best gothic horror films I've ever seen.

I guess from now on I'll recommend both because more and more people are saying they liked Vengeance.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who had the opening & closing song from Vengeance in my head. I just saw it for the first time on Monday and it's still playing. :lol:

I agree on Naschy's direction. He did a great job with Night of the Werewolf.

Now if only we had a smilie here of a howling werewolf...

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Deep Discount has Night of the Werewolf listed under The Craving. This was one of the film's alternate titles, so perhaps this mistake can be forgiven.

Vengeance of the Zombies however is listed as Horror Rises from the Tomb, an entirely different Naschy film.

No wonder why the Deep Discount search function is good for shit. :rolleyes:

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What's even worse is that this isn't the first time. They made the mistake originally and pulled these items from their listings towards the beginning of the year. So when they put the items back into inventory the same mistake was made a second time.

Well at least they're consistant.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Blind Dead movies like most people here, but I'm afraid Night of the Sorceror just wasn't very good.

9. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Just thought I'd throw in a shameless plug since Exorcism and Night of the Sorcerers was brought up...

I've just finished my Night of the Sorcerers web site and it has officially launched...I welcome all suggestions, critique, ideas, contributions etc. Please take a look!

[​IMG]

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

From DVD Drive-in:

Arriving on 10/23/07

HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB

In 15th century France, the warlock Alaric de Marnac is beheaded for crimes against humanity and his equally vile mistress viciously killed, but not before the pair put a curse upon the decedents of their executioners. So starts HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB, one of Paul Naschy's most gruesome and sensational films. With its midnight séances, the undead rising from marshes, generous doses of nudity, blood-drenching heart-ripping and eerie atmosphere, HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB rightfully deserves its place as a hallmark of euro-horror.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Complete uncut version of the film * Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) * Two audio tracks: In Castilian with English subtitles and English dubbed track * Introduction by star Paul Naschy * Audio Commentary with Paul Naschy and director Carlos Aured. Moderated by Angel Gomez Rivero * U.S. Theatrical trailer * Spanish credit sequence * Still gallery of photos from the film and posters and other advertising material from around the world * Liner notes by author Mirek Lipinski (www.naschy.com) with rare photos and stills. SRP: $12.98

THE LORELEY’S GRASP

In a town by the Rhine river, young women are turning up dead...savagely torn to pieces and their hearts missing. Concerned that whatever beast is doing these horrible murders will end up attacking its female students, a nearby school for young women hires an experienced hunter to find and kill the creature. The hunter will soon find out that this is no ordinary beast that craves human hearts, but rather a deceptive, alluring and mysterious being—the Loreley--who is already looking for another heart to use in a gruesome ancient ritual.

Amando de Ossorio, creator of the Blind Dead series, once again employs a national legend to strike terror into the viewer, this time Germany’s seductive destroyer of men, the Loreley. Featuring femme-fatale icon Helga Line, THE LORELEY’S GRASP mixes savage horror and haunting romanticism to create another memorable classic from the director who gave us some of the most shocking and impacting images in euro-horror.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Complete uncut version * Fullscreen (4x3) ? Two audio tracks: In Castilian with English subtitles and English dubbed track * U.S. Theatrical trailer * Spanish credit sequence ? Still gallery * Liner notes by author Mirek Lipinski (www.naschy.com) with rare photos and stills. SRP: $12.98

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They're lowering the MSRP. Good thing or bad thing for Deimos?

Well I'll be getting this, I'll probably skip over the Midnite Movies and stick with these types of releases for the season. More my style.

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I just got VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES from DVDPlanet and it's the cat's meow. Great film - I used to hate these films when I was a kid, but now I just love, love, love 'em. The quality was excellent, by the way. I'm getting them all.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Vengeance of the Zombies has been my favorite thus far from this new line of dvds. I just ordered Exorcism and Night of the Sorcerers this week.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

DVD Drive-In:

After their November releases of the Spanish horror classics HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB and THE LORELI’S GRASP, BCI will add two more Paul Naschy titles to their “Spanish Horror Collection” with special editions of BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL (aka HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN) and HUMAN BEASTS. They should arrive sometime in early 2008, but we’ll have more details soon.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I just bought a double-disc issue of NIGHT OF THE SORCERERS and EXORCISM at Best Buy. The liner notes for both films are in the first compartment. $17.99. Not a bad deal for both!

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Those of you who picked up the Horror Rises / Loreli's Grasp double feature pack from Best Buy may have noticed it was missing one of the liner notes for one of the movies. BCI is offering a replacement program for those who want it:

Good guys over at BCI.

17. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll and Human Beasts will be out on 3/25 according to fangoria.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

DVD Drive-In:

Fangoria has posted the above cover art and this exciting blurb about BCI/Deimos' next "Spanish Horror Collection" releases starring Paul Naschy: "The next two Paul Naschy vehicles howling on the Deimos label, CURSE OF THE DEVIL and WEREWOLF SHADOW, will be out June 10, both uncut in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen with theatrical trailers, still galleries and liner notes. SHADOW will also be accompanied by the U.S. version titled THE WEREWOLF VS. THE VAMPIRE WOMAN; each disc retails for $14.98."

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I wasn't exactly aching for Deimos to release these two considering AB already did and I own both, but if I can snag them for free (which may very well happen) I'll gladly take them.

I'm still hoping they'll do THE HANGING WOMAN one of these days.

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Werewolf Shadow!!!!!!!!!!!!