Most overrated movie in the IMDB top 10 horror films.

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Dark Lord, Nov 4, 2001.

?

What is the most overrated film in the top 10 horror movies of IMDB.com??

1. Psycho

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Silence of the Lambs

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Sixth Sense

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  4. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Alien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aliens

6 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. The Shining

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jaws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kabinett des Doktor Caligari

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. The Others

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

The top 10 has changed over the last 7.5 years. Here it is now:

1. Psycho
    2. Alien
    3. The Shining
    4. Aliens
    5. Diabolique
    6. Jaws
    7. Let the Right One In
    8. Faust (1926)
    9. The Thing (1982)
    10. Frankenstein (1931)

I liked Let the Right One In as much as anyone but #7 of all time? :lol:

2. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Gotta disagree. If there is a film which straddles the horror and sci-fi genres, this is surely it. I'm probably as impervious to nightmares as anyone but the couple I've had were based on Aliens. The sense of foreboding as the marines approach the planet, and sheer terror when they first encounter the aliens is remarkable. It quickly descends into hopelessness when they are trapped inside the station and realise the extent of the threat surrounding them. Claustrophobia supreme! I love older films and probably discriminate against anything post 1970s but think this is superb.

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

'Let the Right One In' is up there for the same reason 'Sixth Sense' and 'The Others' were on the list a few years back- they all just happen to be the current horror hit. Not long from now it will have dropped from the list even though it is a great film. What I want to know is why the hell 'Twilight' didn't make the Top 10?! :lol:

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No, Aliens is a sci-fi/action/fantasy. The original is a horror film, not the rest. Star Wars isn't even sci-fi (this issue was covered in this one sci-fi course my friend took) and yeah, it's considered fantasy.

The original is set-up like a slasher movie that just so happens to take place in space. Aliens is not horror at all. It has horror elements to it, but it's more sci-fi/action than anything else.

~Matt

5. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I wouldn't consider Aliens a horror movie either. Alien 1 and Alien 3, I would.

6. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Just because a sci-fi course considers Star Wars a fantasy film doesn't mean it's the definitive word on the subject. Who is to say what the definitive genre classification is for any film aside from the filmmakers themselves. There are plenty of people out there who still argue that Alien isn't a horror film. It takes place in outer space, so it must be a goddamn sci-fi film, right?

I agree though, Aliens is definitely straight-up sci-fi/action. :)

7. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

This one is easy for me. Without a doubt, The Shining. I never for the life of me understood why people liked this movie. I guess they didn't read the book. and WTF is up with "Tony" speaking through the kids finger????

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The horror genre doesn't hold a monopoly on nightmare inducing imagery. Thousands of people all over the world cite The Wicked Witch from THE WIZARD OF OZ as one of the biggest creators of nightmares and yet only a fool would ever confuse that movie with a horror movie. That feeling you get in that scene from ALIENS? I find that in a lot of "War" movies, too.

But anyways, so you disagree. Whatever! I don't want to get into the age old discussion of the "definition" of horror. Whatever floats your boat, man. (Don't know if you noticed, but I wrote that post nearly 7 and a half years ago!)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I read the book first and found it to be nothing more than a time waster. Then I saw the film and I thought it was truly great, and this was before I really knew who Kubrick was. Someone talked me into reading the book again and I just couldn't do it, I found it to be quite terrible.

I'll give you the finger thing though, but overall the kid was really good. Normally I hate a kid in a flix, but he did alright for himself.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Errrr....what exactly is wrong with The Shining? It's an extremely well-made film (albeit a little long). But look at the book, it wouldn't have translated well to film. The hedge animals coming alive? That would've looked stupid as hell if they incorporated that into the movie. I like to look at it this way: The book wouldn't have worked as a movie and the movie wouldn't have worked well as a book. I think Kubrick made the right changes. Sure Stephen King bashed The Shining, but most movie adaptations of his novels end up better than his books. (Misery, Carrie, The Dead Zone...) Just because the movie isn't exactly like the book doesn't mean it's bad. There are tons of films that are different than the books. The Tarnished Angels (based on the book Pylon by Ernest Hemingway) and To Have and Have Not (also by Hemingway) are different than the books, but they still work well as films. Stephen King has good ideas, but I'm sorry, he's a terrible writer. I still have no idea how he was able to sell Carrie as his first book. That book was fucking godawful. He's written a few good ones, but they're extremely few and VERY far between.

I'm just saying that the people who organize these courses are experts in the field of film study. They have their Ph.D's, so I think they'd know a thing or two about film classification. There are entire courses on genre study, and trust me, it's not down to the filmmaker to decide what genre a film is. It's really nobody's decision, but through analyzing these films, you notice how certain themes are more overbearing than others. Star Wars ends up being more fantasy than sci-fi, Alien ends up being more horror than sci-fi. I mean look at the movie, it's about an unseen monster killing off a group of people, one by one...sounds like a slasher. The fact that it takes place in space isn't all that important. That's the backdrop.

~Matt

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

The most overrated has to be The Sixth Sense. Absolute Crap!!, as is just about anything M. Night has done.

The best on this list is by far The Silence of the Lambs, followed by The Shining and Psycho.

12. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

:eek: Yeah, I misread the thread and voted which title did not belong on the list, rather than which was overrated.

Overrated would be The Sixth Sense. Big twist was fairly obvious, but that doesn't mean it was bad, just not mind-blowing enough for me to need to re-watch the film.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

In order to have a definitive word on the subject you must first understand the definition of the word "Science Fiction", and the definition of "science fiction" isn't open to debate. In fact, it's pretty cut and dried. Sci-Fi isn't just "anything that has to do with robots, aliens, fancy gadgetry, rocket ships, and space travel". Science Fiction is "Fiction extrapolated from known scientific concepts". That's where it's roots lie and once you understand that, it's pretty easy to see how STAR WARS falls into the category of "Fantasy", not "Science Fiction".

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Sixth Sense easily. Sure, the ending was great once...and I honestly have no interest in seeing it again.

15. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I can't believe that anyone would choose THE SIXTH SENSE over THE OTHERS.

THE OTHERS sucked rocks.

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I agree the sixth sense is more a suspense film then horror- but it is a great movie if you didnt know anything about it-and even after seeing it once I still admire it. The others was just okay to me - dont see it as anything special and amazes me it even made the list.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The Sixth Sense is more psychological thriller I'd say. It's not exactly a suspense movie, but it's on the border of being psychological thriller/horror. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but M. Night Shayamalan has gone SERIOUSLY downhill since.

~Matt

18. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Sixth Sense, never understood the praise.

Mediocre movie at best.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

On whole I think they're all solid films but I would have to go with THE SIXTH SENSE.I felt it was slightly overrated when it came out and the whole "phenomenon" aspect of it's release became wearying.By the way,this list of ''the best'' horrors is way too frontloaded with fairly recent films.It lacks scope and a sense of perspective (guess that's the nature of IMDB though,the new stuff always gets the hits).

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Went with Aliens as it's the one on the list that i don't consider horror at all. I agree, the Sixth Sense is more suspense then horror as well, but I'm going to go with Aliens anyway.

As for all this hate towards Sixth Sense!? I don't get it at all, as it's a really well made, well acted movie with a great script. Sure once you've seen it once, the ending doesn't hold the same impact (Do any shock endings?), but I think the movie still works. I love that he barely uses music in his movies, and lets the quietness and the sound effects create the mood, and when music is used it's a score, not the top 10 of music at that time soundtrack like most other movies these days. I also think he is great at character development and really making you feel for each character, and really putting you into each scene. He also always seems to get the best out of his actors, with Sixth Sense and Unbreakable probably being Bruce Willi's best performances to date.

I think this movie gets shit on so much because lately his movies haven't been too great and rely more on shock endings then story, but I think Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs (minus the shock ending) were all very well made movies in every sense. Actually reading over most of people's opinions on here they say that they hate it because it's overrated. I never got that, because a movie has a lot of hype behind it, even if you enjoyed it, you consider it a failure because it didn't end up being the best movie of all time. Going into any movie expecting the best movie of all time will leave you disappointed, I promise you!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009