Most overrated movie in the IMDB top 10 horror films.

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Dark Lord, Nov 4, 2001.

?

What is the most overrated film in the top 10 horror movies of IMDB.com??

1. Psycho

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Silence of the Lambs

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Sixth Sense

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  4. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Alien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aliens

6 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. The Shining

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jaws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kabinett des Doktor Caligari

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. The Others

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Guest

I think that all films include in the IMDB top 10 horror film are great....but for some reasons, I don't think The Others should be put in a "top 10 horror movie of all-time" list. What is your choice?

2. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I voted for the `Sixth Sense` i personally thought `The Others` was far superior and it did put me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie, the sixth sense had one decent scare and Bruce Willis!! =^,^= `The Others` is certainly the best example of a haunted house movie ive ever seen.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've never really understood all the praise Silence Of The Lambs has gotten. Sure it is a good film, but the other two Lecter films are better (IMO) and the Academy must have been smoking something out there for it to win the top 5 Oscars. Hopkins was in top form in SOTL though, but the rest of the film seemed meandering and unfocussed, just waiting for that "he's still out there" conclusion. A good film with a few excellent scenes...no more, no less.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Sorry but i gotta pass on this one. These are all favorite films of mine (exept for The Others which i haven't seen yet) and none of them seemed overrated at all. I think Silence of the Lambs deserved all the attention and Oscars that it got so i have to disagree here with you rhett :)
    [​IMG]
    Quid pro quo, Dr. Lecter

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm gonna wait until I see the Others to vote. I'm leaning toward Sixth Sense thou. This movie was boring me to tears until the ending. A second viewing bored me and didn't have that nice suprise, so a third view is out of the question.

6. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

Though I think I've only seen 8 of the films, I voted anyway.

I voted for the Shining, which I know most people love, but I just can't get into. I liked the book, but the movie just struck me as dull and weird. I couldn't get into it.

It's probably just me, though.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It was a tough call, but I finally decided on Aliens. There are some scary parts to it, but overall it's more of a sci-fi/action film. Besides, there isn't a need for two sequels on the top 10, especially when there are some obvious choices missing, such as Exorcist, TCM, and Night of the Living Dead. The sixth sense and The others are too new to justifiable consider them for the top 10. Not enough time has past to judge whether or not they are indeed classics. That's why The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame waits 25 years to induct artists.

Silence of the Lambs is a great movie. It's not overrated. Unfortunately, Anthony Hopkins is. I hate him in everything I've seen him in. And I want to hit people whenever they start reciting that fava beans line.

Jaws is good, but again, it seems more like an action film to me than horror. There are some scary moments though.

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Guest

I simply can't understand why someone vote Caligari as an overrated movie, it is a true work of art, one of the best horror movies of all-time that truly deserves its place in the top 10. Well...to each his own.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Sorry to say this but....

I do not believe that one who voted for Calligari really knows what horror cinema is all about and he should stuck with Julia Roberts comedies and Steven Siegal action flicks. For all eternity.

10. ctyankee

ctyankee Guest

The Other - Spoiler

Spoiler - Spoiler - Spoiler -

While I also believe that The Shining was a mediocre movie and further I believe that if more people read the book the movie would have been a disappointment for them .... my vote still goes to The Others. Visually terrific and I can watch Nicole Kidman forever .. however the movie has major premise gaps in it that ruined it for me.

For example, in this Ghost existence the other ghosts work and (work for other ghosts) because ...?

Even more of a problem, the mother believes that they can go to the nearest village because why ...?

Even more of a problem, the old ghosts lie to the mother (or go along with her delusion) and say that they did talk to the priest (from the village) about coming to the house when (the older ghosts) stated objective is for the mother to leave her delusions ... then why?

Finally, when you go to a ghost movie you need to accept some premises ... ahh... like there are ghosts for example. No problem. Here you need to buy that some ghosts can present themselves to others ghosts when they choose and others cannot. More importantly, you need to buy the premise that the ghosts can use objects around them - like fire a gun at other ghosts where the bullets go right through them yet at the same time understand why these bullet passthrough ghosts cannot pass through doors.

Rich

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Old ass thread, but I went with the Sixth Sense. Didn't like the Others either, but at least it had atmosphere going for it. I'm sure the top 10 is probably a bit different now.

12. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I have never liked The Sixth Sense. A movie that depends almost fully on the ending, which for me was pretty obvious half way through.

13. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

THE SIXTH SENSE, definitely. Gimmicky ending with no rewatchability.

I don't know why THE OTHERS is on the list either, but it's a better film than THE SIXTH SENSE, so I didn't vote for it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

After all of this time I still say I have to stick with ALIENS, although really NONE of them except PSYCHO and THE SHINING deserve to make the top 10. :lol:

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I chose the SIXTH SENSE. For the "life" of me, seeing this classified as horror makes me cringe. It's fascinating, mysterious but not the least bit scary, disturbing, frightening or scream-out-loud terrifying. It's very "Twilight Zone" (and, apparently, viewers actually surprised by the ending have never even seen a Twilight Zone episode, lol) which isn't really horror, either.
    Good movie, though. Overrated for sure.

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I kind of think that is a good list of good movies. I have my personal faves but I can't vote for one that doesn't belong - because they are all pretty good.

17. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Really?! You think Hannibal is better than The Silence of the Lambs? I'll give you Manhunter, as I love that film. And, I assume there's no way that you think Red Dragon is a better film.

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Aliens is a fun, popcorn-munching action movie with gruesome Sci-Fi elements, but it doesn't belong on that list (neither do The Others or The Sixth Sense, but at least they have more in common with the other films listed than Aliens [and that's even acknowledging that it's a sequel to one of the films listed, :D]).

19. Looks like I voted for the majority again, as I included The Sixth Sense in my vote. It's also not really horror. Well made, but slightly overrated in my eyes.

Interestingly enough, I just recently asked scabboy of scabboy.net, on his YouTube blogs what HE thought the most overrated as all fuck genre film was, and me and him actually agree'd, even if it may be a bit controversal. He was actually kind enough to answer an entire fuck load of my questions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFoDvmFD8o&feature=channel_page

20. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Unquestionably The Sixth Sense...