Most overrated movie in the IMDB top 10 horror films.

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Dark Lord, Nov 4, 2001.

?

What is the most overrated film in the top 10 horror movies of IMDB.com??

1. Psycho

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Silence of the Lambs

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Sixth Sense

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  4. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Alien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aliens

6 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. The Shining

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jaws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kabinett des Doktor Caligari

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. The Others

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

"Anything that has to do with robots, aliens, fancy gadgetry, rocket ships, and space travel"? Who were you quoting there? That certainly wasn't me.

As for the definition of "science fiction" not being open to debate, that's really not true. Where did you find your definition and what makes it the definition? I personally like the definition you provided but I also pulled this one out of the American Heritage Dictionary:

science fiction
    n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.
    sci'ence-fic'tion (sī'əns-fĭk'shən) adj.

Hmm, sounds like Star Wars might fit under there....

Anyways, this is all just nit-picking. I'm just tired of people making these definitive statements about what genre a film is like they're the final word on the subject. It's not always a black or white choice- there are gray areas especially when trying to stick a film into a single genre.

2. Darga

OK, my idea that it's up to the filmmaker to decide what genre his film is was kind of out there. I was just thinking that if I went out with the intent of making a horror film and in the end the critics and audience label it as science fiction, who the hell is right? God, this is stupid idea so I'm just dropping it......

And my line about "It takes place in outer space, so it must be a goddamn sci-fi film, right?" was meant to be facetious. I most definitely agree that Alien is much more a horror film than sci-fi.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I paraphrased my definition of Sci-Fi, but it jibes with the one available on dictionary.com. STAR WARS isn't based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments. George Lucas based Star Wars on Akira Kurasawa's THE HIDDEN FORTRESS and a bunch of other fantasy elements and changed the backdrop to outer space. Forget about the space ships and aliens. It's simply an old fashioned story about a boy with dreams of greatness going on a journey with a merry band of wanderers to save a princess from a Black Knight with sword and sorcery. That definition by the American Heritage Dictionary throws in extra concepts the majority of average people assume to be true of the genre, but most Sci-Fi writers and their hard core fans are in agreement that things like STAR WARS isn't true "Science Fiction", it's "Science Fantasy".

4. Darga

I refuse to accept that terminology- it's Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well if the director had the intentions to make a horror film but everyone ends up interpreting the film as sci-fi, the director failed at what he set out to do, no? The film might not be bad, per se, but if the director started out with the intention of making a horror film and ended up making a sci-fi...something's wrong.

Well not really, since there's no solid evidence that there is life beyond our solar system, the idea of life beyond earth is mere fantasy. It's the plotline that makes Star Wars fantasy.

~Matt

6. Darga

I don't understand your argument in this case. Maybe I'm reading that definition of science fiction differently than you, but to me that encompasses Star Wars completely since it is a film in which fantasy, based on space travel and life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background. It thereby easily satisfies the terms of the definition.

Oh boy, it's a slow day at work today.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Who voted for Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens?

8. Darga

It wasn't me! I voted for The Others although The Sixth Sense is just as worthy of being tossed off the list.

9. maybrick

Science Fantasy is a legitimate term and has been around for decades. I didn't just make it up. Rod Serling himself once said, "Science fiction makes the implausible possible, while science fantasy makes the impossible plausible."

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You know that popped into my head the first time I read that list too. Now I like a couple of snoozers myself, but Nosferatu is rather lacking in my book. Great for its time perhaps, and still iconic, but somewhat mishappen when you look at the core of it. Herzog gave if better form with his remake.

11. maybrick

It's a little bit more than that. It's mostly the concept of "The Force" that makes STAR WARS Science Fantasy. "The Force" isn't science, it's magic and in true Sci-Fi magic is verboten.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Well,"The Force" WAS magical until Lucas decided it was akin to a blood disease in PHANTOM MENACE.That change moved it out of the ''fantasy" realm and into the "crap" genre.

Not that I'm bitter.....

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL so now crap's a genre all its own! :lol:

~Matt

14. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I think the argument about STAR WARS not being science fiction is basically that there's really nothing inherent in the plot that makes it science fiction. You could tweak it here and there and make it a western, a war movie, a samurai film [which is what the original story was from] etc, and basically have the same story. The existence of aliens, ray guns, etc., is not really important to the film--they're just part of the setting. There's no speculation, no "What if" in the story.

Something like GATTACA, BLADE RUNNER, or Carpenter's THE THING would be examples of science fiction to me.

In the end, it's not a big deal to me whether it is or not, that's just my take on it.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think the Death Star is perhaps reason enough to call it science fiction. The plot hindges on the fact that there is a weapon that can destroy an entire planet. I don't see how that can translate as effectively into any other genre; how can indians blow up an entire planet of cowboys? And it's science too, not The Force.

I use to be in the "Star Wars is Fantasy" camp but that thought just occured to me.

16. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

The Death Star was the "hidden fortress" in the samurai movie of the same name, so it's not impossible. The original story was taken from a non-science fiction film.

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Apart from Alien (and Aliens, which is as much an action film as it is horror), none of those is actually a favourite with me...

I've always thought that Jack Nicholson was miscast and that The Shining was overlong, despite being technically impressive.

The Others and The Sixth Sense are both competent, but they lean more towards drama, and are not really the best or purest examples of the genre...

18. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Siixth Sense..pretty easily.

19. maybrick

Actually, The Hidden Fortress was a place of refuge for the heroes near the beginning of the film. It's true that THE HIDDEN FORTRESS inspired George Lucas, but it was in the development of C-3PO and R2-D2, not of The Death Star.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Simply put, Star Wars is not science fiction. It just isn't. The whole setting is the backdrop of the film, much like Alien being a horror movie that just so happens to take place in space. Space does not make a movie science-fiction. Blade Runner, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, La Jetée, THOSE are science-fiction films (among many others) but Star Wars doesn't technically classify as being one.

~Matt